Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:16 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,583,818 times

Advertisements

Online dating is interesting or can be at times. Its a numbers game really

All the girls I have dated in the past few years I met online.

As for dating being a numbers game it works out like this at least for guys. For every 10 messages you send, you will get 4 replies, of those 4 replies two will agree to go out with you on a date, of those two 1 MAY become a relationship

No negativity intended in my post. Just mere opinion on my own experience

At least for my age group, a lot of girls (not all) are either ugly or just plain strange.

Im fortunate enough that I know the cool ones

Last edited by DavieJ89; 02-25-2010 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 01:30 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
If you haven't had that experience, I'm sorry. I also understand you are atheist, which cuts out the best place to find women - the church.

It's not about bragging, I'm just encouraging the readers to stop wasting time on dating sites and take it into the real world. The internet and dating sites in general have severely handicapped people in social terms.

How many of the folks are discouraged at how it never works, people turn out to be liars, deceptive pictures and the actual person shows up and looks TOTALLY different than the pictures, the amount of scams that go on, how half of the people on every dating site happen to be sitting in Russia or Nigeria..... the various threads on C/D stand testimony to it.

On the other hand, people do find success via dating sites, but you don't hear the good stories as often as the horror ones.

And those co-workers of mine, I smply tagged them along to some of my parties from meetup.com, a totally free site. They simply thank me every time for the amount of people they get to meet, free of cost.

If a 50$ site won't let people search, that's a scam. Who will trust internet code or some javascript robot find a potential life match. FAIL
Being an atheist certainly makes it harder to meet compatible people, but I don't have a lot of difficulty meeting people to date in the offline world. I've even joined meetup and met people through that. But there are limits to how many quality people you'll meet that way, which is why I think online dating is a viable option for someone to broaden the pool of possibilities. You make it sound like the people "wasting their time" with online dating are using that as their primary and possibly only method. I don't believe that to be the case. Who says they're not using both online and offline methods?

As for people's experiences with online dating, the horror stories will always get more attention than the good stories. Part of that is because people are more likely to share a negative story than a good one. Second, people tend to exaggerate. They don't meet Mr. or Mrs. Right within a month so they start badmouthing the site. What you rarely hear is people admitting that they put up a lousy profile or contacted people they had no chance with. Frankly, I think too many people fixate on the negative stories in order to reinforce their preconceived notion. It reminds me of these morons who use the recent snow storms to disprove global warming. They start with a conclusion they already have and then latch onto anything that could support it.

Lastly, the $50 fee for eharmony may seem high compared to other services, but I don't believe not being able to search qualifies it as a scam. You clearly don't understand what that price reflects. The research that went into developing their questionnaire and matching algorithm, the filtering they do to screen out people who would make lousy matches for anyone, and their 'guided communication'. And if you're still harping on the inability to search, I repeat my earlier point. Stop complaining about something you should've known about beforehand. If you don't agree with the premise of the site, fine. But if you're going to bash the site, at least do so in terms of what they're promoting.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:22 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,903,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Exactly. But most people will do it for just a month and if they haven't met Mr. or Mrs. Right by then, they'll declare the whole thing to be a failure.
The problem I found is that they keep resending me the same matches. Why keep paying for it when there's hardly any one new in my area?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:45 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
The problem I found is that they keep resending me the same matches. Why keep paying for it when there's hardly any one new in my area?
Patience is key for online dating. If you don't have it, then try some other venue.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:49 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
You make it sound like the people "wasting their time" with online dating are using that as their primary and possibly only method. I don't believe that to be the case. Who says they're not using both online and offline methods?
Exactly. What...people think that if you use online dating, you're a hermit and never look elsewhere? Online is just that...an additional venue.

Quote:
[b]As for people's experiences with online dating, the horror stories will always get more attention than the good stories. Part of that is because people are more likely to share a negative story than a good one. Second, people tend to exaggerate. They don't meet Mr. or Mrs. Right within a month so they start badmouthing the site.
Yep.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:58 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,990,287 times
Most of the guys I have gone on dates with were from online. I typically think you are much better off meeting someone though through a real life situation, but that rarely has happened to me. I joined sports, when to social events, joined activities I was into, and nope, rarely happened or if I did, the guy never called after showing interest when we met.

Anyway, my online dating experiences pretty much mimic those that have met guys in bars or clubs. I think like someone said weeks ago, it really isn't that much different dating online than randomly meeting someone in a club or bar. Ex) Online, men and women go out with a ton of guys casually that they met online at least for a 1st date. The same can be said with those that are regulars at bars and clubs. Don't think you are special and that he/she only asked you for your number (hard for me to realize that, but it's true).

Ok but my experiences in a nutshell:
1. Guys with pictures more than a year old... Honestly, you can have flattering pictures, but at least have them be recent!
2. Guys that choose the options that they want to find a date or long term relationship... This means they just want to casually see women! I don't care that they wrote LTR, that's what it has been with EVERY GUY I met who selects those 2 options.
3. Guys that lie about their work and history (most were honest though).
4. Guys that I saw 2x, but then vanished on me.
5. Guys that were way too touchy feely early on.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:32 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I understand that eharmony is full of sh*T since don't let you view photos first and then you pay the 60 dollars only to find you have a lot in common with a MONSTER who lives 100 miles away.
This is true but it's a reasonable business practice. Of course they want you to subscribe and I doubt you are only matched up with monsters.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
If you haven't had that experience, I'm sorry. I also understand you are atheist, which cuts out the best place to find women - the church.

It's not about bragging, I'm just encouraging the readers to stop wasting time on dating sites and take it into the real world. The internet and dating sites in general have severely handicapped people in social terms.

How many of the folks are discouraged at how it never works, people turn out to be liars, deceptive pictures and the actual person shows up and looks TOTALLY different than the pictures, the amount of scams that go on, how half of the people on every dating site happen to be sitting in Russia or Nigeria..... the various threads on C/D stand testimony to it.

On the other hand, people do find success via dating sites, but you don't hear the good stories as often as the horror ones.

And those co-workers of mine, I smply tagged them along to some of my parties from meetup.com, a totally free site. They simply thank me every time for the amount of people they get to meet, free of cost.

If a 50$ site won't let people search, that's a scam. Who will trust internet code or some javascript robot find a potential life match. FAIL
I think people would like to meet in real life but they don't know how to do it. I think things like the internet and all this technology now has actually hurt the way people interact in real life. Everything is considered a no no now and people have all these rules like don't date someone at work and don't go to clubs to talk to single people. I wish there was more singles clubs/groups across the nation it seems like a really lacking area not to mention if you ask me there's some sort of business opportunity in there somewhere. A lot of people are unhappy with online dating there has to be some sort of better way to do it in real life. I found a singles group near me on meetup that is in a major city and going by their "who attended list" hardly anyone ever goes to the get togethers even though their members list is huge.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:40 PM

190 posts, read 413,295 times
^^^ Agree about the meetup website. In a group I am in: 450 members and often <20 who go to the events. Even then, I think your odds of getting a bf / gf are MUCH higher using meetup instead of online dating sites. More fun too.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInHSV View Post
^^^ Agree about the meetup website. In a group I am in: 450 members and often <20 who go to the events. Even then, I think your odds of getting a bf / gf are MUCH higher using meetup instead of online dating sites. More fun too.
You might be right but I still say real life involves a lot of luck. If the women don't cross your path, it's not your fault you know what I mean?
Most women I meet in real life aren't even single. That's why I think there's a huge business opportunity for something like a real life eharmony. I know there are real life matchmaking services now but I mean something better and more complex than the ones that are out there now. Also something that is affordable for the average American I've heard some of the real life matchmaking services are extremely expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships