Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:57 AM

580 posts, read 1,082,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I still wouldn't have discussed it with you. And my opinion isn't merely academic. But I'm different than many people; I am not a believer of today's society in which dirty laundry is run up the local flag pole.
Hindsight being 20/20, perhaps some people do admit to things like for the attention, if that's what you're getting at. But I also wouldn't say that that's the norm, especially with something as traumatizing as this. A lot of people just need to talk about it.
Now I will say that I completely agree with you about everyone always wanting to know the dirty little secrets about this or that. According to the entertainment media, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 01:36 AM

71 posts, read 96,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug11768 View Post
If you found out that the woman you are dating was gang raped when she was younger, would it change your feelings towards her. I know a lot of guys say it doesn't matter but deep down, I think it does matter to most men.
Yes, it would bother me. I've been in two relationships with women who were sexually abused early in their lives and they both had issues. Looking back, too much work to get involved with that sort of thing again.

Last edited by RW 41; 04-18-2010 at 01:57 AM..

Old 04-18-2010, 01:54 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
If you found out that the woman you are dating was gang raped when she was younger, would it change your feelings towards her. I know a lot of guys say it doesn't matter but deep down, I think it does matter to most men.
Absolutely not.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:39 PM

437 posts, read 675,309 times
Quote:
Wow.... definitely a post I NEVER thought I'd see ANYWHERE on the internet!!!

I am officially gobsmacked as they say in the British Isles!

Old 04-18-2010, 12:47 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,677,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW 41 View Post
Yes, it would bother me. I've been in two relationships with women who were sexually abused early in their lives and they both had issues. Looking back, too much work to get involved with that sort of thing again.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:48 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,012,452 times
Quote:
I would never share that information with a date. Never. We'd have to be in a very serious relationship to discuss that.

Quote:
I still wouldn't have discussed it with you. And my opinion isn't merely academic. But I'm different than many people; I am not a believer of today's society in which dirty laundry is run up the local flag pole.
Agreed on both counts. Although, I wouldn't consider being a rape victim dirty laundry, I do know what you're saying.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:58 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times
No, it wouldn't make me pull away from her. Both my wife and my late wife were molested as children, and both became beautiful, loving adults. They had issues and suffered from it, but I think dealing with it made them stronger women.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:21 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
All depends on what stage of the relationship she revealed this to me. If we're already close then it wouldn't change anything. In the early stages of getting to know her I'd probably tread lightly and look for signs of emotional or mental damage. It's just human nature. Same as if I was making friends with a guy. If I have a life long friend who tells me he was molested as a kid or raped in prison he's still my friend just the same. If I just met a guy who I'm getting to know as a friend and he tells me he was gang raped in prison I have to think that it affected him in some way and I'd be looking for signs of instability or questionable behavior. Not proud of that answer but a person doesn't go through something like that without being affected in a dramatic and significant way. Not saying we wouldn't be friends or that I wouldn't date a woman who had been gang raped, but I'd be a bit more observant early on.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:24 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The question sort of sounds like a woman is damaged goods if she suffered the misfortune to have been raped which also seems to penalize her for a crime in which she was the victim. I'm not quite sure what the OP is really getting at. As far as I'm concerned it wouldn't be an issue for me at all and I would be interested in the qualities that might make us compatible as a couple as opposed to any crimes that had been committed against her in the past.
Like many often do, MG, you also talk about how things SHOULD be. However, that's not how they ARE! I have read some personal stories on this subject and yes, the victim was penalized one more time for her misfortune! In a way it's similar to the cases of couples losing a child or having a severely handicapped child. In theory the misfortune should bring the together; in practice a good 80% of them split (the number is from a recent article I read, not out of thin air).

Old 04-18-2010, 01:25 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,012,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
All depends on what stage of the relationship she revealed this to me. If we're already close then it wouldn't change anything. In the early stages of getting to know her I'd probably tread lightly and look for signs of emotional or mental damage. It's just human nature. Same as if I was making friends with a guy. If I have a life long friend who tells me he was molested as a kid or raped in prison he's still my friend just the same. If I just met a guy who I'm getting to know as a friend and he tells me he was gang raped in prison I have to think that it affected him in some way and I'd be looking for signs of instability or questionable behavior. Not proud of that answer but a person doesn't go through something like that without being affected in a dramatic and significant way.

See, I don't understand this....logic (I use the word loosely). If you don't see signs of instability or questionable behavior in your friend or girlfriend who might have told you further into your relationship, why would you assume the worst in people whom you don't already know?

Just about everyone's been through something traumatizing that could label them 'damaged goods' or cause signs of emotional or mental damage. Should we look at everyone as possible damaged goods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships