Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 12:44 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times

Advertisements

Ok <cracks knuckles> ready whenever Jazzed is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 02:50 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Sorry guys, I have fallen way behind. I've been wrapped up in 2 other books. Its funny actually, today I was reading a part of "God is not Great" by Christpher Hitchens and he was talking about the authenticity of the NT. He was talking about the evidence these guys offer with regard to eye witness testimony and tearing it to pieces!! Its a shame I didn't come accross it before my response.

Anyway, I'll finish up this week. I actually sold the God Dellusion on ebay as I wasn't enjoyng it.. I will certainly follow these posts though... enjoy!

Old 08-07-2007, 03:58 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,336 times
Default God Delusion

Ok, we can move on if the rest of you are ready. I read the last bit pretty quickly...and I've read your posts. I'm not sure where Blue and Alpha are however.

Blue....Alpha...your thoughts?

Old 08-07-2007, 04:35 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Jazzed, I think Blue said a couple of pages ago that she wasn't going to be able to continue.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Jazzed, I think Blue said a couple of pages ago that she wasn't going to be able to continue.
She did? I missed that! Well, I think Alpha started ahead of us so he should be fine if we go on to the next book.

Might as well forge ahead then.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:54 PM

Well, I read a little bit of it. I sure hope his vast use of the English language does not hinder what he's actually trying to get at. I have a feeling some people are going to be turned off if he does not put it in laymen's terms. I still have a long way to go in the book, so we'll see.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:45 PM

Troop...what do you mean? Does he use big words and complicated language? I haven't looked at it yet.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:06 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I am almost finished with the book. I said earlier that I wpoldn't be able to finish this challenge thread, but got a guilty conscience because I was a drop out, and I try to finish what I started Chapters nine thru12 were pretty interesting to me as a believer..But then most of us christians do rely on the writings of Josephus as a credible historian. I feel that the few references to Jesus that he made should at least prove that there was a man named Jesuswho was crucified, and his desciples carried on his work after his death..Good testimony coming from a nonchristian..Just historical facts to Josephesus.I do believe that we do not have any proof as for the date any of the nt books were actually written..Does it really make a difference to a believer? No. To the athiest I can see where this is a point to argue.The apostles(cpt10)boldly admitted that they were the desciples of Jesus and continued to spread the word under great danger and eventually their deaths. I could believe if only one or two people had carried on the ministry, that they were a couple of nuts, but come on there were 11 and they added another, not to mention the other converts who were also doing the same.(Cptr11)The top ten. These work for most christians. but would not work for me if I were an athiest or if I was an athiest seeking religion. I agree with the authors that the way the writers express themselves, tell on themselves, and made thenmselves available for public mockery that they were telling the events about the resurrection as they perceived it. They were careful (inspired?) to include names, dates and places in their writings that could be historically proven. I am not going to discuss their comments on the muslims, because to be very honest some of us would probably be muslims if we were born into it. ..I am done with chapter 12and13, but will add it to the comments to the rest of the book and my summary later tonight or in the morning. I am looking forward to see if Dawkins hiolds my interest better than thes guys do

Old 08-07-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I am almost finished with the book. I said earlier that I wpoldn't be able to finish this challenge thread, but got a guilty conscience because I was a drop out, and I try to finish what I started Chapters nine thru12 were pretty interesting to me as a believer..But then most of us christians do rely on the writings of Josephus as a credible historian. I feel that the few references to Jesus that he made should at least prove that there was a man named Jesuswho was crucified, and his desciples carried on his work after his death..Good testimony coming from a nonchristian..Just historical facts to Josephesus.I do believe that we do not have any proof as for the date any of the nt books were actually written..Does it really make a difference to a believer? No. To the athiest I can see where this is a point to argue.The apostles(cpt10)boldly admitted that they were the desciples of Jesus and continued to spread the word under great danger and eventually their deaths. I could believe if only one or two people had carried on the ministry, that they were a couple of nuts, but come on there were 11 and they added another, not to mention the other converts who were also doing the same.(Cptr11)The top ten. These work for most christians. but would not work for me if I were an athiest or if I was an athiest seeking religion. I agree with the authors that the way the writers express themselves, tell on themselves, and made thenmselves available for public mockery that they were telling the events about the resurrection as they perceived it. They were careful (inspired?) to include names, dates and places in their writings that could be historically proven. I am not going to discuss their comments on the muslims, because to be very honest some of us would probably be muslims if we were born into it. ..I am done with chapter 12and13, but will add it to the comments to the rest of the book and my summary later tonight or in the morning. I am looking forward to see if Dawkins hiolds my interest better than thes guys do
Great comments and observations Blue! I agree with everything you said. You summed it up so perfectly.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Troop...what do you mean? Does he use big words and complicated language? I haven't looked at it yet.
Umm, yeah you could say that he uses big words and complicated language. To be quite honest, I'm afraid that what he's really trying to point out will be somewhat lost in the confusion of deciphering what these big words mean. I have a pretty full understanding of what he is talking about but only because I have read a lot about what it is he is talking about. To be honest, for example, he makes very little effort to explain what the Teleological argument is. Now, for me, I already know that, but to your common reader, do they really know that? I think this is going to be an interesting read and I'm very interested to see what others think of it but I'm not sure if everyone is going to grasp the concepts of what he is talking about. It's still very early in the book to make a determination so maybe it'll all clear up. Makes me think I should pursue writing a book about atheism for the comman laymen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality