Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 08:35 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango
OK, I'll play. As per the bible, all things on the earth are put here by god for the use of man, right?
Wrong....No gold star for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 09:15 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why do you say wrong?

"Genesis 1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

Old 08-06-2010, 09:21 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Why do you say wrong?

"Genesis 1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."
I was gonna bust him there to...but you beat me to it.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:24 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,823,342 times
Quote:
When dealing with someone who believes that god can actually manage something like this, there isn't much of a comeback.

I let him get away with it because, unlike most times, it was specific to the situation and even if it included when in our presence, there is no way to prove an animal actually feels pain
In the sense that science doesn't actually deal with proofs. The final proofs of logic and mathematics flow deductively from stated premises and achieve certainty only because they are NOT about the emperical world.

Quote:
.........not one has ever been able to tell us and medically speaking,
Huh? Pain is pretty well understood, physiologically. Read a journal. Oh other animals may not "call" it pain, but they experience the same
measured response just like we do, none the less. I am sure you would agree their nervous system is pretty similar to ours. Any reason not to believe the evidence that other animals don't feel pain? Maybe you can run an experiment, of course then you will feel guilt, but I assure you, what the critter will not be feeling is guilt. They react the same way when they sense it. It is sounding like you are really defending your JW.

Quote:
there are instances of bodies with nerve endings, etc that have conditions where they cannot 'feel'.
If their nervous system is damaged they would be impervious to pain, such as a severed spinal cord.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Chango did qualify his statement, "As per the Bible."

Old 08-06-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
. It is sounding like you are really defending your JW.

No. Logic and common sense and my own beliefs are enough to know he was FoS.
I do play devil's advocate though to try to anticipate or understand anothers argument.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
No. Logic and common sense and my own beliefs are enough to know he was FoS.
I do play devil's advocate though to try to anticipate or understand anothers argument.
I do it too. Want to throw it up on the wall and see what sticks.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:23 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Chango says: The bible is a "unreliable" source for the truth.

Chango also says: The "humanization" of animals is a very recent phenomenon, not older than 60 or so years...about the time Disney started their thing and we started getting stuff like "lassie" and "old yeller" and all that jazz.

Therefore, belief that an animal feels "suffering" or any other human emotion would be foreign to the writers of the bible or those who interpreted it for the vast majority of Christianity's 2000 years of existence. According to western thought, animals were there for human use (I still think "dominion" includes that assumption), and by considering them inhuman, what animals feels becomes irrelevant. Of course, Europe took that even farther by deciding many groups of humans were not human and debated they didn't have spirits too, all in an attempt to justify the exploitation and destruction of native cultures worldwide during the period of colonial expansion.

Merely asking the OP's question shows how modern cultural bias changes the game as culture changes and evolves over time. We see everything through our own cultural lenses, of course and trying to make current needs/opinions jive with the past inevitably alters the material. It doesn't just happen with the humanization of animals, of course; this topic could (and does) fill several very large and ugly anthropology books... but face the facts people... your religion(s) is/are NOT what was believed and taught even a hundred years ago, much less 2000 years ago. So much for the eternal, unchanging god idea.

Now accepting applications for the Atheist club.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Now accepting applications for the Atheist club.
Rafius demanded I send my other card in.....do I have to re-apply?

Old 08-06-2010, 01:04 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Why did my cat shriek when her paw got caught under my boot?
Of course animals feel pain, science tells us that now. But I'm arguing for human perceptions, cultural expectations and assumptions, not real-life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality