Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 09:03 PM

37,823 posts, read 46,374,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
No, I actually I'm basing my statements on their statements. When someone says "I only date people of Culture X because they speak language A, follow religion B, etc.", then it's they who are making generalizations. I'm simply pointing it out.
Okay, so what about my Egyptian guy? I made a conscious decision to stop dating him, based mostly on the fact that he was a practicing muslim (which I didn't know when I first met him). What does that make me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 11:47 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,308,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh good grief. Well of course it is an open forum, and people are free to express their opinions. It's a fact that we all like different people, different feature, different personalities, different backgrounds, and different colors. To insinuate that THAT is wrong, is to be incredibly self-absorbed and oblivious to reality.

And THAT is MY opinion.

I assure you, I am just fine with public forums, dear.
So you are fine with public forums as long as no one challenges the assumptions underlying your opinions .... ok ... ya that makes no sense whatsoever. And I did not insinuate that having opinions is wrong. I would never say that. But I think its a little contradictory to publicly post your opinions and then call people "self-absorbed" and "oblivious to reality" when they challenge them. If you have no problem with public forums it seems you are doing a good job of hiding it. So I think you may need to do a better job of assuring yourself before you start on me dearest .

I have some advice for you Chessie, the next time you want to express your opinions without having to communicate with people who might disagree with you, write it down on a napkin, put it in your pocket, and give yourself a good pat on the back. That way you never run the risk of being challenged at all. Nice and safe .

Old 09-11-2009, 12:25 AM

18,257 posts, read 14,500,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
No, I actually I'm basing my statements on their statements. When someone says "I only date people of Culture X because they speak language A, follow religion B, etc.", then it's they who are making generalizations. I'm simply pointing it out.
First you said I was discriminating because of race, now you say I'm making generaliztions about culture.

Okay here it goes again, I prefer dating within my culture , regardless of the race, but as long as he holds the same values and background and interests. The culture experience.

And here's the rest of what I said: Even though they may be the same ethnic or racial group as me, doesnt mean they will have the same interests, so I wont date them. So there goes your theory about generalizations.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:51 AM

239 posts, read 598,955 times
Sure. I'm not attracted to certain ethnicities, and I know many people who aren't attracted to mine (black).

Old 09-11-2009, 07:01 AM

37,823 posts, read 46,374,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
So you are fine with public forums as long as no one challenges the assumptions underlying your opinions .... ok ... ya that makes no sense whatsoever. And I did not insinuate that having opinions is wrong. I would never say that. But I think its a little contradictory to publicly post your opinions and then call people "self-absorbed" and "oblivious to reality" when they challenge them. If you have no problem with public forums it seems you are doing a good job of hiding it. So I think you may need to do a better job of assuring yourself before you start on me dearest .

I have some advice for you Chessie, the next time you want to express your opinions without having to communicate with people who might disagree with you, write it down on a napkin, put it in your pocket, and give yourself a good pat on the back. That way you never run the risk of being challenged at all. Nice and safe .
You need to brush up your interpretive skills. Many people here enjoy twisting words and reading exactly what they want to from a post. You apparently are one of them. Good luck with that. Your "advice" is a silly attempt at being patronizing, which again, is often used by many posters here. It doesn't bother me a bit, but you have fun with it, okay?

Old 09-11-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
You need to brush up your interpretive skills. Many people here enjoy twisting words and reading exactly what they want to from a post. You apparently are one of them. Good luck with that. Your "advice" is a silly attempt at being patronizing, which again, is often used by many posters here. It doesn't bother me a bit, but you have fun with it, okay?
And calling someone "dear" is not patronizing? Maybe you meant that as a form of endearment . If that's the case, I have to tell you now, you're not my type sorry .

And my interpretive skills are just fine thank you. Next time I will make sure to only affirm every opinion you ever have. You think discriminating against someone based on their ethnicity is just another legitimate dating preference? Bravo Chessie, well said! Kudos to you for stating your opinion! Here's a cookie!

Old 09-11-2009, 08:05 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,427,753 times
Quote:
You think discriminating against someone based on their ethnicity is just another legitimate dating preference?
wow when was that said? i must have missed it

Old 09-11-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
wow when was that said? i must have missed it
Read through the last 14 pages.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:39 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,427,753 times
Quote:
Read through the last 14 pages.
I've read through the whole thread and I didn't see that. Must be my selective reading skills

Old 09-11-2009, 08:55 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,686,576 times
Quote:
Okay, so what about my Egyptian guy? I made a conscious decision to stop dating him, based mostly on the fact that he was a practicing muslim (which I didn't know when I first met him). What does that make me?
That makes you open-minded. When you first met him, you could've done what a lot of people do and just assume that because he was Egyptian, he must also be Muslim. But you didn't. Instead you waited to find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
First you said I was discriminating because of race, now you say I'm making generaliztions about culture.

Okay here it goes again, I prefer dating within my culture , regardless of the race, but as long as he holds the same values and background and interests. The culture experience.

And here's the rest of what I said: Even though they may be the same ethnic or racial group as me, doesnt mean they will have the same interests, so I wont date them. So there goes your theory about generalizations.
I wasn't referring to you specifically. I'm talking about the people who see someone, categorize them as belonging to a certain culture, and then assume a bunch of things about them. Take the example ChessieMom gave above about the Egyptian guy. A lot of people would meet him, see that he's Egyptian and immediately assume that he's Muslim. That's what I'm referring to when I speak of generalizations. Where I work, there are two black guys. I could easily make assumptions about them based on what I think I know of African-American culture. But I chose not to and discovered that despite belonging to the same culture, they're very different. One is Christian, the other is Muslim. One is a Democrat. The other is a Republican.

Quote:
Your "advice" is a silly attempt at being patronizing, which again, is often used by many posters here.
ChessieMom, I found your use of the word dear patronizing as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships