Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Even if you do see the world in such black and white terms, why assign a label to yourself that you clearly see as negative? Doesn't it make more sense to highlight your good qualities instead? If you go around saying you're a manlet, what do you expect people to think? Even if you don't say it out loud, you probably project it.
I sort of wonder about desire when I see a label like "alpha", "beta", gamma...lol, sigma.

Simple common sense would tell you, when you go outside, there's a wide variety of women. Muscular, thin, tall, short, foreign, athletic girls. Girls with brains instead of athletics. Girls with ponytails.

They don't think of themselves with just 2 labels...alpha or beta. So why would the flip side suddenly be...alpha or beta?

Kind of sad, that in society, girls are free to be who they want to be (for the most part), and guys are stuck with these silly labels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 02:02 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,977,032 times
Maybe the OP has a point.

Prosecutor: Coe raped 4-year-old girl before her death | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
Young left her husband for Coe, "a bad boy without a job or any ambition," about three months before Emma's death, Ansari said. She said Coe frequently baby sat the child. He also spent an hour alone with her, the day she died.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:31 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I sort of wonder about desire when I see a label like "alpha", "beta", gamma...lol, sigma.

Simple common sense would tell you, when you go outside, there's a wide variety of women. Muscular, thin, tall, short, foreign, athletic girls. Girls with brains instead of athletics. Girls with ponytails.

They don't think of themselves with just 2 labels...alpha or beta. So why would the flip side suddenly be...alpha or beta?

Kind of sad, that in society, girls are free to be who they want to be (for the most part), and guys are stuck with these silly labels.
The labels are self-imposed. Think about the guy who works out, but still has a lot of fat on him. He can go on a dating site like match and describe himself as athletic even though he's sporting a beer gut along with his big biceps. The rest of the world might label him fat. But he obviously decided that the label is either inaccurate or probably accurate, but one he's not willing to wear. The rest of us might look at him and think "who do you think you're kidding?" But the point is that he's not telling the world that he has a low opinion of himself. Now compare that with labels like beta. If the rest of the world labels you that, you have no control over it the same way I can't control if people describe me as short because I'm 5'8". But if I go around describing myself as short, then it sends the message that I don't think well of myself. Labels like beta, short or fat aren't just purely descriptive terms that are neutral. They have negative connotations, if not in your mind than in the minds of others. So again, why give yourself a label that'll call to attention what you think are your negative qualities?

Old 09-15-2010, 10:08 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
I've always had a crush on David Spade. I'll take personality over height any day.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:36 PM

968 posts, read 2,625,156 times
danny devito is an alpha male.

and i wanna be like danny devito

so therefore i am an alpha male.

(looks around for peer approval) jk.

so i've read over the majority of this thread and i have a bit of confusion about the way an alpha male works.

choice A: is the alpha male the one who goes into a group, exclaims something negative sucks and then expects the group to agree with him? (is he an alpha male if the group agrees, and then a beta male if they don't?)

choice B: or is the alpha male the silent guy in the group who is friends with everyone and laughing about how stupid the beta male was once he awkwardly leaves the group because they are ignoring him?

A. i am not an alpha male but i've brawled with one because he physically threatened and attacked a friend.

B. i'm an alpha male, but i really don't care about labels...

Last edited by Orincarnia; 09-15-2010 at 12:45 PM..

Old 09-15-2010, 05:05 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
The labels are self-imposed. Think about the guy who works out, but still has a lot of fat on him. He can go on a dating site like match and describe himself as athletic even though he's sporting a beer gut along with his big biceps. The rest of the world might label him fat. But he obviously decided that the label is either inaccurate or probably accurate, but one he's not willing to wear. The rest of us might look at him and think "who do you think you're kidding?" But the point is that he's not telling the world that he has a low opinion of himself. Now compare that with labels like beta. If the rest of the world labels you that, you have no control over it the same way I can't control if people describe me as short because I'm 5'8". But if I go around describing myself as short, then it sends the message that I don't think well of myself. Labels like beta, short or fat aren't just purely descriptive terms that are neutral. They have negative connotations, if not in your mind than in the minds of others. So again, why give yourself a label that'll call to attention what you think are your negative qualities?
I think labeling can be a sickness. Much like anorexia. Maybe it's a form of mental anorexia.

Even if you're 5'8, why not date a girl who's 5'3 or 5'4? I don't think people who label themselves, chronically for years, they don't have the social experience (to give them feedback) that their label is incorrect.

There's so many different types of women, for all guys to assign 2 labels to themselves it's simply irrational. Labels are probably as dangerous to otherwise healthy guys, as not eating is as dangerous to otherwise healthy women.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:37 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,085,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post

Gee, I'm a beta male and under 6 feet tall and I don't date much, yet I read all about Hitler and other horrible men being really popular with the ladies. what gives?
Hitler was wealthy, and ran most of Europe, and could have you killed if you didn't tell people he was wonderful. And you compare yourself to him?

a..ah....ahh...ahahahahaha

Old 09-15-2010, 10:00 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
I read through most of this thread over a few days.

Seriously? Someone has designated themselves a beta male based upon a 5'10 height measurement?! Seriously?

I get irritated at the broad brush strokes of the guys about the gals, and the gals about the guys, and a hundred other stereotypes that are applied to actual individuals.

But this takes the cake... and the ice cream... and all the decorations.....

You ARE a beta male. But because of what's between your ears (or NOT between your ears as the case may be). You're actually a beta human because you lack any self-realization.

/ok. I'm sleep deprived and CRANKY. I may feel bad for this post later.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:28 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,743 times
Hey, Beta, why don't you go back trolling on the LoveShack Forum where there are several other women-bashers like you live?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:16 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
There's so many different types of women, for all guys to assign 2 labels to themselves it's simply irrational. Labels are probably as dangerous to otherwise healthy guys, as not eating is as dangerous to otherwise healthy women.
It's healthy to be able to take an honest look at yourself and recognize what you are and aren't. I can call myself scrawny, but I don't apply that term as a way to put myself down. I just see it as being candid with myself that that's what I am. But I also know that it's a label that others will see as a bad thing. So I don't go around introducing myself as a scrawny guy. We all have to make the most of what we have to work with. That's the problem with telling the world you're a beta male. It's kind of like if someone who was overweight described themselves as "not skinny." It may be true that they're not skinny, but by framing it in terms of what you're not, you're basically asking others to see you in the same way. It's hard to be interested in something if all you know about it is what it's not. Imagine if Honda's slogan was "buy our cars cause we're not Toyota."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships