Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:20 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Germans and Italians dating = Caucasians.
This is why your thread is confusing. Germans and Italians may be of the same race, but they are totally different ethnicities. You talk of ethnicity and you talk of race, which one do you actually mean in this thread?

I can totally see someone of German background rejecting someone who is Italian based on their ethnicity. But take someone who is of German heritage and another of African heritage who both grew up say San Francisco (or any similar town/city) and went to the same schools, played in the same park, ate the same food, go to the same church, etc. an argument can be made (based on YOUR definition of ethnicity) that they are pretty much the same.

So OP, can you make it clearer - do you mean ethnicity or race?

I for one have never rejected someone based on their race. You will have to get to know a person before really knowing their ethnicity because you cant look at them or see what they order in a restaurant to determine their ethnicity. Ive never rejected anyone because of their ethnicity either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 09:38 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
I've really not rejected the advances of that many men in my lifetime. But part of that reason is because when I've been single, I don't broadcast my need for a boyfriend. And I don't dress in a flirtatious manner either. When I meet a man, I approach him in a very non-sexual way. I offer a platonic friendship, nothing more.

So of the few men that have tried to date me, and I turned them down, it had to do with the total package of who they were. It wasn't just based on their looks (which I suppose would include their ethnicity). I am more conscious of a person differing culture, in terms of etiquette, attitudes towards women, their intelligence factor and their sense of humour. I am not interested in dating a man from a macho culture who starts off by flirting with me in a sexual way. If he doesn't appeal to my brain and our brains don't click, then it's a definite no-go.

The last man I turned down was from a Mediterranean culture, he was a cook at a restaurant I worked at. He liked the way I looked and my hard working attitude there. But other than us being co-workers, we had nothing else in common. Then there was the little detail of my boyfriend that I live with. But that didn't seem to bother him. I suppose, as long as I wasn't married, there was always a chance. lol

Old 09-08-2009, 10:41 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,297 times
Texas User,

I'm not sure whether to laugh at your posts or be offended by them. First, you confuse race and ethnicity. You keep equating the two, but, as was pointed earlier, race only refers to one's physical characteristics whereas ethnicity refers to cultural practices. Two people may be black, but do you assume they share the same culture? One could be Christian and the other could be Muslim. If you think two people of the same race automatically share the same culture (same beliefs, eat the same food, speak the same language), then that makes you prejudiced.

Second, you assert that most people prefer to be in a relationship with their own kind. So what does the person of mixed-race supposed to do? What about the black person who, beyond his skin color, can't really relate to other blacks?

As for the idea that two people who eat the same food, speak the same language, etc. can form a meaningful bond over such similarities, that's just laughable. If I go to a foreign country, I'm not going to bond with someone just because they eat the same food and speak the same language is me. People look for similarities, but they look for meaningful ones liked shared values and shared interests.

It's one thing to reject someone because you don't find them physically attractive. But a lot of people reject a certain race because they have preconceived notions about people of their race. They also worry about family acceptance and having kids who are mixed.

I've been in interracial relationships and it was never an issue. Some people, usually older folks, would stare or give dirty looks. But other than that, I never had any issues. If any cultural differences arose, it would be about things like religion, not trivial things like what food to eat or what clothes we wore.

I strongly encourage you to read up on the difference between race and ethnicity. I also suggest you reread your earlier posts. Whether you realize it or not, many come across as pretty ignorant and offensive.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Most people to be in a relationship with someone with their own kind.

For example: Asians with Asians, Caucasian with Caucasians, etc.

Is there anyone here that have been in a interracial relationship and how did that turn out?

i'm Laotion and i loooooooooove white boys.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:21 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,452,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Texas User,

I'm not sure whether to laugh at your posts or be offended by them. First, you confuse race and ethnicity. You keep equating the two, but, as was pointed earlier, race only refers to one's physical characteristics whereas ethnicity refers to cultural practices. Two people may be black, but do you assume they share the same culture? One could be Christian and the other could be Muslim. If you think two people of the same race automatically share the same culture (same beliefs, eat the same food, speak the same language), then that makes you prejudiced.

Second, you assert that most people prefer to be in a relationship with their own kind. So what does the person of mixed-race supposed to do? What about the black person who, beyond his skin color, can't really relate to other blacks?

As for the idea that two people who eat the same food, speak the same language, etc. can form a meaningful bond over such similarities, that's just laughable. If I go to a foreign country, I'm not going to bond with someone just because they eat the same food and speak the same language is me. People look for similarities, but they look for meaningful ones liked shared values and shared interests.

It's one thing to reject someone because you don't find them physically attractive. But a lot of people reject a certain race because they have preconceived notions about people of their race. They also worry about family acceptance and having kids who are mixed.

I've been in interracial relationships and it was never an issue. Some people, usually older folks, would stare or give dirty looks. But other than that, I never had any issues. If any cultural differences arose, it would be about things like religion, not trivial things like what food to eat or what clothes we wore.

I strongly encourage you to read up on the difference between race and ethnicity. I also suggest you reread your earlier posts. Whether you realize it or not, many come across as pretty ignorant and offensive.
Really... excellent post!

And what is it about Texas (and the south in general), that they seem so obsessed re: the whole race/ethnicity thang....?!!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:33 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
I used to say I was open to dating a good man of any race but when put to test that was a lie. I could sit here and lie and name a gazillion reasons to jusitify it but I'm just attracted to black men (and light colored penises creep me out )

Old 09-08-2009, 12:36 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
i'm Laotion and i loooooooooove white boys.
I'm a white boy and i LOVE LAOTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, I have a crush on 1 anyway!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:37 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I used to say I was open to dating a good man of any race but when put to test that was a lie. I could sit here and lie and name a gazillion reasons to jusitify it but I'm just attracted to black men (and light colored penises creep me out )
LOL. I love your honesty. What is that "light colored penis" was 10" and attached to Rick Fox? Im sure you'll feel differently.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:41 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
Dated mostly Asian and Latin women all my life...married a couple too.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:54 PM

748 posts, read 1,313,911 times
I really love asian boys... and I am hispanic (if you read my profile you'll find I am a melting pot of both ethnicities and races)

To answer the OP, I did... mainly because of the cultural differences...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships