Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,446 times

Advertisements

Is going to church necessary for spiritual growth? Well, that is a question that many people ask themselves. Most probably many will say yes, going to church is necessary for spiritual growth. I can answer this using another question. Is going to the gym necessary to getting fit and in shape?

One can join a gym and have access to the different cardio machines, free weights, and exercises classes. After all, one is paying a membership and getting services and/or amenities in return. However, one can also get in shape without joining a gym. One can have exercise equipment at home. One can also go jogging at parks, walk outdoors, or do jump rope at home. Well, same with spirituality. One can attend a church or join a church and contribute financially to the church. After all, there are expenses in running a church as well as pay the pastor his salary if he gets one. One can also benefit from either having small group meetings at homes. Or, one can also choose to read books, or the bible, or other religious/spiritual books at home or with friends. With the technology of the internet one can listen to or read spiritual websites and contribute to those sites financially as well.

My final point. I know there are those that will claim that by attending church one is connected with others and have fellowship with others in the church. Well, the people in the churches(not all of course) is one of the main reason that some people decide to not attend a church, or any churches period. Just like in the secular world, too many politics in the church as well as hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 09:33 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Nature is my 'church'. It's beautiful all on it's own, doesn't beg for money and really doesn't give a crap if you don't show up and meditate for weeks on end...in fact, it probably prefers it

Whenever I feel I need guidance (I don't do 'spiritual' stuff) I can go to the dunes down the street from where I live, hike into a secluded area and meditate for a few hours and come up with solutions. No building or people necessary.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:29 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Is going to church necessary for spiritual growth? Well, that is a question that many people ask themselves. Most probably many will say yes, going to church is necessary for spiritual growth. I can answer this using another question. Is going to the gym necessary to getting fit and in shape?

One can join a gym and have access to the different cardio machines, free weights, and exercises classes. After all, one is paying a membership and getting services and/or amenities in return. However, one can also get in shape without joining a gym. One can have exercise equipment at home. One can also go jogging at parks, walk outdoors, or do jump rope at home. Well, same with spirituality. One can attend a church or join a church and contribute financially to the church. After all, there are expenses in running a church as well as pay the pastor his salary if he gets one. One can also benefit from either having small group meetings at homes. Or, one can also choose to read books, or the bible, or other religious/spiritual books at home or with friends. With the technology of the internet one can listen to or read spiritual websites and contribute to those sites financially as well.

My final point. I know there are those that will claim that by attending church one is connected with others and have fellowship with others in the church. Well, the people in the churches(not all of course) is one of the main reason that some people decide to not attend a church, or any churches period. Just like in the secular world, too many politics in the church as well as hypocrisy.
God does not reside in any church. He resides in the hearts of men.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:33 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Nature is my 'church'. It's beautiful all on it's own, doesn't beg for money and really doesn't give a crap if you don't show up and meditate for weeks on end...in fact, it probably prefers it

Whenever I feel I need guidance (I don't do 'spiritual' stuff) I can go to the dunes down the street from where I live, hike into a secluded area and meditate for a few hours and come up with solutions. No building or people necessary.
You do make an interesting point. I feel that one needs to connect with "themselves" first, before connecting with others. One way this could be done is via nature like described in the previous post. Nothing wrong with connecting with people. However, I find that periodically I need to "disconnect" with people in order to "connect" with myself. This helps me gain a better understanding of not only myself, but also gives me the wisdom and strength to be of service to others as well as connecting with others.

Too many times people get caught up in group thinking and go along with the crowd, while at the same time disconnecting with ones true self.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:16 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Is going to Church necessary for spiritual growth?

No, it is not. Many church goers are actually quite poor in spirit.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:41 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Quote:
Is going to church necessary for spiritual growth?
Generally speaking, it inhibits spiritual growth

Old 09-01-2010, 01:20 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Is going to Church necessary for spiritual growth?

No, it is not. Many church goers are actually quite poor in spirit.
Matthew 5

3"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

As to the OP, I ask, what does the Bible say?

Luke 4

14Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about him spread through the whole countryside. 15He taught in their synagogues, and everyone praised him.
16He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom.

Hebrews 10:25

25Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Finally, I remember a line from the Rick Warren book, The Purpose-Filled Church, "We can do more together."

Old 09-01-2010, 01:53 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,162,488 times
Quote:
Is going to church necessary for spiritual growth?
In my little corner of the world, the answer is "no." I'm very spiritual and the only church I ever go to is directly to my Heavenly Father at any time whenever I feel the need... and this is how I love it the most.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:05 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Church is unnecessary; religion is unnecessary; gods and the supernatural are unnecessary. Which is a good thing, because the latter are also nonexistent.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:24 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Generally speaking, it inhibits spiritual growth
I agree...attending church (which is really nothing more than a social get together with great entertainment on Sunday morning) tends to keep one in the herd and doesn't allow one to grow...it doesn't allow one to go beyond the bonds of their respective religious belief. Spirituality is a personal thing where one will experience personal growth but the growth can be hindered as long as one is part of the herd and clinging to the herd mentality.

Last edited by ChristyGrl; 09-01-2010 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality