Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 04:28 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,478,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
You have the negative. "There is no God." You prove there isn't.
That is also incorrect. My sentiments are as such:

"Currently, I see no evidence that a God exists. There is no scientific documentation or evidence of the supernatural. I do not believe a God exists based on the lack of evidence."

Again. It is up to you to provide the burden of proof. You are the one making the absolute statement in this argument in that "God Exists."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 04:52 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,558,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Not being able to prove something untrue does not make something a guaranteed truth. That's basic Logic and Philosophy 101. If you wish to claim something happened or existed, I'm afraid the burden of proof is on you to provide the evidence. Simply saying that you "believe" it happened is really pretty lame evidence, don't you think?

I've already explained to you the necessity of the methodology of deducing logical and formative evidences via the scientific method. I don't see why religious motives require an exception to this. All I'm asking for is a substantive paper not based on speculative notions whereby what you believe is conclusively proven without a shadow of a doubt - like courtroom evidence.

That's really not that much to ask for before people choose to inject dogma into scientific and reality based explanations, is it?
I have the proof, the bible but you dismiss it.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:56 PM

651 posts, read 1,418,723 times
Quote:
You must prove the claims made in the bible to offer it as evidence. Otherwise, you are engaging in circular reasoning.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:59 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,478,940 times
Quote:
This is like watching a dog chase its' tail... Very circular in nature...

Oh, look! A squirrel!

Old 06-28-2010, 05:07 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,957,596 times
Your 'proof' is not proof. Christians like to call the bible proof, but it doesn't qualify. Seriously, you need to look up what qualifies as proof.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:08 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,558,312 times
If I believe the bible is true and the history in the bible can be proven by dates and places but you still dismiss it than I don't know what to do.

Faith is a big part of it. I do think it takes more faith to be an atheist though. You believe everything in existence just appeared. It just happened without any explanation. I find that harder to believe than to believe in a loving God who created us.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:14 PM

33,596 posts, read 37,235,200 times
The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it..........Robert G. Ingersoll

It has served us well, this myth of Christ.......Pope Leo X

Old 06-28-2010, 06:19 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,113,426 times
Quote:
We can't SEE the whole universe and science can't either.
Why would we have to see all of it to understand it? We can, however, see that Sagan was right. There are billions and billions of stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144
We can see some Not until or if they can build a bigger telescope. Now they are saying they may be other universes. Have you ever thought science is still at it's infancy?
Hardly its infancy. But there's still a lot to learn, yep.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:20 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,113,426 times
Quote:
Tell that to Nick. He won't agree with you.
Then it's a good thing that I do not depend on Nick to decide what is or is not true.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:27 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,025,659 times
Quote:
If I believe the bible is true and the history in the bible can be proven by dates and places but you still dismiss it than I don't know what to do.

Faith is a big part of it. I do think it takes more faith to be an atheist though. You believe everything in existence just appeared. It just happened without any explanation. I find that harder to believe than to believe in a loving God who created us.
Atheism doesn't say everything just appeared without any explanation. It says that we don't currently know how it began.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality