Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:31 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
See, I don't understand this....logic (I use the word loosely). If you don't see signs of instability or questionable behavior in your friend or girlfriend who might have told you further into your relationship, why would you assume the worst in people whom you don't already know?
It's not really about potential emotional difficulties, Whyte Byrd. It's about seeing her as "damaged goods" on some, even if subconscious, level. It's a manifestation of the Madonna-sex- syndrome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 01:32 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's not really about potential emotional difficulties, Whyte Byrd. It's about seeing her as "damaged goods" on some, even if subconscious, level. It's a manifestation of the Madonna-sex- syndrome.
Right, I added to my post to clarify that's what I was thinking. You're right.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:33 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Quote:
See, I don't understand this....logic (I use the word loosely). If you don't see signs of instability or questionable behavior in your friend or girlfriend who might have told you further into your relationship, why would you assume the worst in people whom you don't already know?
I already know my friends or assuming it was a spouse or long term partner, I already know her. Revealing something that horrific would certainly surprise me and I'd feel a great deal of compassion for them.

I wouldn't assume the worst in someone I just met who shared that with me, but I would be keeping my eyes open for signs of emotional scars. That's only normal. It's unfortunate that some of us are conditioned to think that way, but like I said, it wouldn't prevent me from being that person's friend or getting involved in a relationship. I'd just be more careful early on, that's all.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
It's not really about potential emotional difficulties, Whyte Byrd. It's about seeing her as "damaged goods" on some, even if subconscious, level. It's a manifestation of the Madonna-wh*ore syndrome.
That is definitely not the case for me. For some yes, but I would not look at a rape victim as damaged goods in sexual terms.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Right, I added to my post to clarify that's what I was thinking. You're right.
If I were in such woman's shoes, I'd never mention it.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:39 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Quote:
If I were in such woman's shoes, I'd never mention it.
I agree, but there will come a day....

Old 04-18-2010, 01:40 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
If you date long enough ,and enough women , you will be involved on some level with a woman who has been raped , The statistics are frightening, Two women who I dated in the past were raped and one had and attempted rape by gun point , and it came out pretty early in dating game. And I don't know how many just won't talk about it.
I suspect if a women really knows you can't deal with it, she won't tell you anyway ( on less its already on the "grapevine")

Old 04-18-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I agree, but there will come a day....
I don't quite see how this day would come, but even if it does, then it'll be discussed at that time. I don't consider a relationship a confession booth.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:48 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
I don't quite see how this day would come, but even if it does, then it'll be discussed at that time. I don't consider a relationship a confession booth.
You know what, I agree with this. But I just had a thought that--I don't know--maybe contradicts what I thought I believed; that if you bring it up when you first meet someone, it's clear it's at the forefront of your mind? Nevertheless, should that necessarily be a red flag for someone else? I think some people spend entirely too much time looking for red flags. If they look hard enough, they'll find them.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Just about everyone's been through something traumatizing that could label them 'damaged goods' or cause signs of emotional or mental damage. Should we look at everyone as possible damaged goods?
You have to use discretion and your mileage may vary depending upon the situation.

Let's say you were interviewing babysitters for your children, and during the interview process he/she reveals that they were repeatedly raped and molested as a child. Would you still feel this was the ideal candidate to babysit your children? It doesn't make them a bad person, but you would have to wonder how that affected them and if this is the best person to leave your children with. Now if you knew this person for several years and they proved to be a good friend and never gave you reason to doubt them, you probably would be alright with them as a babysitter.

In life we judge people when we meet them, regardless of what anyone says. We use judgement to determine someone's character, compatility, credibility etc. It's a survival skill. That doesn't mean we "judge" them as a jury or God, but we do judge their decision making abilities, personal choices, and the way they choose to carry themselves to determine if they are compatible as friends or for dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships