Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:02 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinlalaland View Post
That is why divorce was invented my dear
I'm pretty sure that's exactly how things work in MindFu's book!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 10:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
arranged marriage is ok, arranged service contract during the marriage is much better.
mother in laws in the orient keep new wives from devouring their sons after the wedding.
we need it here.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:12 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I once had a woman from India working for me and she was in an arranged marriage. They'd been married about 20 years by then, had a couple of nearly grown kids and she told me a few things. She said that nobody 'loved' their partner when they married but that it was very possible for love to grow with time.
You know something, due to mass marketing promoting useless crap, western culture is WAY to caught up in 'love', and desire to feel this enigmatic emotion.

Americans forget that relationships are also business transactions. This business transaction entails sharing limited resources, paying bills, talking care of sick family, going to work, being a provider, being a protector, being a shoulder to cry on, and most importantly, lending an ear so your mate can debrief themselves. This does not require 'love' but it does require compassion, maturity, and a willingness to work together as a team to stay alive in this world.

The point of my rant is that I feel it's much more of a success to stay with your consort for 20 years, and raise the little ones to be productive citizens even if you could not proclaim that you 'love' your consort then to be able to procalim that all your past relationships you were 'madly in love' but yet you have nothing to show forth except a string of failed relationships and fatherless/motherless children.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:23 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,881,738 times
The True concept of Arranged Marriage is that u marry that someone whom god has willed to be your life partner ... as a muslim we're supposed to completely trust our lord for everything ..as we believe that what he does ..he does it for good ..and that its a part of his plan ..so before marrying a total stranger we pray to god for some clues and seek his counsel ..many people say that u get the clues in your dreams and all ..its not correct ..from my personal experience ..when u expect a news good/bad we're bound to obey and take it as it is ..a clue from god ..this may sound weird to you folks but this is what arranged marriage is all about in Islam ..the prayer is called ''Istikhara'' seeking gods counsell .. not just for marriage but for everything doubtfull and very very important issues .. read more if u're interested to know about marriage in Islam ..on various islamic websites

Old 02-16-2010, 11:11 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm24x7 View Post
The True concept of Arranged Marriage is that u marry that someone whom god has willed to be your life partner ... as a muslim we're supposed to completely trust our lord for everything ..as we believe that what he does ..he does it for good ..and that its a part of his plan ..so before marrying a total stranger we pray to god for some clues and seek his counsel ..many people say that u get the clues in your dreams and all ..its not correct ..from my personal experience ..when u expect a news good/bad we're bound to obey and take it as it is ..a clue from god ..this may sound weird to you folks but this is what arranged marriage is all about in Islam ..the prayer is called ''Istikhara'' seeking gods counsell .. not just for marriage but for everything doubtfull and very very important issues .. read more if u're interested to know about marriage in Islam ..on various islamic websites
What if the clues lead you to an ugly woman?

Old 02-16-2010, 01:53 PM

1,089 posts, read 2,398,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Pray. Harder.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:12 PM

740 posts, read 1,233,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Well, one of the key principles of Islam is submission to God's will, so I'm pretty sure you'd just have to accept. This is likely the reason there are many Turkish proverbs about how ugly women make better wives.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:46 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I wouldn't even consider such a thing and I've always thought the whole concept was incredibly stupid. Why on earth would anyone want to marry someone they don't even know? It's surprising that this still happens in the twenty first century but I suppose it's deeply embedded in certain cultures because it's been going on for such a long period of time. I suspect that the origins of this practice were based on the parent's desire to benefit themselves by marrying into a family that they considered to be of an appropriate social status.
Actually, our concept of marriage here in the west is relatively new and rare. Throughout history, marriage has been more about forming alliances between families, protecting economic interests, and achieving political goals than it has been about love. So while we may think it's crazy, even offensive to marry someone you've never met, you also have to keep in mind how other cultures view marriage. Personally, I would never marry someone I've never even met, I don't care how compatible I might be with them. If someone thinks I'd be a good match for them, then let's meet for coffee, not book the wedding hall. But our higher expectations of marriage explains why our divorce rate is so much higher than in cultures that believe in arranged marriage.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:59 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm24x7 View Post
I don't think the OP was referring to arranged marriages specifically around Muslim couples.

I have a friend, for example, that's in a kinda-sorta arranged marriage and she's Greek. There's no religious context to the decision whatsoever, other than they're both Greek Orthodox. The reasoning in the marriage is that they both are from the same island in Greece and have matching dowrys or something like that and their families know each other, etc etc.

So, yes, in Islam arranged marriage is often seen as having divine intervention, but in other cultures/religions, it's more of a social and financial agreement.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:12 PM

1,089 posts, read 2,398,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I don't think the OP was referring to arranged marriages specifically around Muslim couples.
Yes actually in my OP I specifically excluded religion, at least on the groom's side. I should have also excluded say, Indian men living in a western country. Because my original interest was what purely westernized men thought of the idea since it is so completely opposite to how we go about things here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships