Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 11:07 AM

1,089 posts, read 2,398,188 times

Advertisements

As a guy born and raised in a western culture (and assuming you haven't converted to an arranged married religion) ... would you consider marrying a girl from an eastern/middle eastern arranged married culture?

If so, would you honestly be willing to go through with the marriage the 'traditional' way, meaning, you either meet your bride on the wedding day or maybe once in the presence of her family?

Or would you demand that they adapt to your culture and allow you to get to know the girl first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 11:15 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
I can't remember ever having purchased anything sight-unseen. That would certainly apply to a wife as well. That's not only cultural but a preference. I prefer to make my own mistakes if that is the ultimate result.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:20 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I can't remember ever having purchased anything sight-unseen. That would certainly apply to a wife as well. That's not only cultural but a preference. I prefer to make my own mistakes if that is the ultimate result.
I fee the same way. Now, if I met her once before the wedding and she looks like Aishwara Rai or Deepika Padukone (see photos) AND I am living in their country (and thus abiding by their culture just like we expect people to do here in America (i.e., immigrants)) then sign me up for the wedding.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:20 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
I wouldn't even consider such a thing and I've always thought the whole concept was incredibly stupid. Why on earth would anyone want to marry someone they don't even know? It's surprising that this still happens in the twenty first century but I suppose it's deeply embedded in certain cultures because it's been going on for such a long period of time. I suspect that the origins of this practice were based on the parent's desire to benefit themselves by marrying into a family that they considered to be of an appropriate social status.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:27 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Or to score goats and sheep or a camel.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:29 AM

994 posts, read 1,681,433 times
Only if I was given 10 goats, 2 cows and half a chicken.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:37 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I fee the same way. Now, if I met her once before the wedding and she looks like Aishwara Rai or Deepika Padukone (see photos) AND I am living in their country (and thus abiding by their culture just like we expect people to do here in America (i.e., immigrants)) then sign me up for the wedding.
She was a TRUE hottie in her early 90s Miss World days. The first time I saw her on stage I was 11 or 12, she was invited as a special guest of honour during one of our school festivities.

She was a DOLL

Not so good now.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:37 AM

740 posts, read 1,232,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Or to score goats and sheep or a camel.
My mom worked on and off in Kyrgyzstan for a while and when my brother (in HS at the time) pissed her off she would say, "If you don't quit doing ______ I swear I am going to trade you in for a herd of goats"

Never worked well a threat, but made me and my dad laugh

Old 02-13-2010, 02:23 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
This whole concept bothers me. Arranged marriage is obviously not the pursuit of love, so why not find someone you can at least be compatible with before marrying them? If you're going to marry someone you are not in love with then why not find a true companion?

Bleh.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:36 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinlalaland View Post
As a guy born and raised in a western culture (and assuming you haven't converted to an arranged married religion) ... would you consider marrying a girl from an eastern/middle eastern arranged married culture?

If so, would you honestly be willing to go through with the marriage the 'traditional' way, meaning, you either meet your bride on the wedding day or maybe once in the presence of her family?

Or would you demand that they adapt to your culture and allow you to get to know the girl first?
My parents couldn't have done a worse job of picking a husband for me than I did for myself. I think my "picker" was broke for a long time.

I read an article yesterday...and wish I could find it now...where some guy in the Mideast refused to marry the woman his family had chosen. Seems he never saw her face till just before the wedding and she had crossed eyes and a "beard". He sued to get back all the gifts and jewelry he had given to her prior and the court said "No".

Maybe some of the guys who claim they can't even get a date might consider it but even that is iffy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships