Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:50 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Yep. Online.

If I had known it was a woman, I would not have done it, but I had no indication. In fact, the person in question used a MALE name for a username...so I assumed the person was male.

The point is--if they claim to be equal, then they should be able to both dish it out AND take verbal-only aggression.
All man, you can't be getting mad like that online.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:51 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with someone cussing ME out--whether it is a male or female doing it. I shrug it off, generally. I don't run to a moderator and ask to get that person banned. I don't get my other online friends to jump down the person's throat. I can take it like a man.
Plenty of men DO report comments of a personal nature. No one has to take insults. If you shrug it off, that's your personal business. A woman shouldn't have to absorb abuse in order to prove that she is "as good as the boys", especially since most of the boys would report her under these circumstances.

Quote:
The point is--if they claim to be equal, then they should be able to both dish it out AND take verbal-only aggression.
When we "dish it out", as you say, certain men on this forum immediately call us "shrill", "bitter", and otherwise imply that our lady parts must be neglected. When we "dish it out" like men, we, unlike men, find ourselves accused of being "emotional", "illogical", and "typically female". Despite the fact that "cussing" as you boys do is, of course, as emotional as it gets. The main reason women aren't equal to men is because certain men refuse to treat us as equals, and instead reduce us to our genitalia.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:53 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with someone cussing ME out--whether it is a male or female doing it. I shrug it off, generally. I don't run to a moderator and ask to get that person banned. I don't get my other online friends to jump down the person's throat. I can take it like a man.
Well, if it's against the terms of service, there's not much you can complain about. It's like getting a ticket for speeding and complaining about it: well, don't speed.

"Taking it like a man" can mean a lot of things. If you cuss a man out to his face, you might get punched, whereas a woman is less likely to do that. Redisca's right. If you cuss someone out, you're asking for whatever you get.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:09 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Oh boy, got in trouble the other day and had a lot of people jump down my thoat because I cussed someone out.

If I had KNOWN it was a woman, I wouldn't have done it--because *I* do not think that men and women are "equal", but if they ARE "equal" then why would it be wrong to cuss a woman out when I'd have no problems doing it to a man?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Women are "equal" until they want special treatment.

Because I think the situation is one where people TALK about equality but when the rubber meets the road nothing has really changed.

Regardless, it's very disrespectful as a man to attack a woman in any way shape or form as if she were a man; even if she can handle herself. If I had a issue that serious with a woman I would ask a close female friend to handle the situation for me.

Quote:
It is obvious that there are differences in the physical abilities of men and women. Pound for pound, men are stronger--so physical altercations are out of the question, but women claim that mentally and emotionally, they're just as strong as men, so why should there be a problem?

Tkramer, trust me, there are women who could kick a lot of average guys arses somewhere on planet earth. Whether they be petite Japanese women who have studied martial arts for years to the big Samoan women in Hawaii. Da%, I did not even get to the LA gang girls (cholas, bloodettes)! Those girls are something SERIOUS! Ha, if they can't kick your arse those girls will pull out the 12 gauge quicker then Clint Eastwood. Women have better aim then men too!

Also, there are women today that are pound for pound much stronger then men. You got women lifters a West Side Barbell club in Ohio that can bench and squat MUCH more then the average man. And the womans 100 meter dash record (10.4) set in the late 1980's by Florence Griffith Joyner is a time that only about 10-15% (my rough guess) of the males that are on earth could surpass.

We miss you flo jo!! RIP

YouTube - florence griffith joyner

Last edited by Morphous01; 04-30-2010 at 03:18 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 03:13 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
When we "dish it out", as you say, certain men on this forum immediately call us "shrill", "bitter", and otherwise imply that our lady parts must be neglected. When we "dish it out" like men, we, unlike men, find ourselves accused of being "emotional", "illogical", and "typically female". Despite the fact that "cussing" as you boys do is, of course, as emotional as it gets. The main reason women aren't equal to men is because certain men refuse to treat us as equals, and instead reduce us to our genitalia.
Excellent points Redisca.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Plenty of men DO report comments of a personal nature. No one has to take insults. If you shrug it off, that's your personal business. A woman shouldn't have to absorb abuse in order to prove that she is "as good as the boys", especially since most of the boys would report her under these circumstances.

When we dish it out--against women, that is--we're labeled as misogynists. EDIT *Please note that I have not intentionally committed verbal abuse against any woman. Calling her "bitter" or "misanthropic" is not verbal abuse.* When it may be only against very specific women we've come into contact with, and not generalized over a broad spectrum of women. I never referred to a man's sexuality when cussing him out--I generally use the term that refers to an excretory system for solid waste, or drop the F-bomb on him.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:17 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Well, if it's against the terms of service, there's not much you can complain about. It's like getting a ticket for speeding and complaining about it: well, don't speed.

"Taking it like a man" can mean a lot of things. If you cuss a man out to his face, you might get punched, whereas a woman is less likely to do that. Redisca's right. If you cuss someone out, you're asking for whatever you get.
Redisca's only wrong in the assumption that men would report verbal abuse.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:17 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
Quote:
What a way to totally pervert the question of equality. When we say we want equality, it is, first and foremost, equality in the eyes of law and freedom from stereotypes.

"Cussing" someone out is ALWAYS a problem, regardless of gender.

Physical and mental abilities vary among individuals. Of course, it's only the least competent who want credit for Einstein's contributions to science based solely on the fact that they too have penises.
But when a woman is a jerk to a man, and the man responds by being a jerk back to her, and then she says, "oh you shouldn't talk like that to a lady!".... ?

Old 04-30-2010, 03:30 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
TKramer wrote:
Quote:
*I* do not think that men and women are "equal"
Sometimes I see some sense in the things that you post but then you say something like this which leaves me confused. I don't think you expressed your point of view clearly enough so that the rest of us know what you're talking about. The statement that I quoted would be a good place to start. It's true that men and women have different physical and mental traits, men are stronger in general (but not always) and women generally have better verbal skills for some reason so if you're talking about those sorts of things men are better at some things and women are better at others but when you use the word "equal" it seems to suggest that you might believe that men are in general superior to women. I hope you don't believe such a thing because first of all you'd be dead wrong and secondly it would make you look stupid which I don't think you are. Would you care to elaborate? Thanks.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:37 PM

805 posts, read 1,510,165 times
Women want all the benefits of equal rights and none of the drawbacks.

Double standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships