Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 12:58 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually most scientists do not see the hand of god anywhere...Among members of the National Academy of Sciences (considered to be the world's leading scientists) 72.2% expressed disbelief and another 20% were agnostic.
And many more scientists are saying the more they discover the more convinced they are it all has an intelligent design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 01:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That is not true. Many have questioned religion---it has been questioned longer then any discipline of science. You insult those who are religious if you think they do not question.
Some do, but they seem to be the silent (majority/minority ) as the more vocal clearly don't.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
No, not really. I still have my spiritual life; it's just not Christian. I follow the ways of my Comanche people.
Who follow the ways of God.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Some do, but they seem to be the silent (majority/minority) as the more vocal clearly don't.
Believe me---MOST DO. We aren't stupid. People question all the time. Faith does allow one to question. You have it backward.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:02 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
I depend on science but I do not make it my God. I make God my God. LOL I worship the Creator not the created.
Your thinking must be influenced by your beliefs and the fact that you worship some god, so you think atheists must also worship something...I worship nothing, but simply examine and decide what is real and what is not...In this area your god fails miserably and science wins every time.

Worship; idolize: love unquestioningly and uncritically or to excess.

The key word in the definition is unquestioningly.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Your thinking must be influenced by your beliefs and the fact that you worship some god, so you think atheists must also worship something...I worship nothing, but simply examine and decide what is real and what is not...In this area your god fails miserably and science wins every time.

Worship; idolize: love unquestioningly and uncritically or to excess.

The key word in the definition is uncritically.
It seems that is how you think about science. You put so much belief in science, it must be your God. Science seems to be your only answer to how things work.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:06 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Quote:
And many more scientists are saying the more they discover the more convinced they are it all has an intelligent design.
This is an outright lie. The vast majority of science(theist and atheist alike) think that ID is nonsensical pseudoscience while evolution by natural selection is the only acceptable scientific theory.

CA111: Scientists reject evolution?

Level of support for evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-28-2010, 01:09 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Quote:
It seems that is how you think about science. You put so much belief in science, it must be your God. Science seems to be your only answer to how things work.
Science isn't a god to atheists. You need to actually research atheism and the beliefs that many atheists hold. Science and reason are seen by many atheists as the most reliable way of discovering the truth. That doesn't make it a god.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Someday every gap will have been proven to be natural causes/processes and believers won't be able to hide behind the veil of faith anymore.
I and millions of other will always have faith. If you want to think of it as hiding that is up to you. You have faith in science. That seems to be comfortable for you. You cannot make the leap into religious faith but many others have. If you want to think of us as backward that is up to you but it may be you are the backward one.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:12 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
This is an outright lie. The vast majority of science(theist and atheist alike) think that ID is nonsensical pseudoscience while evolution by natural selection is the only acceptable scientific theory.
And even among those, they can't agree on evolution and the how and why of it (and why some critters didn't do much evolving at all).

They still haven't figured out why there is such wide-ranging diversity in the same place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality