Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:56 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times

Advertisements

Some years ago I had the time to waste so let a door knocker entertain me for awhile.
We ended up sparring in a friendly enough manner until I presented her with a question that I said, if she could answer, I would listen to her furthur.
Knowing that pain and suffering of man is excused with several reasons, I asked why God would allow/cause some innocent animal , unknown to and unseen by humans, to have, for instance, a tree fall on it,not kill it right away and lay, perhaps for minutes,hours or even days, in agony.

After several visits and after using up and casting off 'original sin' and 'sins of the father',she was stymied so passed it off to another fellow she declared better versed.
(I was finally given an explanation I have to admit couldn't factually counter. ...it was a stretch but not arguable)

Can any of you believers give even the thinnest palatable reason for this?

Last edited by old_cold; 08-05-2010 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: needed to be more precise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 06:49 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,987,416 times
Sometimes the JW god has a macabre sense of humor

Old 08-05-2010, 07:01 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Some years ago I had the time to waste so let a door knocker entertain me for awhile.
We ended up sparring in a friendly enough manner until I presented her with a question that I said, if she could answer, I would listen to her furthur.
Knowing that pain and suffering of man is excused with several reasons, I asked why God would allow/cause some innocent animal , unknown to and unseen by humans, to have, for instance, a tree fall on it,not kill it right away and lay, perhaps for minutes,hours or even days, in agony.

After several visits and after using up and casting off 'original sin' and 'sins of the father',she was stymied so passed it off to another fellow she declared better versed.
(I was finally given an explanation I have to admit couldn't factually counter. ...it was a stretch but not arguable)

Can any of you believers give even the thinnest reason for this?
Being an ex-believer myself...I can tell you the only reason (which is more BS) they will give is that Gods ways are higher than our ways and we cannot possibly understand the grand plan of it all. There is NO PLAUSIBLE OR POSSIBLE REASON for this kind of thing to occur whether it be an animal or a human...and trying to justify it by an alleged all knowing/all seeing/all loving God makes him look not only particularly sadistic but truly evil.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Being an ex-believer myself...I can tell you the only reason (which is more BS) they will give is that Gods ways are higher than our ways and we cannot possibly understand the grand plan of it all. There is NO PLAUSIBLE OR POSSIBLE REASON for this kind of thing to occur whether it be an animal or a human...and trying to justify it by an alleged all knowing/all seeing/all loving God makes him look not only particularly sadistic but truly evil.
Your response made me realize the question to you all was not precise enough.
I have edited it.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,965 times
Quote:
Your response made me realize the question to you all was not precise enough.
I have edited it.
I didn't see anything edited from what I responded to...but I am interested in the response you received from them...care to share?

Old 08-05-2010, 08:19 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,808 times
What was the answer they gave?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:35 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:

Can any of you believers give even the thinnest palatable reason for this?
OK, I'll play. As per the bible, all things on the earth are put here by god for the use of man, right? That makes them essentially tools and resources, not Disney style little human emotion feeling fuzzy critters with human personalities.

Since they are mere tools and don't contain spirits like people supposedly do, their pain, suffering and death is irrelevant and basically non-existant. It would be as silly as assuming a rock felt pain as it rolled off a cliff and into a ravine, or a tree felt pain for being cut down and made into part of a church.

Therefore, god could not be considered cruel or indifferent for letting it happen.

Nor could it be considered wasteful or unnecessary, because the the death of the animal would serve to put nutrients in the ground that would eventually feed the trees of the forest, which could then be cut down for human use.

Not my personal philosophy, but how can you refute a resource (as defined by the bible) experiences human suffering if it is being used (even indirectly) by humankind, as per the origional intent of it's creation?

Do I win a gold star?

Last edited by Chango; 08-05-2010 at 09:56 AM..

Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
I'd say that the only answer would be 'God knows what He is doing.'

It would be easy enough to say that God only intervenes at times and sometimes he lets bad poo happen if it isn't part of His plan, but I can see that the benefits of that way out might be outweighed by the demerits. I should be fascinated to know what the explanation was.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:49 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
But OC, you said you had been 'trumped' by a JW. What was the response that had you trumped?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:04 AM

Since mostly we only get evasive answers to most questions, guess I shouldn't be disappointed that there haven't been any from the apologists to this one
I said it was a stretch but at least it was imaginative.

Since man wasn't there to suffer from having to witness, maybe God has it arranged so that the animal doesn't feel pain or suffer.

You have to admit, I can't prove that one otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality