Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 08:43 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times

Advertisements

Exactly Braunwyn.

How do men define femininity really?

The dictionary doesn't help much in its definition;

1.pertaining to a woman or girl: feminine beauty; feminine dress.

2.having qualities traditionally ascribed to women, as sensitivity or gentleness.

3.effeminate; womanish: a man with a feminine walk.

4.belonging to the female sex; female: feminine staff members.

Essentially all you have to be is a woman to be feminine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 08:47 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post

Essentially all you have to be is a woman to be feminine.
Thank you.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
when the men don't view you as feminine they will call you all kinds of names, 'butch,' 'pig' or whatever. simply having a vagina, doesn't qualify you as being seen as feminine by men.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:06 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I suppose, in a way, it's the same for both genders. The media portrays an image of women that does not exist naturally. Heck, often airbrushed images. With that said, I think as people mature they develop the intelligence to understand the differences between media sale and reality.

Where your ideas are a bit in the fiction realm is that women, mostly, are only dating muscle heads and the tattoo assertions. Since a majority of men in the US are not muscle heads, yet millions of men are in relationships, that's snuffed. Regarding tattoos, it's your opinion that it's unattractive. Humans have been painting our bodies for thousands of years. The practice spans several peoples and cultures. Henna is a great example. You can read about it here.
Before 1985 or so virtually no men were muscle heads except for a very small (mostly gay) subculture. While it may not be the norm today it's certainly a large minority among young men. I did read that more young men and teen boys are using steroids than ever before, not just for athletics but just to look huge. Steroid muscularity is more than anything symbolic of male dominance..so based on this alone it's fair to say that our culture is shifting towards male dominance/female submission.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:15 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
My point was the gross generalisations made about who is a feminine woman and who is butch and who is a feminist and yada yada. Men need to accept women as they are, either like us for whatever reason or don't like us, but stop pigeon holing all of us into the same box.
Oh, absolutely! I get sick of being compared to a female friend of mine who is ridiculously hyper feminine..I don't even thing she owns a pair of pants. All women are different, some are going to be ultra super feminine and some aren't, there is definitely a scale and all types of women and we're all needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I do agree with what you say about education. A lot of this does in fact have to do with social class. As a general rule less educated women are more attracted to and get in relationships with more crude domineering men. That's why I guess some find it hard to believe what I am saying, they run around different social circles. I would argue among the lower classes male dominance is the norm and yes the women (as a whole) are more masculine as well.
I run around in a few social circles, and I've absolutely seen this. I generally don't go for the hyper masculine 'tough guys' and find them to be kind of annoying. But I know plenty of women who adore and pursue them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
when the men don't view you as feminine they will call you all kinds of names, 'butch,' 'pig' or whatever. simply having a vagina, doesn't qualify you as being seen as feminine by men.
That much is true, but I've noticed that the men who do call women names and essentially 'punish' them for not being feminine enough are overcompensating because they feel a female is challenging them to their masculinity. I've run into this here and there being in the automotive business...I've learned that you NEVER EVER correct a man when he says something wrong regarding a car. Most of them will forever dislike you and go out of their way to make you feel bad because they're just pissed off that they were one upped by a woman.

I've been called every name in the book as a female mechanic and most of the time I just let it go, it's not worth getting worked up over because that's what they want. They want you to break down and cry so they can just prove to everyone what a 'girl' you are.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:25 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
My girlfriend has been watching the Jersey Shore marathon (I don't know why a 40 year old would be interested) and it has influenced my thoughts. the guys on that show are extremely dominant looking with their huge bulging muscles and tattoos. We simply did not have men who looked like that when I was young, now they are the norm. It's not fiction, men look more dominant today than at anytime since the caveman days.

One of the girls on the show, I believe her name is Snooki literally said "He's the kind of guy I like, he has muscles, I'm going to take him home". As Snooki proves muscularity (symbolic for male dominance) means more to todays women than any other quailty.

You might say it's just a stupid TV show and has no reflection on reality. I don't think so, there are millions of young adults who look, act, and think exactly as the Jersey Shore cast. Also the show feeds on itself, millions of people watch it and they are influenced by what they see.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:50 PM

366 posts, read 775,061 times
Default I know this is an old thread, but if any woman is under...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
1. You must be a strong woman with a clear concept of what you want out of life.

2. Trusting and obeying your man should be a sign of pride.

3. He must be everything to you, and you to him; you should make him happy, his happiness is yours; he is defined intimately and emotionally by you.

4. Your mind is his to explore and expand as only as he can.

5. You keep NO secrets from him.

6. You only feel and experience while he spends his time, gifts and energy freely on you.

Are you a submissive woman?
...the impression most guys want submissive women, think again. Give me a feminine, sexy, hard as nails chick any day over a fawning, take crap submissive.

Nikita Fanvid: 'She Walks Softly, But She Carries A Big Gun.' - YouTube

Old 03-10-2012, 09:53 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Oh, absolutely! I get sick of being compared to a female friend of mine who is ridiculously hyper feminine..I don't even thing she owns a pair of pants. All women are different, some are going to be ultra super feminine and some aren't, there is definitely a scale and all types of women and we're all needed

I run around in a few social circles, and I've absolutely seen this. I generally don't go for the hyper masculine 'tough guys' and find them to be kind of annoying. But I know plenty of women who adore and pursue them.

That much is true, but I've noticed that the men who do call women names and essentially 'punish' them for not being feminine enough are overcompensating because they feel a female is challenging them to their masculinity. I've run into this here and there being in the automotive business...I've learned that you NEVER EVER correct a man when he says something wrong regarding a car. Most of them will forever dislike you and go out of their way to make you feel bad because they're just pissed off that they were one upped by a woman.

I've been called every name in the book as a female mechanic and most of the time I just let it go, it's not worth getting worked up over because that's what they want. They want you to break down and cry so they can just prove to everyone what a 'girl' you are.

Usually they don't want to be corrected about anything. You're right and I've also experienced that when you make the 'mistake' of correcting them they go all in on you with the name calling or whatever else. I think it's an egotistical issue that they have.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Before 1985 or so virtually no men were muscle heads except for a very small (mostly gay) subculture. While it may not be the norm today it's certainly a large minority among young men. I did read that more young men and teen boys are using steroids than ever before, not just for athletics but just to look huge. Steroid muscularity is more than anything symbolic of male dominance..so based on this alone it's fair to say that our culture is shifting towards male dominance/female submission.
But, you wouldn't base anything on that alone because it wouldn't make sense to do so and you're wrong that our culture is shifting to md/fs. You're contradicting yourself at this point. Do you not recall just saying that women were less fem or more masculine?

Old 03-10-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
My girlfriend has been watching the Jersey Shore marathon (I don't know why a 40 year old would be interested) and it has influenced my thoughts. the guys on that show are extremely dominant looking with their huge bulging muscles and tattoos. We simply did not have men who looked like that when I was young, now they are the norm. It's not fiction, men look more dominant today than at anytime since the caveman days.

One of the girls on the show, I believe her name is Snooki literally said "He's the kind of guy I like, he has muscles, I'm going to take him home". As Snooki proves muscularity (symbolic for male dominance) means more to todays women than any other quailty.

You might say it's just a stupid TV show and has no reflection on reality. I don't think so, there are millions of young adults who look, act, and think exactly as the Jersey Shore cast. Also the show feeds on itself, millions of people watch it and they are influenced by what they see.
Here we go with the tube again. Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships