Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:55 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times

Advertisements

Together 10 yrs, married 7.

-He buys me nice things
-I put out

You guys mean to tell me there's more to a successful marriage!?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 10:59 AM

890 posts, read 2,785,764 times
I think everyone will come to a point in time where they will question, not just their marriage, but what they want to do with the rest of their lives. The answer to these impacts the marriage (for those who are married at the time).

Despite the rising rate of divorce, there are still couples who choose to remain in the marriage and work at it. Successful marriages are not rare.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:14 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I observed that when that happens both partners just seem to have very mellow personalities Glad you are so happy in your marrige!
You know, the funny thing is we're both actually quite high-strung and neurotic. I think it works because we're both that way--so we can go on and on obsessing over nothing and neither one of us gets annoyed.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
You know, the funny thing is we're both actually quite high-strung and neurotic. I think it works because we're both that way--so we can go on and on obsessing over nothing and neither one of us gets annoyed.
hahahahaha - I can just picture it! Glad it works for you two

Old 09-17-2009, 06:22 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,973 times
Wink Happy Wife / Hppy Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I have been on CD for couple of years now, but I only started participating in Relationship forum recently. I see so many threads discussing unsuccessful marriages, bad relationships, hurtful situations and etc...

I would love to start a thread where people can share some success stories. Describe how long they have been married, what they love about their partner, how did their relationship improved over time, perhaps share some stories of overcoming difficult times.

I think we can all use some positivity here, perhaps inspire some people to search for that someone.

Also - I'm sure, definition of successful marriages vary. What is your understanding of successful marriage?
Happy Wife / Happy Life!

Old 09-17-2009, 06:29 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Bravo. That is exactly how I think of my marriage. Here is what I will add:

My Dh and I have been together for almost 12 years and have known each other for more than 33 years. He is my best friend. He is the only person I trust 100%. We live and work together 24/7 so I figure we've been together an equivalent to 30 years in most marriages. I wouldn't want to spend my time with anyone else. We never fight because we see things the same way. We respect each other and talk about everything and make all of our decisions together. One of the biggest things is to always be nice to one another. We never take each other for granted because we know what we have is special and we would be stupid to ruin it. We are very lucky because we don't have to work at "our" relationship. Just treat each other the way you want to be treated and you will get the same in return. If you don't like something then don't do it to your partner.

Life is great when you can share it with your perfect partner and best friend.
Wow, I think we have the same marriage, also been married 13 years! I second everything this poster has to say and then I will add, I like my husband and he likes me too. Before we started dating we were best friends and now that we are married, he is still my best friend. We never put each other down, we are always the other's advocate.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:24 PM

43 posts, read 119,736 times
We have been together close to 30 years and even though it has had it rough spot's, we are true buddie's even though we have a 16 yr spread; me being the youngin.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:47 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
hahahahaha - I can just picture it! Glad it works for you two
Ever seen the TV show Curb Your Enthusiasm? Whenever we watch it I always spend half the time laughing and pointing at my husband, because he seriously reminds me of Larry David at times.

...but I love that about him. I love that sees the little details that others overlook. I don't mind if he goes on about things to me--because I do the same to him. I've found in my life that there's very few men that are as detail-oriented as he is. I know that for some women being with someone like my husband might be a little overwhelming, but I just love him and his unique neurotic self.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 09-17-2009 at 08:39 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 08:23 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
38 years this month. Respect each other. He kisses me for no reason, just passing me in a room. Don't expect the lusty heady kind of love where your world shakes to last. Instead welcome the more comfortable, time-worn kind of love where you trust each other with everything and anything and you wait for each other to come home from work or play so you can have interesting conversations.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:47 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Bravo. That is exactly how I think of my marriage. Here is what I will add:

My Dh and I have been together for almost 12 years and have known each other for more than 33 years. He is my best friend. He is the only person I trust 100%. We live and work together 24/7 so I figure we've been together an equivalent to 30 years in most marriages. I wouldn't want to spend my time with anyone else. We never fight because we see things the same way. We respect each other and talk about everything and make all of our decisions together. One of the biggest things is to always be nice to one another. We never take each other for granted because we know what we have is special and we would be stupid to ruin it. We are very lucky because we don't have to work at "our" relationship. Just treat each other the way you want to be treated and you will get the same in return. If you don't like something then don't do it to your partner.

Life is great when you can share it with your perfect partner and best friend.
This pretty much exactly how my relationship with my Fiance is ( we've been together for 21 years and getting married in 2 weeks) except that we do have arguments though never about big things, really more like bickering about small irritations !

I not only Love him but above all I respect him and knows this is fully reciprocated. We do not agree on every little thing but our tastes are so similar that I have never felt so in tune with someone. Our goals and ideals are the same and to me that is hugely important. We love spending time with each other, can talk about everything and share absolutely everything ( including an email address and even a cell phone ).

I trust him 100%. I cannot even imagine life without him, it does not even bear thinking about. We are good enough together that we can also sit in companionable silence which I like.

He is the only person I want to grow old with. We embarked on an adventure together 21 years ago and I have never, not once been bored with him. Ever.

I see our relationship as a journey of discovery and I relish whatever life can throw at us because I know together we can face it. We have been through some extremely difficult times because of my health but our love has never wavered and all the hardship has simply consolidated and strengthened our relationship.

I have found someone I can always be myself and I will never take him for granted. He is a good man, a good companion, my best friend in the world and the sexiest man alive to me. Funny, kind, interesting, loving and loyal and I am lucky enough that he loves me too.

I have never looked at another man "sexually" since we have been together because I have everything I want right here with him. I do not want anyone else. Why would I ?

In my experience a lot people's relationship flounder because of being based purely on sexual attraction and little else and some misguided romantic notion that everything has to be perfect at all times , all flowers and roses all the time. Most couples I know exist almost as separate entities, with nothing in common, no solid ground of shared ideals and goals.

A husband/Boyfriend should be a lover but also a best friend. Someone you can share everything with, someone you actually love spending time with. And I don't see that with most couples.

Unrealistic expectations are always a danger in any relationships and I also think too many people get married far too early with no real solid base for a lasting relationship.

A relationship is based on a myriad of factors and people seem to ignore that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships