Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 06:35 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
If I believe the bible is true and the history in the bible can be proven by dates and places but you still dismiss it than I don't know what to do.
Let's assume all the dates and places mentioned in the bible are accurate. How does this prove the supernatural claims made in the bible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144
Faith is a big part of it. I do think it takes more faith to be an atheist though. You believe everything in existence just appeared. It just happened without any explanation. I find that harder to believe than to believe in a loving God who created us.
Again, do you understand the definition of atheism or are you just parroting what your pastor has told you about atheists? We lack belief in god. That is all that you can say about us as a group. Atheism says nothing about how the universe came into existence.

As for me personally, I do not claim to know how the universe was formed. That is still being investigated. But, I have no need to insert god into the information gaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 06:41 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
I have the proof, the bible but you dismiss it.
Yes, absolutely I dismiss it; it contains fables, urban legends, completely outrageous accounts of impossible events (the ark for example), and is polluted throughout by the delusions, agendas, and grudges of every person that penned a single passage in it. Then further polluted during translations, rewrites, updates, etc.

So yes, your proof holds no water.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:49 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
How about them? Just like science one needs faith to believe. And many are searching just like the scientists do. One day they may find the evidence. The bible is a history book, you can trace most things using the dates and places mentioned in the bible.
An evasive answer to a straight forward question, typical approach to defend that which cannot be defended.

No science does not need faith, faith leads one on a fools errand, science needs fact, physical evidence, etc.

Do you believe a man and his sons could build such a craft, and roundup a breeding pair of every single species (we are talking millions of species), house, feed, and keep them from eating each other for at least a year on such a craft, and of course all plant life would also die after a being submerged for a year, so he would need lots of seeds.

Is this feasible?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:21 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Atheism doesn't say everything just appeared without any explanation. It says that we don't currently know how it began.
Ahhh...if you don't know how it began, then it just *could* be something we call God. Atheists would deny that, even while admitting they don't know HOW it began.

You have the right name: Agnostic. That's the ticket. I like you. You don't have a closed mind. Atheists do.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:23 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
Well, one thing is clear: Time travel has evidently been invented.

There are quite a few people who still live in medieval times but somehow have managed to get internet access. Astounding.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Time for another quote or two.

You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe.....Carl Sagan

The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance...logic can be happily tossed out the window............ Stephen King
Sagan and Stephen King? Surely, you jest.

Quote:
Oh yes, Carl Sagan. The true worshiper of science. He believed there are billions and billions of stars out there but was for sure there was no God. He wanted us all to believe the astounding things he believed in but said we were not right to believe in God. The uncharted universe, it's there but we just can't see it. He had faith. His faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Not being able to agree still does not make the christian idea of creation correct by default.
It also does not exclude ID and make evolution correct. Disagreement means there is room for doubt.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:14 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Ahhh...if you don't know how it began, then it just *could* be something we call God. Atheists would deny that, even while admitting they don't know HOW it began.

You have the right name: Agnostic. That's the ticket. I like you. You don't have a closed mind. Atheists do.

How do Atheists have a closed mind? Christians have a closed mind! Because they refuse to see that they may be wrong. See what I did there? Just because someone has a differing opinion on how the universe began doesn't mean they are closed minded.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
How do Atheists have a closed mind? Christians have a closed mind! Because they refuse to see that they may be wrong. See what I did there? Just because someone has a differing opinion on how the universe began doesn't mean they are closed minded.
Closed minded to the possibility that there is a God. They absolutely deny there is. That's a closed mind. Shut tight. Right?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:21 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Sagan and Stephen King? Surely, you jest.
Not at all, both men are free thinkers. I notice you didn't mention Pope Leo's quote.... Here is another you can disagree with.

I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology.....Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
It also does not exclude ID and make evolution correct. Disagreement means there is room for doubt.
What makes evolution correct is the literal mountains of evidence, tests and new discoveries in genetics and biology, whereas there is none at all for ID

Old 06-28-2010, 08:25 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Closed minded to the possibility that there is a God. They absolutely deny there is. That's a closed mind. Shut tight. Right?
Wrong...Atheists do not say there is no possibility of a god, just that it is highly unlikely...I thought you had been here long enough to understand what atheism actually is. Theists on the other hand are closed to the possibility that there is no god. I don't know if there is a god, and neither do you. Show me indisputable evidence of your god and I'll join your team in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality