Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 09:20 AM

817 posts, read 812,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You did say, "One look at the posts of tall women in this thread would give people a glimpse at the way they behave," and I am pointing out that this thread contradicts you. I am not discounting your personal experience, just clarifying what this thread really says.

Of the two men, I asked one of them out and dated him a while. The other one was my boyfriend of several months in high school.
Okay, but still the overwhelming tone was one where most people had said they would give the shorter man "a chance", which is tending towards saying that they are a second choice, and I am not admonishing taller women for saying that, I am just telling the shorter men here that perhaps they are a fall back option, not a primary choice.

That said, good to know you don't think that way, I am sure there are some tall women like you too.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:27 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,419,412 times
Quote:
I'm an inch shy of that, but I am not offended by being called a giant. It just means really tall, which I am. Another poster who is no longer here said tall women are GOONS--now that wasn't so nice.

I'll admit, it definitely doesn't make me feel good to be called a "Goon" or in this case, a "Giant." The poster who made the Giant comment wasn't doing it in a joking manner, BUT the one thing in life is I've learned is to consider who/where the comment is coming from.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:36 AM

52,375 posts, read 52,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I'll admit, it definitely doesn't make me feel good to be called a "Goon" or in this case, a "Giant." The poster who made the Giant comment wasn't doing it in a joking manner, BUT the one thing in life is I've learned is to consider who/where the comment is coming from.
Women are all good.

Short
Fat
Tall
Thin

They are all delicious.......

Old 03-20-2011, 09:36 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,245,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It seems like most women are under 5'9''
Maybe in SoCal lol. Have you ever been to the midwest, or heard the expression "corn-fed" girl? The average height of women in the midwest probably is 5'9" or better. Women who are 6'3" or even 6'5" weren't too uncommon there.

I've noticed women here in South Florida are much shorter and I think that might be due to the fact that a good number of them are Jewish or of Hispanic descent.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,763,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
That's true. Hang on, let me get my high heels and I'll join you up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Maybe in SoCal lol. Have you ever been to the midwest, or heard the expression "corn-fed" girl? The average height of women in the midwest probably is 5'9" or better. Women who are 6'3" or even 6'5" weren't too uncommon there.

I've noticed women here in South Florida are much shorter and I think that might be due to the fact that a good number of them are Jewish or of Hispanic descent.
I'm from Southern California, but my height comes from my dad's side of the family--corn-fed Nebraskan. It's all that Nordic stock.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:40 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,895,103 times
I'm 6'2, so it's not super-frequent that I meet women who are taller than me. I've dated women who were taller though, and have found myself attracted to them. One of them initially wanted to date me but didn't because she was an inch taller than me, and then she realized that the chances of her finding a guy who she got along with as well as I who also happened to be 6'6+ were slim. It seems like a lot of taller women ultimately come to the same conclusion, and plenty of men do, too, whether comes to height or hair color or shape or whatever.

Also, I know plenty of guys who are 5'9 or below, and few of them have a Napoleon complex. Maybe they did in their teens or something, but most of them, at some point or another, realize that most women - certainly, the ones worth their salt - will care much more about who they are and how they make her feel than whether he cracks "the magical six foot barrier." My dad's 5'6 and went to Yale and then Harvard, and also served in the military for 30 years, earning a bronze star for his combat service in Iraq, in addition to having 3 kids with a woman who happens to be 5'10. His qualifications are a hell of a lot better than mine

It's kind of a crummy double standard... seems like with a lot of shorter guys who are successful, people assume that the whole reason for their success is that they "have something to prove" or are "trying to compensate," whereas if a guy who was "tall" had the same qualifications, it would just mean he's ambitious. Maybe the shorter guy was just ambitious, too?

Old 03-20-2011, 09:40 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,419,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter18 View Post
Well said, also a lot of these tall women who don't give a shorter man even a minute of their time when they are younger, later realize that they had missed out on a good shorter man because of their own inconsiderations, and then talk about giving a shorter man "a chance", which means that they would still consider a shorter man not a first preference, with that kind of an attitude, no sane man would be willing to consider a taller woman.

Since a lot of tall women here think they are a lot of tall men to go around in this world, go ahead and please yourself, , I know you would rather be happy with a tall jerk than be compatible with a man a few inches lesser than you.
In my experience, when I was younger (pre-teen to later teens), shorter guys our age had no interest in tall girls (me or my tall friends.) So as a tall woman, you sort of write them off based on past experience, assuming "Why would a shorter guy being interested in a taller girl?"

Old 03-20-2011, 09:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,763,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It's kind of a crummy double standard... seems like with a lot of shorter guys who are successful, people assume that the whole reason for their success is that they "have something to prove" or are "trying to compensate," whereas if a guy who was "tall" had the same qualifications, it would just mean he's ambitious. Maybe the shorter guy was just ambitious, too?
Good point!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,895,103 times
Quote:
I'm from Southern California, but my height comes from my dad's side of the family--corn-fed Nebraskan. It's all that Nordic stock.
I was born in the PNW and am ethnically Scandanavian. It's funny, here in CA and also back in MA (where I spent my teens), I always felt somewhat tall. I moved back up to WA for a year, and it seemed like a third of the guys walking around were my height or taller - three out of ten coworkers at one job were 6'4 or 6'5!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:44 AM

88,741 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter18 View Post
Well said, also a lot of these tall women who don't give a shorter man even a minute of their time when they are younger, later realize that they had missed out on a good shorter man because of their own inconsiderations, and then talk about giving a shorter man "a chance", which means that they would still consider a shorter man not a first preference, with that kind of an attitude, no sane man would be willing to consider a taller woman.

Since a lot of tall women here think they are a lot of tall men to go around in this world, go ahead and please yourself, , I know you would rather be happy with a tall jerk than be compatible with a man a few inches lesser than you.
The first bolded statement is probably true. When I was young it was important to me, first and foremost, to have a man who was taller. It probably has something to do with the years of name-calling and snide remarks that you get growing up too tall. And the FIRST THING anyone asks you back then is, "How do you find a guy tall enough for you?", so the message is entrenched that this is important.

For any younger tall women out there: It would be a good idea to lose that outlook if you recognize it in yourself. Being married to the "tall jerk" is not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.