Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
It seems the general definition is that western religions start in the middle east and Iran while eastern religions start in India, China, and Japan (though the Aryan beliefs Hinduism grew from are traced to Iran or central Russia I think). That does put them to the west and east of each other.
quick clarification..Hindus don't believe in Aryans..Aryan thinking was imposed on indians by europeans during colonial times by some "enlightened" scholar or the other. Original texts/ epics/ don't talk about any invasion or the other. Hinduism or "Santan Dharma" just exists.--that's the general theory.--it doesn't proselytize.
Our texts don't even contain the word "Hindu" anywhere. *sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 01:22 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Many Hindus say that a Westerner (or any non-Indian) cannot convert to Hinduism since 'Hindu' refers to a people with a folk religion, not a pre-packaged consumable route to salvation like Christianity or Islam.

As a matter of fact, the whole reason the Krishna Consciousness movement (Hare Krishna) was invented was to provide an avenue for no Hindus to practice veneration of Hindu gods for non-Hindu people.

Of course Westerners with their Abrahamic worldview believe in ideas like universalist 'paths' rather than inherited cultural worldviews in which religion is merely a component.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Good point, ABQConvict!

Old 03-19-2011, 04:56 PM

591 posts, read 641,461 times
Any chatecture in any book, real or fiction, is a deity. If you are on line and have a digital representation for the spiritual force that you are, or wish to be, then you are a practicing Hindu creating deities. God created the deity of Christ, so I guess there is no way around it. Even God is a Hindu.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:18 PM

7 posts, read 7,901 times
I address some myths or downright lies Christians spread about Hinduism on my blog. If Hindus practiced the way Christians describe them they would be fools. Yet Christ was an Essene and likely forbade the eating of meat but christians eat a lot of meat, Who is the fool? Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by june 7th; 05-07-2011 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: Website solicitation

Old 09-15-2011, 08:10 PM

7 posts, read 7,901 times
Default Deleted website---

I guess we are not allowed to put websites on here but we can post them to our profile. If you are interested you can visit my profile. Dan

Old 09-15-2011, 08:24 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyuha View Post
I guess we are not allowed to put websites on here but we can post them to our profile. If you are interested you can visit my profile. Dan
I think you have to have over X amount of posts before you can link, to kill the spam bots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality