Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:25 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times

Advertisements

Question?

Is someone's out-or-control pet a turnoff? For me, it always was a little bit of a turn off. Not a deal breaker, more of a yellow flag. Just the thought of if the person can't even control a dog, how do they have control over their lives, or even do they? What kind of personality is that? Someone that get's walked all over? Someone afraid of confrontation? Someone with no order?

I have a brown lab (duck hunter), and the joke is, if I enter the room, he snaps to attention. I mean attention like the General just entered the barracks! He just keeps an eye on me waiting for any potential command. I don't even keep him on a leash. I take him in the truck everywhere. I get out and he's right by my side. If I stop, he sits. There are times I've just completely forgot about him, then I look down and there he is.

I would think this might be more of an issue for the women. Don't you like to see your guy being the alpha of his OWN pack? Don't you expect it? Admit it, seeing a man's man being dragged down the road by his out-of-control weiner dog isn't exactly manly is it? However, seeing a guy command his German Shephard to go lay down and the dog immediately follows through, is a bit of a turn on.

Ever watch that show where people have "intervention" for their pets? I mean someone actually comes in and tries to train and discipline these people's wacko pets. I can't say I've actually ever been attracted to any of these people, mentally wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 08:30 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Frankly, I would have more of an issue with a man whose dog "snaps to attention" any time he enters a room than with a guy whose dog sometimes forgets who the "pack leader" is.

Which is not to say that people shouldn't train their dogs. However, IMO, there's a vast difference between training a dog to be a "good canine citizen" and having another creature living and breathing to please their master. The latter gives me the willies, actually.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:33 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
I have a bunch of parrots and there aint no controlling them! They scream when they want to scream - even if I tell them "Shhhhh - the baby's sleeping!" Maybe that doesn't work on them because they know there's no baby!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:34 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Little dogs are not as bad as big dogs. I certainly don't like a big dog jumping on me and scratching me or almost knocking me over. I wouldn't say an unruly pet makes a guy unattractive.

I'm an animal lover though, and I worked as a trainer for years when I was younger, so I can whip most dogs into shape pretty quickly if it's a problem. That goes for men, too!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:35 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Love me, love my dogs. BTW, they are not spoiled nor, do they have behavior problems. Just do what they want and they are good. LOL LOL LOL

Old 08-04-2009, 08:35 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Frankly, I would have more of an issue with a man whose dog "snaps to attention" any time he enters a room than with a guy whose dog sometimes forgets who the "pack leader" is.

Which is not to say that people shouldn't train their dogs. However, IMO, there's a vast difference between training a dog to be a "good canine citizen" and having another creature living and breathing to please their master. The latter gives me the willies, actually.
Yeah, I have to say that bothers me, too.

Oh, and I don't care how attentive your dog is, ALWAYS leash!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:37 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Question?

Is someone's out-or-control pet a turnoff? For me, it always was a little bit of a turn off.
It is for me if they indulge the pet over consideration of a guest.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:48 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
I love animals, don't trust anyone who doesn't. I wouldn't say it's a complete turn-off. But I would be put off by someone who didn't have control over their dog long term. I'm not really digging on a dog running the household.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:11 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
I don't like poorly behaved animals at anyone's home...freaks me out. I have several dogs and a cat but, believe it or not, they are better behaved than my darn kids...

Old 08-04-2009, 09:14 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I have several dogs and a cat but, believe it or not, they are better behaved than my darn kids...
That's not surprising. Animals get that "pack leader" thing a lot quicker than kids do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships