Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times

Advertisements

Honestly, 18-25 year olds (actually, 18-28year olds, specifically) don't flock to church regardless of their level of attractiveness. As a former church employee, I can say that virtually every mainstream denomination is well aware of the fact that that this is by far their most underrepresented demographic. As people age and get families, they are statistically more likely to return to at least occasional church attendance and/or involving their children in things like Sunday School or religion classes or confirmation. But the typically single/no kids demographic is the lowest in terms of churchgoing. Has been for years.

This is also the reason that more cult-ish organizations tend to prey on this age group, and when you hear about fringe religious outfits, they're often largely populated with people in this age group. The people who run these organizations are also aware of the stats, and they specifically target the "young, unchurched" who aren't involved in more typically mainline church activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 07:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Hot ones are usually in your wealthier denominations like episcopalian or presbyterian.
Ha, I had no idea there was such division...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Believe it or not, all ye non-church going fellas, you're just missing lifetime opportunities
Meh... slugs show up after rain everywhere!

Old 12-18-2009, 01:54 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,555,912 times
I met one of my past relationships at a (Catholic) church, and I'm not even religious...

You can meet your SO anywhere. The only secret, I guess, is not looking for her/him too hard.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:17 AM

457 posts, read 1,378,041 times
Hmmm, maybe I need to start attending church, could be good for the soul and the heart all at once..?

Old 12-18-2009, 05:24 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,436,348 times
Church is a good place to meet women...if you are like 16 or 17 ish. I go to church and it seems as if most women past the age of about 20 are already married, or at least engaged. Religious women tend to marry VERY young. Not a good place to meet women if you are 21 or over....

Old 12-18-2009, 05:35 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,016,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leather Jacket View Post
I never understood why so many people suggest church when asked where is a good place to meet women.

First off, if someone actually has to be suggested to church, it means they never went that much in the first place and hence aren't very religious. So if they meet a girl who DOES go to church often, there's going to be a mismatch between them.

Second of all, I used to go Church often as a teenager (only because my parents made me) and I've only gone a handful of times since then (mostly for curiosity sake or boredom rather than to pray) and in all my memory, I cannot recall seeing a single attractive girl who was either 1) not married or 2) not of the legal age of consent.

It just doesn't seem like pretty 18-25 year old girls flock to church.

By the time I saw this there were already 4 pages of responses. Maybe what I'm saying here has already been said; nevertheless...

Seriously, has anyone ever REALLY met a girl in a bar?

First off, if someone has to be told to go to a bar then it means they don't really go that often and probably don't drink that much; so if they DO meet a girl there, it will be a mismatch anyway.

Seriously, has anyone ever REALLY met a girl in a club?

First off, if someone has to be told to go to a club then it means they don't really go that often and probably don't get into the club scene that much; so if they DO meet a girl there, it will be a mismatch anyway.

Seriously, has anyone ever REALLY met a girl in a supermarket?

First off, if someone has to be told to go to a supermarket then it means they don't really go that often and probably HATE shopping for groceries so much they don't really have time to pay attention to women because they're in such agony over the presence of canned peas; so if they DO meet a girl they'd better hope she's a mismatch or they'll starve (or possibly become huge from eating out all the time).

Seriously, has anyone ever REALLY met a girl?

Because I'm not convinced they exist.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:44 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
I know quite a few people who've met their spouses at church...guess it depends on what you look like. If you're ugly it won't matter where you go...you probably still won't meet anyone.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:09 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ha, I had no idea there was such division...
ohh yeah. where I am from is extremely provincial. we had about as many catholics and jews as we do hindus or muslims. meaning: not many.

episcopalians, for example, were associated with English old money, your early plantation types. methodist, presby, that was like your 'merchant class'. Baptist and miscellaneous evangelicals, those were your yeoman dirt farming Scots-irish hillbilly banjo-players.

while all this sounds ridiculous in a modern context, I can promise you it is very real in these folks' subconscious.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:18 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,456,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
episcopalians, for example, were associated with English old money, your early plantation types. methodist, presby, that was like your 'merchant class'. Baptist and miscellaneous evangelicals, those were your yeoman dirt farming Scots-irish hillbilly banjo-players.

while all this sounds ridiculous in a modern context, I can promise you it is very real in these folks' subconscious.
Fascinating. Need to print it out.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:58 PM

233 posts, read 744,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Church is a good place to meet women...if you are like 16 or 17 ish. I go to church and it seems as if most women past the age of about 20 are already married, or at least engaged. Religious women tend to marry VERY young. Not a good place to meet women if you are 21 or over....
I agree with you that church girls tend to marry young yet you will find many attractive girls in their middle to late 20's still single. You need to go to a large church to find this. The church i have been to is one of the largest congregations in the country. It has a group catering to only post college 20 somethings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships