Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:31 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,593,536 times

Advertisements

The chief end of Man??? To bring glory to God!!! Very simple really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 05:19 PM

28,109 posts, read 30,019,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in world !! View Post

..... I know why I created? but , I want from all , answer on my question ? , why you created ....??

Thank for all >>>
According to Mormonism, "Man is that he might have joy."

Old 08-04-2010, 07:06 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,929,647 times
I am confused though allen. You probably know my position on god. Christians always claim he manages each and every event in this universe, and god knows they give him credit whenever something "wonderful' happens. Like, you know, a cancer-ridden friend goes into remission, or a baby with a rubber band in it's throat didn't just have a good doctor look down there; it was a "miracle" brought on my prayer (thank the godz that that doc did have the common sene and logic to look there, BTW.

so now you're claiming that God didn't bring on the Hiatian disaaster? Or the later one in Chile, Or that massive tsunami two years ago that paled the recent Haitian death toll into the shadows? What, He didn't make the tectonic plates move then either?

And yet, when explaining how the Rockies or the Grand Canyon arose in just a few months (), I've been told, with great dismissive arrogance and distain that my years of geological grad school and field experience mean nothing, and that it was, in fact, done in an instant by God, as he shifted them durned plates around. "POOF"! There! Done and Done!

So which is it? Do we only give god accolades when the general "sitch" is to man's apparent advantage? That it's perhaps Satan who always beats God to the punch whenever something bad happens?

Trouble is, if you look at it all, dispassionately* and unambiguously*, you can only come to the well-supported conclusion that there's literally NO evidence for any supernatural god. Its ALWAYS spiritually oriented humans reading into something, exactly what they want to believe.

Science notwithstanding. We think about some puzzling event or condition, we hypothesize, we present several possible credible and rational alternatives that have been bounced off many scholars in their chosen area of special expertise, and then we go see what the collectible, reproducible evidence and data best supports.

Then, over time, with growing and fully supporting rational supporting evidence, we develop a "theory", which is NOT a wild guess as the Christian literature likes to stupidly assert.

["Evolution is only a THEORY!"]

And if the evidence does NOT support our hypothesis, we readily let it go, and try other hypotheses. We don't feverishly cling to the failed ideas, unlike Christian 'scientists", "biblical adventurers" or "Biblical archeologists" (snort...).

It does seem that "Proof" means entirely different things to science versus religion. Don't you agree?

So please: un-confuse me, allen. If your god didn't "do" Haiti, then... whodunnit when it's bad? God's off the hook, always? How convenient when you're trying to "sell" him, huh?

Well, have a good night folks.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:58 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,557,329 times
Life happens! No creation involved, but over billions of years, with the right environment and raw materials, life happens, then it evolves slowly over hundreds of millions of years.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:43 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,362,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
The human bod, being derived from a four - legged origin was never designed to walk upright which is why we are plagued with back problems.
Or maybe the human form evolved on a planet with MUCH less gravity than Earth; thus the back problems.

Anyways, I was created to be "here".

Old 08-05-2010, 03:39 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,778,812 times
Yes, Charlotte. . I know. Well---it's on topic, sorta so I will tell you where I stand on this.

The evidence is that we derived our present form from the primates and they from a four - legged form which is why we were not 'designed' by nature to walk upright, but the 'Lucy' skeleton indicates that at some stage in the Cenozoic, one or more hominid species were obliged by conditions to walk. I don't know why, but the skeletal evidence is that they did, regularly. Suggesting having evolved on another world won't do. It does, however argue strongly against anyone having 'designed' us.

However, at the present time, I cannot see an obvious explanation for an intellect which I cannot honestly tell myself is really not much better than a chimp's.

I cannot rule out that there was an evolutionary reason for this and I cannot rule out that Alien scientists had a hand in it and I cannot rule out that a god dunnit. I have to remain 'cautiously interested' is how I put it.

In terms of likelihood I put it in this order:

(a) evolution. Most likely, as there is so much evidence that all life-forms came to be as they are through natural selection

(b) aliens. There is a statistical probablity that there are many other lifeforms and even intelligent and technologically capable ones elsewhere in this huge universe. There is also a definite and rather inexplicable aerial phenomemon (I don't mean my crummy TV reception). There is really very little evidence to show they were here in antiquity and the claims of alien contact often range from doubtful to hoax.

(c) a god dunnit. There is no good evidence that any of the many gods on offer exist or had any hand in our mental development and that is less evidence that the very shaky evidence for aliens dunnit.

The same argument applies to the other 'Gap for God..or a god or for alien scientists', abiogenesis.

And that, dear lady, is the best view I can take of the matter.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-05-2010 at 03:53 AM..

Old 08-05-2010, 07:41 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,897,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Are you serious? You really think your body or life in general isn't an intelligent design?! Wow. It's one thing to say you don't believe in God - that's your belief. But to say humans or life is not an intelligent design is just ludicrous. But that's just me.
I acknowledge that our bodies are complex. I love and marvel at my body. I am a psychologist by trade and I am amazed at what our brains can do.

But, I believe we evolved this way, due to the forces of nature, genetic recombination, errors in copying genetic markers, supply and demand, predator and prey, environmental niches, movement of organic chemicals across membranes, etc. There was no one in charge or guiding this process. No goal that something resembling homo sapiens would result from this process. No designer. No creator. No blueprint. No contractor or engineer signed off on the plan.

Natural forces can transform something simple into something more complex. Gravity pulls disorganized matter in a solar system into a planet. Elements naturally combine into molecules.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:28 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,778,812 times
I agree, Huffs. That succinctly puts the evidential underpinning for an alternative to Goddunnit. We may not have all the answers by a long way, but there is indication that the naturalistic theory has evidential support and goddunnit has only the support of the logical fallacies of argument from ignorance (gaps for God). The naturalist view is the most logical and rational one.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:52 AM

454 posts, read 499,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in world !! View Post

..... I know why I created? but , I want from all , answer on my question ? , why you created ....??

Thank for all >>>
Hello in world. I love that question because I think I know the answer

I was looking at a single tree growing all alone in the middle of an open space once and it came to me. All of creation exists for the glory of God. But human beings are even more special. God made all the creatures of the earth and then he made the one creature which can choose to love him the way he loves his creation.

We are here to reflect God's love.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 AM

33,568 posts, read 37,185,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman6 View Post
Hello in world. I love that question because I think I know the answer

I was looking at a single tree growing all alone in the middle of an open space once and it came to me. All of creation exists for the glory of God. But human beings are even more special. God made all the creatures of the earth and then he made the one creature which can choose to love him the way he loves his creation.

We are here to reflect God's love.
I think your answer is wrong...Humans are just another creature on earth...We are not more special than any other. We were not created, but are the results of billions of years of nature's trial and error (evolution)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality