Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 09:46 AM

88,698 posts, read 85,065,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
In my experience, when I was younger (pre-teen to later teens), shorter guys our age had no interest in tall girls (me or my tall friends.) So as a tall woman, you sort of write them off based on past experience, assuming "Why would a shorter guy being interested in a taller girl?"
Very true--for young guys, it's important to show their friends that they've got a catch on their arm. They weren't going to take the risk of being seen with a "freak".

I have noticed that this younger generation seems a lot more relaxed about such things, though. Over the past few years, I've noticed a few young couples on the street where the woman is taller than the man. Good to see that.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I'll admit, it definitely doesn't make me feel good to be called a "Goon" or in this case, a "Giant." The poster who made the Giant comment wasn't doing it in a joking manner, BUT the one thing in life is I've learned is to consider who/where the comment is coming from.
True!

And it was "freaking giant".

Old 03-20-2011, 09:48 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,754,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I was born in the PNW and am ethnically Scandanavian. It's funny, here in CA and also back in MA (where I spent my teens), I always felt somewhat tall. I moved back up to WA for a year, and it seemed like a third of the guys walking around were my height or taller - three out of ten coworkers at one job were 6'4 or 6'5!
I moved to Chicago nearly three years ago and have definitely noticed the women are taller here.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:50 AM

817 posts, read 812,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Very true--for young guys, it's important to show their friends that they've got a catch on their arm. They weren't going to take the risk of being seen with a "freak".

I have noticed that this younger generation seems a lot more relaxed about such things, though. Over the past few years, I've noticed a few young couples on the street where the woman is taller than the man. Good to see that.
I have seen very few tall women with shorter men in my 11 years of stay in this nation, while I have seen plenty of extremely tall men(read 6'5" and above) with extremely short women(5'2" and below), that said, I am 5'10", which I consider a good height for a man, and most women are NOT taller than me, maybe in their 4" heels, but I see very few women who are taller than me while they are barefoot or in normal footwear.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,415,792 times
Quote:
The first bolded statement is probably true. When I was young it was important to me, first and foremost, to have a man who was taller. It probably has something to do with the years of name-calling and snide remarks that you get growing up too tall. And the FIRST THING anyone asks you back then is, "How do you find a guy tall enough for you?", so the message is entrenched that this is important.

For any younger tall women out there: It would be a good idea to lose that outlook if you recognize it in yourself. Being married to the "tall jerk" is not good.
So true!! That was my experience! People were (and apparently still are as proven in this thread ) cruel, including shorter guys. You grow up thinking your supposed to be with someone taller.

It wasn't until I was 20+ that I started realizing shorter guys were digging me, height and all. Once I came to that realization, I was much more open to the idea of dating a shorter guy...and did.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 AM

817 posts, read 812,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Maybe in SoCal lol. Have you ever been to the midwest, or heard the expression "corn-fed" girl? The average height of women in the midwest probably is 5'9" or better. Women who are 6'3" or even 6'5" weren't too uncommon there.

I've noticed women here in South Florida are much shorter and I think that might be due to the fact that a good number of them are Jewish or of Hispanic descent.
Untrue, I have been in the Midwest, and while there might be more taller women here than in other parts of the nation, I wouldn't think the average height for a woman in the Midwest would be 5'9", perhaps in heels, but that's not what we are talking about, are we? I would put the average height of women even in the Midwest around 5'6" or so.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:55 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,890,264 times
Quote:

In high school, when I was about 5'10 or so, I dated a girl from my theatre class who was about 6'0. She was a babe. Scorching hot. I think maybe one or two people pointed out she was taller than me, but that was it... all the other dudes were like, "damn, she's hot. You lucky dude."

Funny though... I ran into her a couple years ago when I was visiting back home. I'm taller than her, now.

I have two little sisters; one is 23 and 5'4, the other is 14 and 5'8, only about an inch shorter than I was at her age. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up being around or over 6'0, and she's already taller than my dad. I hope she doesn't have any issues with this one way or the other... it's a shame how it seems height is a "pro" for a guy, and an "con" for a woman in so many peoples' minds. Like anyone can control it.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
So true!! That was my experience! People were (and apparently still are as proven in this thread ) cruel, including shorter guys. You grow up thinking your supposed to be with someone taller.

It wasn't until I was 20+ that I started realizing shorter guys were digging me, height and all. Once I came to that realization, I was much more open to the idea of dating a shorter guy...and did.
Good for you!

It still exists to some degree. One example is at work--you know the big five-gallon water bottles that have to be placed in the cooler when the water runs out? Well, the petite "hair-twirlers" can just sit there batting their eyes and looking helpless and six men will fall over themselves to put that water bottle in. If I ask for help, I'll get the remark, "What? You're a big girl--you can't put that bottle in?" I stopped asked years ago, and I put the damn water bottle in myself still. Besides, at 52, I'm still pretty strong and have good leverage, while the men my age are all whining about their bad backs.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
In high school, when I was about 5'10 or so, I dated a girl from my theatre class who was about 6'0. She was a babe. Scorching hot. I think maybe one or two people pointed out she was taller than me, but that was it... all the other dudes were like, "damn, she's hot. You lucky dude."

Funny though... I ran into her a couple years ago when I was visiting back home. I'm taller than her, now.

I have two little sisters; one is 23 and 5'4, the other is 14 and 5'8, only about an inch shorter than I was at her age. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up being around or over 6'0, and she's already taller than my dad. I hope she doesn't have any issues with this one way or the other... it's a shame how it seems height is a "pro" for a guy, and an "con" for a woman in so many peoples' minds. Like anyone can control it.
Despite the crap I had to put up with in grade school & high school, I wouldn't give my height up for the world. I definitely see it as a pro and hope that my daughter is 6' or taller. Being tall has definitely worked to my advantage.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Good for you!

It still exists to some degree. One example is at work--you know the big five-gallon water bottles that have to be placed in the cooler when the water runs out? Well, the petite "hair-twirlers" can just sit there batting their eyes and looking helpless and six men will fall over themselves to put that water bottle in. If I ask for help, I'll get the remark, "What? You're a big girl--you can't put that bottle in?" I stopped asked years ago, and I put the damn water bottle in myself still. Besides, at 52, I'm still pretty strong and have good leverage, while the men my age are all whining about their bad backs.
LOL...we have the same mentality! I'd be doing it for the exercise too! And I don't think I would ever ask a man to do it for me. I'd probably tease them if I saw them doing it by offering to give them a hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships