Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:27 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Because now a few years older I don't consider it to be such a big deal?

It's not like I wouldn't disclose the truth within the first couple times of meeting someone. I would just say I didn't want to get screened out over a couple of years and risk the chance of not meeting my soul mate. I think that makes sense.
You won't get "screened out" by anyone if you try meeting people the old-fashioned away. As has been suggested to you and to which you agreed, best to get rid of the current "friends" around you and find a new social milieu. There are plenty of good and nice people of all ages out there but you're not likely to find them in the group you associate with right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 08:30 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,592,370 times
*sigh*

Movin'on....if you're bound and determined to lie, then go for it. You don't need our permission. If it makes you sleep better at night knowing that you've lied and skewed someone's impression of you, then go for it. If you are bound and determined to live out the rest of your life alone, then go for it. Embrace it. Be happy about it!

But I still don't get why you pose these questions when you've already made up your mind.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:35 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
At what point should a person just accept that they might be alone the rest of their life?

The older one gets, the harder it is to make friends, let alone date, IMHO. The traditional venues for meeting people seem to go by the wayside, as people just get married and have children and get too busy in their lives - no more time for a lot of things.

I had a friend who told me that once she turned 50 the interest she got from men on dating sites just plummeted. After ten years of trying to find someone online she just ended up going back to her ex-husband, considering he was a pretty good deal. She was broke, in a lot of debt so she rang him and within a few months they were married again. He is an engineer and had the same job for 30 years, same house, no one in his life with a nice retirement. If you ask me, she was lucky he took her back, but I digress.

At any rate, I don't want to have to "settle," as they say, but I am thinking I will have to or just accept being alone forever. I am not into online dating and if I were to go this route, I think I'd lie about my age by a few years. I'd hate to get "screened out" due to a number.

If you've ever thought about just giving up, at what age might you do so?
There is a new dating site for seniors, I hear it is very popular. Love and companionship is important at any age.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:36 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
112 years? Didn't Yellow Snow find a nice man called Whistler something when she was in her late fourties / early fifties?
Yes, she did. And he is more than I ever imagined.

I accepted the fact that I might be alone the rest of my life. It was just reality. I was going to make the most of what I had and just be a happy active person. I'll still do all those things but I won't be alone.

I also knew I would never give up. My head saw reality but my heart knew anything was possible. You don't ever get too old or used up. If the right person comes along, everything still works and the feelings are the same.

If it could happen to me, it could happen to you too! In the meantime, have fun and take good care of yourself. When it happens, you'll be glad you got the rest!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:41 AM

993 posts, read 2,291,969 times
You're never too old! My husband had a relative who got married for the first time in his 60's. Don't give up, it may take longer, but someone is out there.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,932,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Yes, she did. And he is more than I ever imagined.
He's 6'4" and 230 pounds. He should be more than she ever imagined.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:58 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Not really true. At a certain point men outnumber women. This leaves women scrambling for what's left.
Remove the negative thought from your thinking, if you think the leftovers
are what you'll get, I'll guarantee, thats what you'll get.

"The Secret"
Author...Rhonda Byrne

Old 11-24-2009, 09:00 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I'll be 51 in a few days... and if I were single tomorrow I'd not have any problem finding a new boyfriend. It helps a lot that I work in an academic setting and the men I get along with enjoy the company of an intelligent woman who is a good conversationalist. Of course, I can't compete with some 20-something year old woman exposing her midriff, but the men that would rather spend time with a young hottie are not the types of men that I would want for a boyfriend either.

I don't think that I will ever be too old for love. And it's not anything that I worry about.

I also will never ever turn to online dating to find male company. I'm more into finding new people to meet in person.
Just curious, how come you won't ever do the online dating thing?

Old 11-24-2009, 09:03 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Theoretically, yes. Although I did slightly use a pic of me when thinner on a website.
How do you "slightly use" a pic? You either posted a pic that was not representative, or you didn't.

Honestly! That is the NUMBER one complaint of people that use online dating sites (and I am one of those people). If you can't bring yourself to post an honest picture, then DON'T POST ONE. Why would anyone hang around after they meet you and find out you don't look like what you said you do????

Old 11-24-2009, 09:28 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,856,820 times
Default Mixing Two Incompatable Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
On one hand, sure, there are those who do end up being alone their entire lives, no one attends their funeral and no one misses them when they are gone……
I can’t say that I really care if anyone attends my funeral but just because someone is unmarried doesn’t mean that no one will attend. Most single people have loads of friends, acquaintances, people from work, family, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Deciding to "give up" as you say, says more about the person, than about the chances of finding love.

Positive people, those that don't quit, have a healthy outlook on life and enjoy companionship, would not ever "give up". It has nothing to do with age.
Being in a successful relationship may be helped by these attributes but they are perhaps more important to avoid an unhappy relationship. Too often people, especially women feel they must have a spouse to be complete ad will compromise too much to get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships