Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:00 PM

172 posts, read 785,500 times

Advertisements

So, I recently reconnected with a friend from high school. We are both in our early twenties. Kinda had feelings in high school, but I was in a relationship. Fast forward a few years, and we meet for coffee. I thought I was being normal- I'm just a flirt by nature, nothing new. He send me a text later on saying that he felt there was something there--- I said maybe there is?! Problem, however, he has a girlfriend. He loves her, but it questioning whether he's IN LOVE with her. So, we have talked a bit more, texting and stuff, and now things seem a bit awkward. He was too busy to meet up for coffee, which is understandable as he is in college and works a lot. However, now that the feelings are out there, he is avoiding me because he has feelings and is torn between his girlfriend and myself? Or is he just avoiding me? I'm unsure of HOW much to ask him about his reasoning for not being able to meet up, but I don't want to sound like a nag. I love him as a friend, and always want to be friends, however if he was single, I know there could be a good relationship between us.

Sorry this is so long, but any thoughts?! Thank you for taking the time to read this long winded post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 03:05 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Who knows what he is thinking? It sounds to me like he is uncomfortable with his feelings for you and possibly the flirting. He is in a relationship. I don't put a lot of stock in the "friends" thing when one person admits to having feelings. Bad idea. He's distancing himself from you.

If he breaks up with his girlfriend and wants to see you again, great. If not, leave him alone.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas2010 View Post
So, I recently reconnected with a friend from high school. We are both in our early twenties. Kinda had feelings in high school, but I was in a relationship. Fast forward a few years, and we meet for coffee. I thought I was being normal- I'm just a flirt by nature, nothing new. He send me a text later on saying that he felt there was something there--- I said maybe there is?! Problem, however, he has a girlfriend. He loves her, but it questioning whether he's IN LOVE with her. So, we have talked a bit more, texting and stuff, and now things seem a bit awkward. He was too busy to meet up for coffee, which is understandable as he is in college and works a lot. However, now that the feelings are out there, he is avoiding me because he has feelings and is torn between his girlfriend and myself? Or is he just avoiding me? I'm unsure of HOW much to ask him about his reasoning for not being able to meet up, but I don't want to sound like a nag. I love him as a friend, and always want to be friends, however if he was single, I know there could be a good relationship between us.

Sorry this is so long, but any thoughts?! Thank you for taking the time to read this long winded post!
Personally I don't get the distinction between LOVING someone and being IN LOVE with someone when it comes to romantic relationships. Sure there's a difference when it comes to your family, close friends, etc. ... you aren't "in love" with them you "love" them. However in a romantic relationship it seems to me they are interchangeable, yet many people do make this distinction. I guess I am the odd one out ...

Anyway, I think the situation with his avoiding you is that he is involved with another girl and he intends to stay that way and he does not want to cheat on her.

I think your situation of "loving him as a friend" but "knowing there could be a good relationship" is that you are really interested in having a relationship with him and would like it if his girlfriend was out of the picture, not that you are actually only looking to sustain a platonic friendship, or you wouldn't be twisting your brain into a pretzel trying to figure out why he has no time to meet in person.

My advice would be to leave him alone and look for someone else to date.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:09 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
I agree with Julia.

If he's distancing himself he's definitely unsure of his feelings toward you and although you have a past it may not be enough to make him leave his current situation.

Did you know he was involved before you started flirting with him?

Probably rekindled some feelings on his side, but you don't want to be the reason for their split.

Just chock it up as experience, keep him on the backburner (in case if in the future he breaks up with her) and let him know that you know he's involved and won't tread on his relationship and want to remain friends.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:11 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
I would just remain his friend and not worry or wonder why he couldn't meet for coffee. Sometimes we tend to make something out of nothing. Next time you are around him just be your normal self and go light on the flirting. If you don't push him away, he will probably always be your friend.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:49 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
You want a guy that flirts with chicks other than his girl over coffee?

Think about it. What someone else does to another, they will do to you too.

And more importantly:
Do you want the rep as a sleazy boyfriend poaching skank?

Old 04-13-2010, 06:11 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,314 times
He's taken, move on.

Not hard to understand.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:17 AM

172 posts, read 785,500 times
Wow. Had my laptop at school, and someone does this?! How do I go about asking the Moderator to delete this thread?!

It even looks like me--- I always use ?! ?!

Since I am new to city data, could someone let me know how to fix this?

Old 04-14-2010, 06:20 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
Quote:
Wow. Had my laptop at school, and someone does this?! How do I go about asking the Moderator to delete this thread?!

It even looks like me--- I always use ?! ?!

Since I am new to city data, could someone let me know how to fix this?
Too late! Once in the CD blackhole there's no getting out! Bahahahahahahah!!

Old 04-14-2010, 06:35 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:

He has a girlfriend. He's just being frisky...that's it. MOVE ON.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships