Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 06:21 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
GO talk to a doc... I h ad the same problem and just needed a little anti-depressant.. I am better now.
i don't want to take medication. i think medication is harmful.

i think a change in my lifestyle is in order. i think i need to meet more people, and be more independent and have my independence respected. i think with more associations, it would improve things a lot. it would also make me more normal in mind, attitude and wellbeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 08:35 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,952 times
Alright bro, I'm trying to help ya out here, so I'll take your responses one at a time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
i feel betrayed because i don't feel in control of my life, and never have. i feel people very close to me have undermined me, and i cannot trust them.
If you have never felt in control of your life, that's more of a reason to see a doctor. I don't know what your past situation is, and really, I don't care - it doesn't matter. What matters is today, and what you're going to do to take control of your life..

Quote:
how do i move on? what does moving on mean?
... and how you take control of your life is to let go of the past and move on.

Maybe we just assume that you already know how to do this, but since we're not in your situation, we can't really know what you do know. So, I'll explain the best I can here..

Moving on means that you find a way to let go of the past, that you learn how to reinvent yourself into the person who you want to be. You know who that is. You already told us who that is: It's someone who is confident and in control of their lives. Right? So now you know two things: You know where you are now, and you know where you want to be. Right now, you're depressed, in the future, you want to be confident and in control - and happy.

So, there are several ways to move on - several ways to get to be the person who you most want to be. The first is to talk to a professional. I'll come back to that.. The second is to change your environment. I quoted this in another post, but I'll quote it here again. An old history professor I had said, "If you're born in the slums, you'll die in the slums." Basically, what he was saying is that generally we are products of our environment. If all that we have ever known is disappointment, then typically, that's all we'll ever know. UNLESS, we decide to do something about it.

Right now, you're trying to do something about it. That takes balls right there.. You're asking questions, you're searching for meaning, you're trying to find a way out of this life that's been created for you. That really takes a strong person with a strong motivation. For that, you should be proud.

So, change your environment. Look closely at yourself and find out where you would most want to be, and then find somewhere that's close to that. I know that I'd like to be back in Florida right now, but that can't happen, so I bought a house out in the country and am landscaping it in a way that resembles a beach house type of landscape - even down to the color of the house and furniture inside. Maybe right now you can't go that far, but there are things that you can do. Try moving to a new neighborhood, or re-arranging the furniture in your house.. Buy some plants, or some new paintings.. It can be as simple or as complex as you want.

Change how you look. This can be a bigger deal than you think. When you go out and get a new hairstyle, buy new clothes, and even get a tan, it'll do wonders for your confidence.

Change your friends. Find people that compliment you. If you're the type that likes to read, go to bookstores and start conversations there. You get the point. Once you have good friends and have left the old behind, you'll start to feel much better, if that's the problem.

Point is, there's a thousand ways to get from point A to point B. You just have to examine them all, decide what works for you, and use what you need.

Quote:
and one more thing, is it my fault i was abused? why is the onus on me to resolve something? If i went to a counsellor, is what they would say, and does simply "get over it" denote good counselling techniques now?

i am an individual and i hold my own unique ways of dealing with things. i cannot help that.
It's never anyone's fault that they've been abused. Nobody "invites" that in, but once you've been in that situation, you do have to deal with it, otherwise it'll eat away at you until there's nothing left. I mentioned ways to deal with it above, and if you need more ideas, just ask..

And again, with the counselor, I'll get to that in a second.

Quote:
I know it is my responsibility since nobody owes anybody else anything.

I just don't know how to go about it.

and what is wrong with improving my life? isn't life about improvement and enhancement?
We're trying to help you learn how to cope with things, and to get over them. Yes, it's your responsibility, but more than that, it's your life. Nobody can take control of your life, despite what you think. It's yours to live however you want..

Right now, you're trying to improve things.. that's awesome, I can't say how important that is. It won't be easy, but if you have the drive and determination, you'll do it. You're right, life is all about learning and growing, and you're headed in the right direction.

Quote:
i don't want to take medication. i think medication is harmful.

i think a change in my lifestyle is in order. i think i need to meet more people, and be more independent and have my independence respected. i think with more associations, it would improve things a lot. it would also make me more normal in mind, attitude and wellbeing.
So, now I'll get to the whole doctor/counselor thing. First, we'll talk about medication:

I want you to think about two different scenarios. My ex wife is bi-polar, and has to take medication to live..

She hadn't slept for almost five days. I never knew anything was wrong, as I went to bed before her and she got up before me. First couple nights, everything was fine. She was a little short with me, but I just attributed that to stress. The third night, she got real sick, and couldn't go to bed. I simply told her to take an aspirin and try to get some rest.. The fourth night, she woke me up around 4 am, kneeling by the bed, delirious - she was rambling something about Jesus and how she thought she was mother Mary. I knew something was wrong then.. I stayed up the entire night with her, trying to calm her down, and then shortly before noon I decided to take her to the hospital.

Well, on the way out, while I was putting stuff in the car, she ran away. She hid for almost nine hours. After we found her and got her to the hospital, they told me that if she didn't get rest soon that she could have serious issues later on. I won't go into details there, but you get the point. They finally diagnosed her with the Bi-Polar disorder, and gave her medicine to help control the physical side of things.

She hasn't had a problem since, and that's been almost 6 years ago.

Now, with the Bi-Polar disorder, everything goes in cycles, and each cycle gets progressively worse. Her cycles were at about every 6 to 7 months, which is very mild for people with this disorder. Imagine, knowing the situation that I just told you about, imagine that she never got the medicine and she had another cycle like that one. What would have happened? Personally, I'd rather her take the medication rather than face the alternative.

Medication, as long as it's regulated, is not harmful. It's when people take it without reason and abuse it that it becomes harmful. Think about it, if you get bit by a venomous snake, would you choose to live rather than face the agony of a painful death? If you had back problems, and the only way you could walk was to take pain medication, wouldn't you do that?

Point is, medication is just a tool to help you live a better life, but it's not a substitute for self recovery. Just as with a hammer, it is only a tool.

Again, if you've been having this problem for a long time, I highly advice talking to a professional. Sure, the first couple sessions will be lame, but the more the person gets to know you, the more they will be able to help.

If you find a good counselor/doctor/whatever, they WILL help you change your life. I know, I've been there before. But, again, you have to be willing to make the change in your life.

I think you're ready.. It's up to you do make a difference in things - this is your life, now take control of it.

My friend, I wish you the best. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to try to cover all the concerns that you expressed.

Good luck with things.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:33 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,509 times
Some of the greatest artists, musicians, and thinkers in human history have been depressed, sad individuals. Embrace it!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I feel horny all the time. Does that make me a perv?
um.............lol.......j/k

Old 11-19-2009, 09:52 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
I feel sad and resentful a lot. does it make me a loser?
Welcome to the wonderful world of the human dynamic. We can send people to the Mother f ing moon, yet we can't fix some of the most basic human problems.

Less space programs......

Old 11-19-2009, 10:38 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Everyone has varying thoughts as to what a "loser" is.
However, I think if you feel that way a LOT, then it makes you depressing and not many people would want to be around you.
He's depressing because he's depressed.
'If you do this a lot you will be friendless'.
What can he do with that? Except file it next to looser.
Feeling sad and resentful a lot suggests depression.
Get a diagnosis from a general practice MD.
Not an 'oligist. Listen to him.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:48 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
He's depressing because he's depressed.
'If you do this a lot you will be friendless'.
What can he do with that? Except file it next to looser.
Feeling sad and resentful a lot suggests depression.
Get a diagnosis from a general practice MD.
Not an 'oligist. Listen to him.
He asked if this made him a "loser". If YOU think that means yes, then that is your opinion. I gave mine.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:02 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Some of the greatest artists, musicians, and thinkers in human history have been depressed, sad individuals. Embrace it!
i don't want to.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:09 AM

34 posts, read 116,259 times
change your mind,change your thought..it will change you..pick up a copy of the Power of the Subconscious Mind by Joseph Murphy...it will change your mind

Old 11-20-2009, 04:11 AM

34 posts, read 116,259 times
at the end I meant it will change your life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships