Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 05:18 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times

Advertisements

I have been on CD for couple of years now, but I only started participating in Relationship forum recently. I see so many threads discussing unsuccessful marriages, bad relationships, hurtful situations and etc...

I would love to start a thread where people can share some success stories. Describe how long they have been married, what they love about their partner, how did their relationship improved over time, perhaps share some stories of overcoming difficult times.

I think we can all use some positivity here, perhaps inspire some people to search for that someone.

Also - I'm sure, definition of successful marriages vary. What is your understanding of successful marriage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 05:29 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,251 times
Quote:
What is your understanding of successful marriage?
Open communication.......Independence.........Acceptanc e

Old 09-13-2009, 05:45 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
Open communication.......Independence.........Acceptanc e
You are right, all those things are so important.

I see a lot of unhappy marriages or better to say: unfulfilling. You are comfortable with each other, but you don't feel the sense of happieness. Just going through motions of life. I think it happens after many years of being married. I guess I want to say that I'm terrified to end up feeling like this one day. Yeah, all things are great now and although we do bicker and fight, we still have the heat for each other. I don't want to feel empty and just comfortable, I want to feel happy.
That's why I started this thread. What is success in marriage?

Old 09-13-2009, 05:46 PM

255 posts, read 694,931 times
Loyalty.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:55 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
A successful marriage is different for different people.

My definition of a successful marriage is one where your spouse puts your needs above their own, loves you even when you're a jerk, respects you and your work, accepts you flaws and all, tells you the truth even when it's ugly, allows you to be yourself, takes care of you when you can't take care of yourself, is willing to work through issues/tough times, holds you when you cry, comforts you when you're sad, laughs with you not at you, doesn't beat you or cheat on you, is nice to your family, and is a good friend/lover/companion.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Committment. A determination from both to make it work, that they will stick it out through thick and thin. And trust. So that even after a heated argument, the other will not run out and have a quickie affair, that certain limits will never be crossed. Partnership. They work together for the benefit of both whether it's shared duties or separate duties, changing to fit the needs of their partnership.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:48 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
To echo what the posters above me said. To me a successful marriage requires A LOT OF PATIENCE. Most people have zero tolerance (myself included) for someone else's nonsense. No one wants to deal with someone they'll find intolerable or irritable, period. If you can love your spouse even when they're not being lovable back, you have a keeper. This doesn't mean being a doormat but knowing and respecting the boundaries of your partner. Not many of us can honestly say we're good to our man/woman even when they're acting a plum fool and saying all kinds of hurtful things to us. I'm very capable of being a good man to the RIGHT woman and she reciprocates that.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:51 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
A successful marriage is different for different people.

My definition of a successful marriage is one where your spouse puts your needs above their own, loves you even when you're a jerk, respects you and your work, accepts you flaws and all, tells you the truth even when it's ugly, allows you to be yourself, takes care of you when you can't take care of yourself, is willing to work through issues/tough times, holds you when you cry, comforts you when you're sad, laughs with you not at you, doesn't beat you or cheat on you, is nice to your family, and is a good friend/lover/companion.
Bravo. That is exactly how I think of my marriage. Here is what I will add:

My Dh and I have been together for almost 12 years and have known each other for more than 33 years. He is my best friend. He is the only person I trust 100%. We live and work together 24/7 so I figure we've been together an equivalent to 30 years in most marriages. I wouldn't want to spend my time with anyone else. We never fight because we see things the same way. We respect each other and talk about everything and make all of our decisions together. One of the biggest things is to always be nice to one another. We never take each other for granted because we know what we have is special and we would be stupid to ruin it. We are very lucky because we don't have to work at "our" relationship. Just treat each other the way you want to be treated and you will get the same in return. If you don't like something then don't do it to your partner.

Life is great when you can share it with your perfect partner and best friend.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:56 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Awe.......why spoil it for all of these unhappy people in marriages and relationships???

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I have been on CD for couple of years now, but I only started participating in Relationship forum recently. I see so many threads discussing unsuccessful marriages, bad relationships, hurtful situations and etc...

I would love to start a thread where people can share some success stories. Describe how long they have been married, what they love about their partner, how did their relationship improved over time, perhaps share some stories of overcoming difficult times.

I think we can all use some positivity here, perhaps inspire some people to search for that someone.

Also - I'm sure, definition of successful marriages vary. What is your understanding of successful marriage?

Old 09-13-2009, 06:58 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Bravo. That is exactly how I think of my marriage. Here is what I will add:

My Dh and I have been together for almost 12 years and have known each other for more than 33 years. He is my best friend. He is the only person I trust 100%. We live and work together 24/7 so I figure we've been together an equivalent to 30 years in most marriages. I wouldn't want to spend my time with anyone else. We never fight because we see things the same way. We respect each other and talk about everything and make all of our decisions together. One of the biggest things is to always be nice to one another. We never take each other for granted because we know what we have is special and we would be stupid to ruin it. We are very lucky because we don't have to work at "our" relationship. Just treat each other the way you want to be treated and you will get the same in return. If you don't like something then don't do it to your partner.

Life is great when you can share it with your perfect partner and best friend.
This is the kind of relationship I want. You two are very very lucky to have a smooth sailing relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships