Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 02:28 PM

240 posts, read 385,630 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about some events that I had obeserved in the past that made me wonder. Does death linger in a particular place or maybe have a quota?

Back in ninteen eighty two a forty story constrution project on N. Bayshore drive in Miami was in full swing and the structure was two thirds complete. There were police cars and fire department vehicles lined up in front of the project one morning. It had been an argument between two security guards that had esclated into an old fasioned show down between the two drawing their weapons and shooting each other. One died and the other wounded, the one that survived was eventually sent to prison.

Later on when the structure was almost complete an iron worker and a carpenter were in constant friction with each other over the completion of the deck form to have it ready for concrete. Everything was on a hairline schedule and the pressure was immense. The carpenter finally snapped and walked up to the iron worker from behind and swung full force with his framing hammer and caved in the back of the mans head. By the miracle of modern medicine the man survived with the addition of a metal plate to his head. The carpenter tried to leave the job by calmly walking down off the form deck and catching the personnel and material hoist to make his escape, but was caught when he got off at the bottom. He was sentenced to a long term in prison for attempted murder.

Fast forward to nineteen ninty nine. The same building has been open for over ten years. A man is in a lovers quarrel with someone and is locked out of their condo. He knocks on the door of his neighbor and convinces them to let him go out on thier balcony to continue his pleading there. What he ends up doing is removing his shoes and attempting to jump from their balcony to the next. He doesn't make it and falls to his death fourteen stroies below on the underground parking garage ramp. He ended up face down and a small trickle of blood ran down the ramp. It was not more than ten or fifteen feet from where the security guard had fallen those many years before and not more than seventy feet from where the carpenter had been caught.

These events are what gave me the idea that certain places are more prone to deaths occuring violently than others and are what can simply be decribed as jinxed. I'm sure that many would feel that these are random events, but are they? Maybe death has a quota for a certain place and that quota has to be filled. It is said that in the realm of possibilites everything is possible so my thoughts may not be so impossible and maybe even in fact the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 08:52 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
These events are what gave me the idea that certain places are more prone to deaths occuring violently than others and are what can simply be decribed as jinxed.
...Which is the same basic thinking that led someone to propose the so-called "Bermuda Triangle." Coincidence, nothing more.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 AM

Well there your go, Miami is one point of that very same triangle!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:26 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
Yeah I'm just going to call coincidence on this one. Or else entire cities like Newark, NJ and Camden NJ should be jinxed lol.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:38 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
I've been thinking about some events that I had obeserved in the past that made me wonder. Does death linger in a particular place or maybe have a quota?

Back in ninteen eighty two a forty story constrution project on N. Bayshore drive in Miami was in full swing and the structure was two thirds complete. There were police cars and fire department vehicles lined up in front of the project one morning. It had been an argument between two security guards that had esclated into an old fasioned show down between the two drawing their weapons and shooting each other. One died and the other wounded, the one that survived was eventually sent to prison.

Later on when the structure was almost complete an iron worker and a carpenter were in constant friction with each other over the completion of the deck form to have it ready for concrete. Everything was on a hairline schedule and the pressure was immense. The carpenter finally snapped and walked up to the iron worker from behind and swung full force with his framing hammer and caved in the back of the mans head. By the miracle of modern medicine the man survived with the addition of a metal plate to his head. The carpenter tried to leave the job by calmly walking down off the form deck and catching the personnel and material hoist to make his escape, but was caught when he got off at the bottom. He was sentenced to a long term in prison for attempted murder.

Fast forward to nineteen ninty nine. The same building has been open for over ten years. A man is in a lovers quarrel with someone and is locked out of their condo. He knocks on the door of his neighbor and convinces them to let him go out on thier balcony to continue his pleading there. What he ends up doing is removing his shoes and attempting to jump from their balcony to the next. He doesn't make it and falls to his death fourteen stroies below on the underground parking garage ramp. He ended up face down and a small trickle of blood ran down the ramp. It was not more than ten or fifteen feet from where the security guard had fallen those many years before and not more than seventy feet from where the carpenter had been caught.

These events are what gave me the idea that certain places are more prone to deaths occuring violently than others and are what can simply be decribed as jinxed. I'm sure that many would feel that these are random events, but are they? Maybe death has a quota for a certain place and that quota has to be filled. It is said that in the realm of possibilites everything is possible so my thoughts may not be so impossible and maybe even in fact the truth.
When I was a LEO I would go to routine death calls nearly everyday. They weren't usually crazy, tragic things like you hear on the news, just everyday suicides, accidents, murders, illness and just plain old age.

Death is natural, easy to do and is everywhere. Your society just does a good job of hiding it and/or keeping it discrete.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:49 AM

I was talking about a particular location but of course each city could have it's own quota.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
When I was a LEO I would go to routine death calls nearly everyday. They weren't usually crazy, tragic things like you hear on the news, just everyday suicides, accidents, murders, illness and just plain old age.

Death is natural, easy to do and is everywhere. Your society just does a good job of hiding it and/or keeping it discrete.
Sorry I was the one to disclose your methodology, by the way you said "when" you were a LEO, what are you now

Old 07-19-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Sorry I was the one to disclose your methodology, by the way you said "when" you were a LEO, what are you now
NOT an LEO, but a government grunt with an undisclosed profession.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
NOT an LEO, but a government grunt with an undisclosed profession.
Still doesn't answer my question, just the king of nothing?

Old 07-19-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Still doesn't answer my question, just the king of nothing?
Yep. All hail the king...or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality