Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 03:48 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,423,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Scenario: Two single people meet sometime in their 30's. Both work. Decide they want to marry--but retain their jobs. I would assume they live in the same household, but that may not be the case.

At this point, they're really nothing more than room mates that split the cost of rent and other expenses that happen to have sex with the legal recognition of the state. In other words, if two people get married, the lower wage earner should quit their job and take care of THEIR home. Male, female, whichever it happens to be.

I don't agree that it can't be done with ONE income. The kids may not have an Xbox or Wii...and might have to play with tin cans (actually, they're steel) and sticks, but it can be done.
Why do you feel this is necessary? What's the downside to both partners finding gainful employment outside the home?

Or are you just saying this is your definition of marriage? If you've never been a stay-at-home spouse, perhaps you can't imagine what it might really be like. Do you honestly think it would suit you, personally, if your spouse made enough money to support the family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 04:04 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,686,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
Why do you feel this is necessary? What's the downside to both partners finding gainful employment outside the home?

Or are you just saying this is your definition of marriage? If you've never been a stay-at-home spouse, perhaps you can't imagine what it might really be like. Do you honestly think it would suit you, personally, if your spouse made enough money to support the family?
The home suffers. I'm a product of divorced parents, and it was just impossible for her to both take care of her work obligations and her family and home obligations.

As far as would I be willing to do so? I seriously doubt it. I believe in traditional roles, on a personal level. But this isn't about me. But hypothetically, if I wasn't so tied into being the sole financial provider, then yes, I guess I would be the one staying home, doing the shopping and cooking. I'd just hope she's got a cast iron stomach, like I do. Because much of the food I cook isn't really fit for human consumption (and I've been told that).

Old 06-02-2010, 04:17 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,208,786 times
Quote:
Then they are obviously living beyond their means. That's a big problem for some people.
I agree with that. They should have never purchased their home. I feel it's a big mistake to own a mortgage that is dependent on two earners. OTOH, unless a person is earning a significant salary, it's not a good idea for only one to be working long term and living month to month.

Quote:
I don't agree that it can't be done with ONE income. The kids may not have an Xbox or Wii...and might have to play with tin cans (actually, they're steel) and sticks, but it can be done.
Do you factor in savings and retirement?

Old 06-02-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I agree with that. They should have never purchased their home. I feel it's a big mistake to own a mortgage that is dependent on two earners. OTOH, unless a person is earning a significant salary, it's not a good idea for only one to be working long term and living month to month.

Do you factor in savings and retirement?
Why retire? And yes, it was probably unwise to intentionally take on debt in the form of a mortgage, which is a loan of sorts. Neither a borrower or lender be.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Why retire?
Providing you live a healthy lifestyle, you might just live past the days where you're capable of lifting heavy boxes (or doing whatever it is you do). My grandma, for example, is capable of living (has her home, cooks, etc), but she's not able to work at 92. It happens.

Then there's always the possibility that something happens that renders you unable to work. Not everyone can live on the public dole when crisis arises. Some people have to plan ahead.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Providing you live a healthy lifestyle, you might just live past the days where you're capable of lifting heavy boxes (or doing whatever it is you do). My grandma, for example, is capable of living (has her home, cooks, etc), but she's not able to work at 92. It happens.

Then there's always the possibility that something happens that renders you unable to work. Not everyone can live on the public dole when crisis arises. Some people have to plan ahead.

And when I can no longer work, it will be time to do the honorable thing. Retirement by Smith and Wesson.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:20 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,131,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Yes, I did make assumptions from what you had posted. I think I am right based on your response. I stand by my post on pity for your husband. And if you do not like be categorized in that fashion than do not be a materialistic/ me first person. Heck, buy your husband the Porsche (If he really wants one) when you are doing great financially. What is the purpose of being married if you do not want to make the other happy?

Thank deity I do not have to put up with the likes of you miyu or skeet09. You give women a bad name.
I am no way materialistic but I definitely think of myself before anyone else. We as women always think of others that we neglect to take care of ourselves. How can we take care of others when we're so ragged running around trying to make others happy? I like to make my husband happy just as much as any other wife but that doesn't mean I'm going to buy him his dream $30k Nissan Murano just because he wants it. Can we afford it? Sure but we'll be eating ramen for a few years. Is eating ramen healthy? Not really.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
And when I can no longer work, it will be time to do the honorable thing. Retirement by Smith and Wesson.
I'd be surprised if most people are interested in suicide. Planning for the future is probably a more reasonable approach.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:35 PM

LOL I just read this conversation to my husband and he said (again) "don't talk to these people on the internet! now you're gonna have yourself a g*d damn suicide on your hands". He's not versed with internet hyperbole.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:48 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,315,494 times
Quote:
I'd be surprised if most people are interested in suicide. Planning for the future is probably a more reasonable approach.
I would actually be interested in suicide if my future was in shambles and I could no longer work nor pay for my own existence. But then again I'm not most people.

It is actually quite noble. Better than wasting other people's tax money for a futile existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships