Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:22 AM

12,970 posts, read 13,702,665 times

Advertisements

It is unfortunate that people would assume that I am trying to insult their intellect by using words they don't understand. Words that are called big are actually succinct and are more efficient and economical to use. Sometimes I find my self going ...uh....um... err.. just to find a word that is not considered big
Some how by using vernacular language and being folksy a person can still be said to have "Folk Wisdom" without being referred to as a hick. But if a person is defined as an intellectual people assume there is something lacking in their ability to relate to people on a personal level . Seems like a double standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 10:01 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,333,573 times
are you anti-intellectual?

What dat mean??

Old 08-27-2009, 10:36 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,690,242 times
What's with the fixation on "big words"? Using "big words" does not make one an intellectual. Conversely, objecting to out-of-place, gratuitous, or simply incorrect spouting of "big words" is not automatically a sign of anti-intellectualism. An anti-intellectual is someone who is opposed to and suspicious of intellectual pursuits -- such as science, art, literature or generally, education -- and hostile towards people who engage in such pursuits. Let's define the terms first, then discuss the issues.

That said, I think the American society is one of contrasts. There is a portion of the American society that is very highly intellectual (after all, most of the world's top universities are in the United States). However, there is also a very large and very vocal swath of our society that is rabidly anti-intellectual, to the point where it would fit right in with the Taliban. You know whom I mean -- folks who define the undereducated as "real Americans".

(Don't see what this has to do with relationships, though.)

Old 08-27-2009, 10:52 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,333,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
What's with the fixation on "big words"? Using "big words" does not make one an intellectual. Conversely, objecting to out-of-place, gratuitous, or simply incorrect spouting of "big words" is not automatically a sign of anti-intellectualism. An anti-intellectual is someone who is opposed to and suspicious of intellectual pursuits -- such as science, art, literature or generally, education -- and hostile towards people who engage in such pursuits. Let's define the terms first, then discuss the issues.

That said, I think the American society is one of contrasts. There is a portion of the American society that is very highly intellectual (after all, most of the world's top universities are in the United States). However, there is also a very large and very vocal swath of our society that is rabidly anti-intellectual, to the point where it would fit right in with the Taliban. You know whom I mean -- folks who define the undereducated as "real Americans".

(Don't see what this has to do with relationships, though.)

Agreed. The dialogue of scholar in this internet based forum thread are proposterous and nonsensical. We should be having this discussion in a more contentious forum! My brain is tired!

Old 08-27-2009, 11:04 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,846,687 times
Our daughter, the professor, is living with us while she finishes her PhD.
I have an MA.
My wife has two BAs and an MA.

My daughter often gets on some intellectual diatribe and goes on and on.
My wife, who after 35 years of teaching second grade, now thinks at the level of a seven year old and just stares with a blank look and nods.

I tune it all out the best I can until it gets too irritating, then I yell "Hey, I'm trying to watch TV here!"

I'm sure glad I dropped all that acid and smoked all that weed in college or I might still be smoking a pipe and discussing the Human Condition as seen through the eyes of a bunch of dead foreigners.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:04 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,746,068 times
Top universities has little to do with being an intellectual. Many are intelligent; few are intellectual. In many cases, money alone sends many people to top universities. (George W, for one)

Old 08-27-2009, 11:17 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,690,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Top universities has little to do with being an intellectual. Many are intelligent; few are intellectual. In many cases, money alone sends many people to top universities. (George W, for one)
The quality of a university isn't determined by its undergraduates. Top universities are defined by the quality of their advanced scholastic pursuits -- i.e. research programs in sciences and the humanities, and creative programs in the arts. Where such institutions proliferate, this is an an indication that this society is more enthusiastic about intellectual pursuits than societies where institutions of higher learning are inferior despite their comparable wealth. The fact that some undergraduates are able to buy their way into a great university does not change the fact that these universities are major centers of intellectualism. In fact, it is these very "legacies" that enable universities to fund their research and creative arts programs and to attract the best minds to teach there. I am not saying that everyone who's ever been to Harvard is automatically an intellectual, but to declare that universities have little to do with intellectualism is patently absurd.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:18 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,459,247 times
I'm very much pro-intellectual. Not a big fan of the type of people who brag of not reading a book since high school. I don't like pretentious people, but if you're not curious about the world around you and don't value learning, I don't have much use for you.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:01 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,458,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm very much pro-intellectual. Not a big fan of the type of people who brag of not reading a book since high school. I don't like pretentious people, but if you're not curious about the world around you and don't value learning, I don't have much use for you.
I definitely agree with you there.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:04 PM

37,661 posts, read 46,099,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Why is US society anti-intellectual? Is it due to fear? Is there any rational reason for this?

At work, I find people feel uncomfortable when one of my co-workers speaks in meetings. She is bright, and quite articulate. Are they thinking "errr....OK..I didn't understand a word she said"?

I also think it's envy also, since she works well, and stands out for promotion. I think her smarts contribute to this.
Quite the opposite. I adore intellectuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships