Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 03:47 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
The problem is that abuse almost always starts small and escalates over time. It typically begins with excessively severe criticism. Okay, so your husband is kind of a sourpuss, but you wouldn't (gasp!) divorce him just because he carps on you for 3 days when you after you oversalt the salad or forget to send in the credit card payment on time, would you? Next comes the jealousy. So your husband is a jealous type, but is him flipping out a bit when you don't arrive on your usual 6:30 train enough of a reason to break up your marriage? Especially if you've got kids? Then the name-calling. Okay, that's bad. But enough for a divorce? Most folks would probably say you should help your husband get over his problem. Mostly by not being such a b/tch. Next we have the pushing. Okay, that's violence and it's serious. But hey, it's only a little bit worse than name-calling, and no actual damage is inflicted, right? You've been married 10 years now, this is your mate and partner. Do you really want to be like all those other fickle women who dump their men for shinier models? You are better than that, aren't you? Then, finally, you get the first punch. And at that point, all of a sudden, it's "partially" your fault you got punched because you remained with this controlling man for so long. Right?

This is the problem I have with saying that women who are married to controlling men are to blame for being "controlled".
All of what you say is true. It's like the cliché about boiling the frog. But my point is that the woman in this situation has a duty to recognize these early on in the relationship and to not tolerate it when it arises in the early stages.

What's the solution? I think helping women understand what is off-limits in a healthy relationship would be an absolute start. But my point remains the same. If a woman understands that she is in an abusive or exploitive relationship, she has to walk away from it herself, get help, or whatever else.

I did consulting work for a woman's shelter. And the counselor said over and over again, "The first time he does it, it's his fault. The second time he does it, it's your fault. Walk out of there and don't go back."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 04:15 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
The problem is that abuse almost always starts small and escalates over time. It typically begins with excessively severe criticism. Okay, so your husband is kind of a sourpuss, but you wouldn't (gasp!) divorce him just because he carps on you for a day or two after you oversalt the salad or forget to send in the credit card payment on time, would you? Next comes the jealousy. So your husband is a jealous type, but is him flipping out a bit when you don't arrive on your usual 6:30 train enough of a reason to break up your marriage? Especially if you've got kids? Then the name-calling. Okay, that's bad. But enough for a divorce? Most folks would probably say you should help your husband get over his problem. Mostly by not being such a b/tch. Next we have the pushing. Okay, that's violence and it's serious. But hey, it's only a little bit worse than name-calling, and no actual damage is inflicted, right? You've been married 10 years now, this is your mate and partner. Do you really want to be like all those other fickle women who dump their men for shinier models? You are better than that, aren't you? Then, finally, you get the first punch. And at that point, all of a sudden, it's "partially" your fault you got punched because you remained with this controlling man for so long. Right?

This is the problem I have with saying that women who are married to controlling men are to blame for being "controlled".
Thanks, Red, for being spot on as usual.

I also know a lack of public awareness and education also contributes to the alienation. I can't tell you how many women I have come across who felt they had nowhere to turn when their families and friends either minimized the abuse or blamed it on them.

It's even worse when it turns into stalking; they're then paranoid and/or egomaniacs. After all, what makes them so special that someone would stalk them? Or if you he/she sees you have moved on, they'll leave you alone. I could go on and on.

People tend to project rational thinking onto an irrational situation. It is just not that simple or everyone would be out of their abusive situations.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:24 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
A dominant person isn't always domineering. Dominant behavior can indicate leadership, or decision making. If a mate is too timid, someone has to be more dominant, or they could find themselves sitting around all day staring a hole in the wall. Domineering mates would generally try force the issue, even if the mate balked. Bossy mates can boss, but no one has to budge if they don't want to. Who wants to live with a human bulldozer ?

Old 09-03-2009, 06:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
First of all, you need to understand a "dominant" man is not necessarily the same thing as a "domineering" or controlling man. Dominant, alpha males are self confident, more leader than follower, and self assured. In short, they can make great mates

Domineering men look for woman they know they can control because that's how they can overcome their feelings of inadequacy. They really have no self esteem and usually look for woman with none either.

I'm not sure the word "fault" should be used though when talking about women who get involved with controlling men. Some of them are just gravitating toward what they know and what feels comfortable if they were raised by controlling fathers themselves. It can be a really hard cycle to break.
True, there is a difference. A strong dominant person is attractive but doesn't have to be pushy or aggressive. It's something about their charisma and inner strength.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Beats me. I've seen some marriages so awful that my wife and I wonder why she sticks around. I mean, don't you think life's way too short to be stuck in a marriage where you're not respected?

Personally I would think, at the very least, physical abuse, followed by mental abuse, should be reasons to immediately pack the car and drive away, never to look back.

My daughter is fourteen. And I've already had talks with her about what kinds of boys are out there. I've advised her that if a boy doesn't make her feel good about herself, then she should walk away. I've advised her that if a boy doesn't respect her wishes, then she should walk away. I've advised her that no boy should tell her how to think, dress, or behave. I've advised her that she has extraordinary value in this world, and she should be liked for who she is, not what some neanderthal thinks he can shape her into.

Also, I told her that if some boy, when picking her up, honks for her in the driveway, he can sit there all night. He's picking up my daughter. Not a pizza.

You hit on a key point. A lot has to do with a girl's father, the father is the man who teaches her how she should be treated, what she should expect for herself. The father is the first man in her life and sets the tone for her following relationships.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:58 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
True, there is a difference. A strong dominant person is attractive but doesn't have to be pushy or aggressive. It's something about their charisma and inner strength.
Exactly! That's all I was trying to say too

Old 09-03-2009, 11:36 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You hit on a key point. A lot has to do with a girl's father, the father is the man who teaches her how she should be treated, what she should expect for herself. The father is the first man in her life and sets the tone for her following relationships.
If you grow up in an environment and this is the only way you see relationships it is all you have to go by and will more than likely gravitate to a relationship just like it. Growing up in a situation like that often means a person thinks this is what all relationships are like and that's how they see 'normal'. Same goes for men developing certain abusive personalities because their father's were.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:27 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,549 times
Quote:
The problem is that abuse almost always starts small and escalates over time. It typically begins with excessively severe criticism. Okay, so your husband is kind of a sourpuss, but you wouldn't (gasp!) divorce him just because he carps on you for a day or two after you oversalt the salad or forget to send in the credit card payment on time, would you? Next comes the jealousy. So your husband is a jealous type, but is him flipping out a bit when you don't arrive on your usual 6:30 train enough of a reason to break up your marriage? Especially if you've got kids? Then the name-calling. Okay, that's bad. But enough for a divorce? Most folks would probably say you should help your husband get over his problem. Mostly by not being such a b/tch. Next we have the pushing. Okay, that's violence and it's serious. But hey, it's only a little bit worse than name-calling, and no actual damage is inflicted, right? You've been married 10 years now, this is your mate and partner. Do you really want to be like all those other fickle women who dump their men for shinier models? You are better than that, aren't you? Then, finally, you get the first punch. And at that point, all of a sudden, it's "partially" your fault you got punched because you remained with this controlling man for so long. Right?

I tried to rep you! That was spot on!!!

Old 09-04-2009, 01:13 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times
Well women are not really at fault. The thing is women are scared of their men who is controlling. They believe there is no way out. Also, they believe that if she tries to get away her husband will follow her and abuse her. Women need to step up and stand up for themselves, because if not this routine will continue to happen. Also there are help out there that they can seek. There is a hotline for abused women. Also there are many women's group that are only to help those abused women out of the abused relationships.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:18 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Yeh..its like telling a depressed person to stop being sad.

Stockholm syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships