Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 02:12 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
LOL!! Chow and I are cracking up. We've never heard that before.

I had a 1962 Chevie Impala. We wood go to the Skyview Drive-in & park in one of the back rows...

Old 09-27-2009, 03:16 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,955,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I had a 1962 Chevie Impala. We wood go to the Skyview Drive-in & park in one of the back rows...

Weren't those the days!!! I miss drive-ins.
The cartoons that played before the movie started...the orange drinks that came in a plastic orange with a straw.....geez I feel old!

Old 09-27-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
The cartoons that played before the movie started...the orange drinks that came in a plastic orange with a straw.....geez I feel old!

go on the swings in the playground up front

in the summer, put a blanket on the ground by the speakers.

one drive-in close by in CA had 4 screens.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:58 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Quote:
go on the swings in the playground up front

in the summer, put a blanket on the ground by the speakers.

one drive-in close by in CA had 4 screens.

Yeah, I loved drive-ins, too. Making sure to take the speaker off before you drive away... Couldn't they come up with a heavier, clunkier design to hang on your window? Actually, later they started with the little antenna wire thingy. Great improvement to drive-in technology and then they all close down.

Which one(s) in CA are you talking about, Hawk? Maybe we've been there.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I loved drive-ins, too. Making sure to take the speaker off before you drive away... Couldn't they come up with a heavier, clunkier design to hang on your window? Actually, later they started with the little antenna wire thingy. Great improvement to drive-in technology and then they all close down.

Which one(s) in CA are you talking about, Hawk? Maybe we've been there.

There were Drive-ins in Monterey, Marina, Salinas......close to where i lived.

I bored out/built up the 409 engine in my chevy. It was soo tight we sometimes had to push it over the humps to start, or jump it.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:

There were Drive-ins in Monterey, Marina, Salinas......close to where i lived.

I bored out/built up the 409 engine in my chevy. It was soo tight we sometimes had to push it over the humps to start, or jump it.

Oh, okay. We're in So Cal, so...

I used to have a Baja bug that was very touch-and-go on whether it wanted to start or not. Sometimes I'd actually have to push it myself and then jump in and pop the clutch! Never mind it popping out of gear while on the freeway! What a deathtrap.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:49 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,897,652 times
Quote:

I used to have a Baja bug that was very touch-and-go on whether it wanted to start or not. Sometimes I'd actually have to push it myself and then jump in and pop the clutch! Never mind it popping out of gear while on the freeway! What a deathtrap.
My first husband had a Baja bug. In fact many of his friends had Baja bugs. We were in a Baja bug that turned over in the street - a bearing in one of the wheels locked up. The windows popped out. I had to go to the hospital because I had a concussion and hit my head - there was no headliner in that thing.

I remember the shifting cables or whatever they were called were always failing in those cars. So many things went wrong with those engines, plus there were always engine fires. I'm sure the mechanics at the time were RICH (I knew they were busy).

Those were the days. Baja bugs are good for the beach. But not for everyday commuting.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
My first husband had a Baja bug. In fact many of his friends had Baja bugs. We were in a Baja bug that turned over in the street - a bearing in one of the wheels locked up. The windows popped out. I had to go to the hospital because I had a concussion and hit my head - there was no headliner in that thing.

I remember the shifting cables or whatever they were called were always failing in those cars. So many things went wrong with those engines, plus there were always engine fires. I'm sure the mechanics at the time were RICH (I knew they were busy).

Those were the days. Baja bugs are good for the beach. But not for everyday commuting.
Wow. Yeah, I had a lot of problems with it, but I loved it. I just remembered, too, that if it was raining, I was probably out of luck again. No starty.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:06 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,628,441 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there both street-legal and non-legal versions of the Baja Bug? Were you folks driving legal ones?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Cool, a friend of mine had one with the VW (volkswagen engine & transaxle)

We had loads of Funs riding the dunes & Marina beach, out in the boonies of Fort Ord, & Laguna Seca.

The Good ol days

Many folks wood Hangglide off the dunes at Marina Beach too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships