Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:51 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Cleaning is almost always the responsibility of the one who is more obsessed about it. One's a "neat freak" and the other's a "slob". Gender doesn't matter.

1. Polished the the chrome bust of my paternal ancestor Gustav the third.
2. Collected dust mite sample and drove it to the lab.
3. Conducted optical efficiency test to gauge windows for ambient light utilization and optimized with Windex.
4. Designed indexing system for packed boxes in the attic and tuned the access frequency algorithm according to access records. The Christmas stuff was moved to the infrequency accessed zone and canning equipment was primed.
5. Home grown, organic hamster feed not within calcium requirement specs. Reformulating.....

How would you like to come home from work and try to crack open a beer on the sofa with someone like that around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 11:56 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,928,806 times
Bless her, I love her, but my girlfriend can be so anal about things!

This could be my future.
Her dad's like that, so she might get worse as she ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
1. Polished the the chrome bust of my paternal ancestor Gustav the third.
2. Collected dust mite sample and drove it to the lab.
3. Conducted optical efficiency test to gauge windows for ambient light utilization and optimized with Windex.
4. Designed indexing system for packed boxes in the attic and tuned the access frequency algorithm according to access records. The Christmas stuff was moved to the infrequency accessed zone and canning equipment was primed.
5. Home grown, organic hamster feed not within calcium requirement specs. Reformulating.....

How would you like to come home from work and try to crack open a beer on the sofa with someone like that around?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:58 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
A woman's place is at the house, cooking, cleaning and raising the kids.

bring the heat on!! lol

Old 03-31-2010, 12:20 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiko View Post
The house work vs outside work as it applies to gender, including the older days, is often mis-stated. Sure, the old fashion domestic wife would attend to much of the inside cleaning, child raising, and cooking but men would spend their weekend doing discipline, yard work, car repair, and repairing things around the house.

You never hear about the latter part though when many women complain that men don't do their "fair share." Many men both then and now do in fact do their fair share, it's just a different (and more dangerous) one.
I dont know what you mean by weekend discipline (is that a euphemism for something else ) Anyway, just want to point out that yard work, car and home repair are things that are not done on a daily basis or even a weekly/monthly basis.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:37 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,928,806 times
You haven't seen my car !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Anyway, just want to point out that car repair things are not done on a daily basis or even a weekly/monthly basis.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:32 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
You haven't seen my car !
LOL. I suspose there are always exceptions.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:29 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,305,167 times
Yes I think he should clean up after himself when he makes "direct" messes. Laundry, dishes, regular household chores are the job of the person who works significantly less. NOT the female, just the person who has less hours at a job. Seems fair to me.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:27 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
I dont know what you mean by weekend discipline (is that a euphemism for something else ) Anyway, just want to point out that yard work, car and home repair are things that are not done on a daily basis or even a weekly/monthly basis.
Depends on where you live. In Illinois, we had four seasons. Part of spring, you were mowing the yard. We had a "nut-buster" too. You also had the planting of the garden to do, since everything died during the winter. Summer, you mowed the grass every week, and it grew fast enough you could do it twice a week, plus you had the weeding of the garden to do. Come fall, you had leaves to rake, and still weeding those gardens. When winter came, you had to clear the sidewalks and driveway of the home--and if you were "lucky" enough to have a gravel driveway, you had a LOT of fun trying to clear it of snow.

Additionally, you would get little "projects" to do throughout the year. Maybe she wanted some bookshelves built in the living room. Maybe she wanted all the furniture rearranged--you think she was going to lift the couch or the mattresses? Or flipping them every three to four months--who got THAT job?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:29 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Deja Vu Again[/b];13511240]If he makes a sandwich, I clean it up. Get the picture?

I plan on heading back to work when the renovations are done.

So, since I have never been in a traditional role type relationship, is this normal?
When he makes a sandwich do you run behind him to clean up right away without saying a word ( that means you claim it as your responsibility)....or does he leave the mess for you to clean up (kind of like it's beneath him and strictly your role).

Ever thought about just leaving the mess and not cleaning up

Old 04-01-2010, 07:38 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Depends on where you live. In Illinois, we had four seasons. Part of spring, you were mowing the yard. We had a "nut-buster" too. You also had the planting of the garden to do, since everything died during the winter. Summer, you mowed the grass every week, and it grew fast enough you could do it twice a week, plus you had the weeding of the garden to do. Come fall, you had leaves to rake, and still weeding those gardens. When winter came, you had to clear the sidewalks and driveway of the home--and if you were "lucky" enough to have a gravel driveway, you had a LOT of fun trying to clear it of snow.
This is true. We live in Illinois, and you are right. We don't even water our grass, and it grows like crazy during the summer. Weekend mowing almost isn't enough; my husband will mow twice some weeks. Two or three days after you mow, it looks shaggy and unkempt again.

And the raking ... egads.

I do agree that the type of work may not balance, though. Two hours a day of housework (cooking, cleaning, laundry, getting the kids ready for school) is easily achieved, but 14 hours of yardwork? Probably not. And tinkering around on your hobby car doesn't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships