Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:56 AM

201 posts, read 648,430 times

Advertisements

I'm a male, 26 years old and was out last night with some friends at a bar. An obviously drunk woman stumbled around the bar with some guy on her arm and was going up to everyone, making rude comments and talking about their clothes and the way they look. The woman was being beyond loud and was slurring like she had way to many. Obviously this was your typical bar sleaze who couldnt control her intake. Before she got to me and my friends I said, "Here comes trouble." And I was right! I was wearing a college sweatshirt and she came up and said I was cute then made fun of the name of the college. When i smiled and didnt respond she told me to relax and that i needed to chill out, but i didnt even say anything! (Women get mad when they are ignored). I turned my head to watch a basketball game and she grabbed my genitals!!! She walked away and I stood there pretty socked.

I've got to say the whole double standard is something that's pretty annoying. If i did that to her my brains wouldve been all over the bar floor and I'm sure many guys wouldve joined the fight in pounding me! However, when a woman does it to a man we are suppossed to get a rise out of it and enjoy it. It made me angry that people feel they can do whatever they want and my friends did not understand why i was mad. I didnt enjoy it and she was hideous looking and was a sloppy mess. I know that many women do get grabbed all the time and it isnt cool, but if you dont want to be grabbed then dont grab me! I've been raised that you dont go around grabbing people's pants.

What do you think? Any men or women experience a double standard like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 10:11 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,179,531 times
Go to 'Search this Forum' and click on it. Type in 'Double Standards.' Lot's of threads on the subject. Here's just one: //www.city-data.com/forum/relat...tionships.html

Old 04-18-2010, 10:14 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelBrock77 View Post
I'm a male, 26 years old and was out last night with some friends at a bar. An obviously drunk woman stumbled around the bar with some guy on her arm and was going up to everyone, making rude comments and talking about their clothes and the way they look. The woman was being beyond loud and was slurring like she had way to many. Obviously this was your typical bar sleaze who couldnt control her intake. Before she got to me and my friends I said, "Here comes trouble." And I was right! I was wearing a college sweatshirt and she came up and said I was cute then made fun of the name of the college. When i smiled and didnt respond she told me to relax and that i needed to chill out, but i didnt even say anything! (Women get mad when they are ignored). I turned my head to watch a basketball game and she grabbed my genitals!!! She walked away and I stood there pretty socked.

I've got to say the whole double standard is something that's pretty annoying. If i did that to her my brains wouldve been all over the bar floor and I'm sure many guys wouldve joined the fight in pounding me! However, when a woman does it to a man we are suppossed to get a rise out of it and enjoy it. It made me angry that people feel they can do whatever they want and my friends did not understand why i was mad. I didnt enjoy it and she was hideous looking and was a sloppy mess. I know that many women do get grabbed all the time and it isnt cool, but if you dont want to be grabbed then dont grab me! I've been raised that you dont go around grabbing people's pants.

It's up to each and every one of us to put a stop to it. Call the cops, report her, and press charges. It's that simple.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:20 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,776,075 times
It will continue to be a double standard if you allow it. Had you called the police and insisted on pressing charges, she would have been cuffed and booked. Most guys will not care though. They shrug it off because (a) it's not as common (b) they don't want to look like f@gs for complaining that a woman groped them or (c) they don't mind or perhaps even enjoy it. In life there will always be double standards, but that doesn't mean you have to accept it, you do have a choice to take a stand, but you didn't.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:39 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times
Or you could just announce loudly that you won't have sex with her and her boyfriend.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:14 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,137,651 times
Call the cops and report sexual assault

Old 04-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,001,245 times
I could no more use the example of someone in a drunken stuper for this than I could someone who is no fun because they're in a coma.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:20 PM

483 posts, read 555,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelBrock77 View Post

That's true with almost anything these days. They get preferential treatment in every situation. They cry about being underpaid, the workforce is now 55% women. They whine about being disadvantaged in education, more females graduate from college than men.

If you're young, it's best to take a stand against all of this and make it known how you feel at every opportunity. I might have punched her in the face, seriiously. As Martin Lawrence once said " I'd NEVER hit a woman; but I'll slap the he## out of a b####" . I think you were dealing with the latter in this case.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:10 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
It's up to each and every one of us to put a stop to it. Call the cops, report her, and press charges. It's that simple.
Exactly.

Women DID have to put up with nonsense like that from men until, slowly but surely, they spoke up (enduring abuse as they did so) and changed things. If you don't do something about it, then you're enabling it.

I was in Scotland several years back and, at our hotel bar, an extremely drunk woman (who was also a guest at the hotel) was bopping around insulting people, inserting herself into conversations and generally making a pest of herself. Someone reported it and the manager of the hotel came out, apologized to everyone, and informed the woman that she and her husband needed to pack up their suitcases and get off the premises.

I think the husband had been up in their room and didn't know what was going on. He was extremely apologetic and begged the manager to let them stay because, with the lateness of the hour, it would have been nearly impossible to find other accommodations. I was walking back to my room and overheard this. The woman had gotten in my face, too, but I sympathized with the husband's plight so I told the manager that maybe the husband just needed to take her back to their room and make sure she slept it off. The manager relented but said he wanted to make sure that a person like this wouldn't jeopardize and offend the other guests.

We saw the couple at breakfast the next morning in the dining room and they looked sheepish. The woman apologized to me and everyone else. LOL, I'll bet she doesn't do that again! Her behavior almost got them kicked to the street at 2 a.m.!

Old 04-18-2010, 05:49 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
if you hang out in bars, then you are going to be approached by drunks who act stupid and grab your genitals, regardless of your gender

if it bothers you, then don't hang out in bars

if you want high standards of behavior, then try hanging out somewhere other than a bar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships