Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 04:15 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You didn't even read the first post, did you
Nope, nor do I care too either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 06:52 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,869 times
This thread was started by one of the strangest personalities I've ever encountered on the internet before. And that's really saying something. I'm glad he's been absent for months now. I'm afraid all these replies to this thread are blowing up his email with notifications and he'll remember this place exists again.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:16 AM

69 posts, read 41,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I saw "The 40 Year old Virgin" in the theatres when it came out, and I remember at one point Steve Carrol's character, the forty year old virgin, says "hey, I respect women! I respect them so much, I don't even talk to them!" and people in the theatre laughed....but I didn't, because that is how I always felt.

I am sorry, but I am one man who feels that the best way for a man to respect women is just to please, LEAVE THEM ALONE. I do not talk to woman socially, do not go to bars and go up to some woman who I do not know (the nerve of some guys) and do not bother them. I figure that they just want to be left alone. How is that not good wisdom, especially if you, like me, are not an attractive man (short, bad skin, out of shape etc) and know, honestly, that no woman wants to be bothered by the likes of you?

I for one am of the opinion that the best way to show one's respect for women is to leave them alone. That is the philosophy I have followed my whole life and I have never angered any women or made any woman uncomfortable in my entire life as a result. I would say that that qualifies me as a "good man".

EDIT: I do not mean "never, under any circumstances" talk to women, but what I mean is in the social, flirty way. If the cashier at the bank is a female than of course I will talk to her or a female co-worker. However, when it comes to females, it is best to leave it at business and nothing more.
You sound obsessed with respecting women. That's not normal. Why do you feel like you should respect women that much?

Old 04-10-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondvalle View Post
You sound obsessed with respecting women. That's not normal. Why do you feel like you should respect women that much?
At least he's not abusing women or using them for his own personal gain.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:56 AM

641 posts, read 405,610 times
Quote:
Yes, she came up to me, talking to me, and I told her to go to hell, called her fat (which she wasn't, but women hate to hear that), and I think she went to the ladie's room to cry...and I am still find it funny.

BUT, I never said I was rebuffed by women! I just said that it was a preemptive paypack against any future possible rejection, and that I was simply defending myself. That woman was up to no good.

I do not talk to women, and I would like women to not talk to me either. Simple as that.
This guy's a piece of work.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:47 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
That woman came up to me while I was having a drink alone at a bar. I go to bars to drink and be alone with my thoughts, not be harassed by some female I don't even know. Had she of left me alone, I would have left her alone as well and that would have been that.

Also, I am not saying be "friendly" is not okay, just the whole flirting thing is horrable. One can say "please" and "thank you" and all that but the whole going up to someone and just talking is really disrespectful.
So you go to a place that is generally considered a place to be social and then are a total pr!ck. And you are ok with that?

Old 04-10-2017, 11:56 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
So you go to a place that is generally considered a place to be social and then are a total pr!ck. And you are ok with that?
That seems a little harsh. This poster has a very different take on things, and one that will put him at odds with people, but I'm pretty sure he's under no obligation to be social just because he's in a bar. It sounds like he believes he has an obligation to be polite, but none beyond that. And if he's annoyed by someone approaching him, but he's polite, I'm not sure he's failed any aspect of the social contract. Really, polite's not even necessarily required. Would a woman's presence in a bar obligate her in any way to respond positively to a man's advances?

Old 04-10-2017, 12:20 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondvalle View Post
Old thread. 7 years ago, he might've changed his mindset.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:27 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
That seems a little harsh. This poster has a very different take on things, and one that will put him at odds with people, but I'm pretty sure he's under no obligation to be social just because he's in a bar. It sounds like he believes he has an obligation to be polite, but none beyond that. And if he's annoyed by someone approaching him, but he's polite, I'm not sure he's failed any aspect of the social contract. Really, polite's not even necessarily required. Would a woman's presence in a bar obligate her in any way to respond positively to a man's advances?
Calling someone fat and verbally harassing them in public is a pr!ck move. Period. Social contract? No one is required not to be a pr!ck. That does not change the fact that he was, indeed, one. I would think a woman who is not a pr!ck could respond politely. Hell I do it all the time.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I find it hilarious that a woman doesn't have to respond to a man, but if a woman shows interest in a man he must respond or he's an a**hole. Just another man bad, woman good double standards around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships