Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 06:00 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,683,057 times

Advertisements

Julia - If you don't mind sharing, I would be interested in hearing more about how you pulled through the hard times. Did one of you extend an olive branch to the other? If so, who? Did one of you make compromises in order to get the relationship back on track?

When there are disagreements, one partner needs to step forward and make an effort to restore harmony. One spouse usually wants to mend things sooner than the other.

Last edited by boodhabunny; 05-28-2010 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 06:34 AM

121 posts, read 192,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
Julia - If you don't mind sharing, I would be interested in hearing more about how you pulled through the hard times. Did one of you extend an olive branch to the other? If so, who? Did one of you make compromises in order to get the relationship back on track?

When there are disagreements, one partner needs to step forward and make an effort to restore harmony. One spouse usually wants to mend things sooner than the other.
And that is usually the man.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:36 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,306,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulder999 View Post
Fox, are you in touch with your mom? (I believe you said she left, IIRC)

Last edited by robee70; 05-28-2010 at 06:45 AM..

Old 05-28-2010, 06:43 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,557,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulder999 View Post
Gawd all you do is project, project, project. Just because that is/was the case w/ one incident in your life does not mean it's the norm.

You are RUINING your chance of ever having a healthy relationship w/ all these little views you have. Get yourself some professional help.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:44 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,306,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Gawd all you do is project, project, project. Just because that is/was the case w/ one incident in your life does not mean it's the norm.

You are RUINING your chance of ever having a healthy relationship w/ all these little views you have. Get yourself some professional help.
I agree. At first it was funny, then annoying. Now it's simply tragic.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:49 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
My husband went through a period of depression that stemmed from our being broke all the time. He bases a lot of his self-worth on his ability to provide for his family; that's a big part of how he identifies as a husband, father, and man. He became angry and withdrawn. I grew tired of not being able to help him and feeling rejected, and I became angry too. We were angry all the time. I considered divorce many times, but we were broke and I didn't know how the kids and I would manage. I thought about moving home to my parents'. The thing that always stopped me, though, was when I remembered my vows. I am not preaching Christianity here, but I took my oath very seriously. We also had the famous 1 Corinthians 13 passage framed on the wall, and I'd read it from time to time.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
I told myself that if I really had done all I could, then I would be free with a clear conscience, but if I was just giving up, then I could not. So I stayed. I do not want to come off as a martyr or tell people that they should live in misery, because this is a choice you have to make for yourself. I loved him and chose to stay.

We moved, he got a better job, and finances started getting better, but things between us were not good. I went to bed angry and I woke up angry. I was not kind to him, and he was a difficult person to be kind to. He was addicted to video games and shut himself off from the children and me, but I would not want to be with me either, not the person I was then.

Finally, we hit the big crisis and I cracked. I told him I was leaving. I had said so before, which I am ashamed to say, but this time I meant it. He didn't believe me at first, but I went looking at nearby apartments and started figuring out a budget. The apartment complexes started calling me back, and he woke up. I thought it was over, but he asked me to go for a drive and talk. We talked for a few hours and he asked for another chance. I gave it to him, and we agreed to start over, rather than rehashing and reliving the same fight we had been fighting for far too long. We called a truce and closed the door on that ugly phase. Things have been getting better ever since.

So we both made it work. My sticking around didn't fix our marriage by itself, and I would be divorced now if he didn't ask me to stay.

Quote:
I agree. But it can't be one person making all the effort. I hear people grumbling that their partner never apologizes or compromises. You can't live like that. Resentment will destroy your marriage.

One thing I try to always remember is, "What is my goal here?" Do I want to be right or win the discussion, or do I want peace in my house? Sometimes I do want to be right because it's something important that I believe in, but sometimes it's not that big a deal. I choose my battles, and so does my husband. I am not the only one who compromises; he does too.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:02 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,659 times
I think this thread has degenerated into a lot of silliness (with some pots obviously being an occasional exception). Love cannot be quantified. This may be frustrating to a teenager, as well as an occasional puerile adult, but there is simply no way to determine if one spouse's love amounts to, let's say 70% of the other spouse's love. It just doesn't work that way. People express their love differently, and some ways may seem more agreeable than others, but you still can't put percentage points on it.

Of course it's better to love less than your SO loves you. As my favorite novelist, W.M. Thackeray wrote, "tell very little, or better yet, feel very little". After all, one of the ways to define love is liking someone enough to act against one's better judgment. If you are not in love, you can think straight, and you are not vulnerable. If the relationship ends, you will get hurt less. But none of this means that people don't fall in love, that they don't grow into love, or that love has anything to do with altruism.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:46 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,551,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I still can't fathom wanting my husband to love me more than I love him. Maybe my brain just doesn't work that way, or maybe I am looking at it wrong. I love him more than anything or anyone and think I can honestly say that I love him 100%.
Even with that, it is possible for him to love you more. 100% will vary from person to person. It's great that you two have such a great realationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I think this thread has degenerated into a lot of silliness (with some pots obviously being an occasional exception). Love cannot be quantified. This may be frustrating to a teenager, as well as an occasional puerile adult, but there is simply no way to determine if one spouse's love amounts to, let's say 70% of the other spouse's love. It just doesn't work that way. People express their love differently, and some ways may seem more agreeable than others, but you still can't put percentage points on it.

Of course it's better to love less than your SO loves you. As my favorite novelist, W.M. Thackeray wrote, "tell very little, or better yet, feel very little". After all, one of the ways to define love is liking someone enough to act against one's better judgment. If you are not in love, you can think straight, and you are not vulnerable. If the relationship ends, you will get hurt less. But none of this means that people don't fall in love, that they don't grow into love, or that love has anything to do with altruism.
Well said, as usual.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:56 AM

121 posts, read 192,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Even with that, it is possible for him to love you more. 100% will vary from person to person. It's great that you two have such a great realationship.
Why do you think it's so important that the man should love more? Isn't it good enough that both persons love each other equally much?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:57 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,659 times
*Sigh*

All I can say is, this is what happens when people wait until the kids are "old enough to cope".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships