Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:48 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,239,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Every so often I bemoan the poor design of human beings and wonder why a god would do such shoddy design work. I am speaking mainly of bodily functions, i.e., elimination and also female menstrual periods. Can you even imagine the nightmare these problems presented to the human race before indoor toilets and the invention of paper products? This is just mind-boggling to me and I cannot understand how a creator glossed over these design problems.

How were the incontinence needs of infants and old people accommodated in ancient times? It is a problem today (old people, specifically) but what about in ancient times? Of course these horrible, nasty tasks have always fallen to women.

Ugh. What a horrible design. I think there should be a massive recall.
Really!

Women should have come with a second set of arms/hands straight from the factory. With all that we have to do, they would come in handy. ( bad pun )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 02:51 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,239,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Many humans are born with serious defects. Those who do not catch a variety of diseases.
And aren't you just a little ray of sunshine?

Old 11-17-2010, 04:07 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,964,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Not a matter of "belief"...it's a fact.

Secular Christianity and Islam (Belief in Biblegod & Allah, respectively) comprise over half the worlds population. Thus my statement, "...would be offensive/insulting to the majority of the world population, that you know DOES fully believe a God (and a specific God, at that) created humans..."

I want to note...what you said doesn't bother ME...I do know, however, that it DOES bother many others. A LOT. MOF there are many places in this world that most of what is written on this forum would have the people (including me) who wrote it in jeopardy of harm/death...especially direct insults/criticism, in any way/shape/form, of a Deity, "Sacred" writings, or noted Prophets. I want to go on record saying that I don't agree with that attitude...but I am cognizant of the reality of the world.

How I came to my belief? Raised Roman Catholic by 1st generation Italian-Americans. In my early teens I ditched my belief, due to my discontent with the doctrine I was taught. Lived as an Atheist until early this year.
Was "moved" to feel I was "missing something"...so I went on a "Quest for Truth". Found it on this forum: Search posts by MysticPhD...read his "Synthesis"...there, you will find Truth---IMO (though I am sure of it), of course.
It's a sad day when on an American based (I believe that is the case) forum a fundamentalist Christian warns someone who questions the design of the body with harm or death. Free speech is not what it used to be. I would have never guessed that someone would caution me about being harmed or killed for expressing my viewpoints, which might differ from theirs.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:24 PM

651 posts, read 1,419,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orestes View Post
It's been covered, but to reiterate, you should follow the rules for citation. It's also telling about just how much studying you've done.
I don't understand why people claim to be well versed in a subject when it is obvious that they have very little knowledge. Actually, I understand their motives but I don't understand why they think people will be fooled by their claims of expertise in a subject. Authority is invoked with the intent to knock down arguments without providing any valid counter arguments. Googling a bunch of facts about functions in the body and inserting those facts without explaining how they counter the argument being made is just silly. Regarding sinus design flaw, she attempted to explain function without addressing the design flaw. And, then, goes on to describe a flaw that causes illness and suffering as a 'vain' criticism. I suspect these types of posters think that we'll be overwhelmed by the number of plagarised articles and irrelevant facts presented. Protip: We're not.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:42 PM

245 posts, read 456,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
I don't understand ...
Me either. I'm all for a person diving into new information in order to contribute to a discussion. That should be expected and applauded. However, 'fact mining' in an attempt to put on an air of pretentious authority is nothing less than insulting and unforgivable.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:47 PM

245 posts, read 456,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haynako View Post
Uh, when did I pretend to be well versed in body systems?
FYI: please refer to my prior post to you. Look it over carefully, it's the last correspondence I will be directing to you.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:51 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,652,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Really!

Women should have come with a second set of arms/hands straight from the factory. With all that we have to do, they would come in handy. ( bad pun )
Probably need a battery compartment or another head (so one can do the snoozing while the other stays awake) too

But yes, I agree. Humans are way too inefficient. We can't dig, climb, or run efficient. Heck, we can't even properly maintain our internal body systems, seeing that we unable to fully utilize ingoing energy. It's a wonder we are on top of the food chain

Old 11-17-2010, 07:02 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,652,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No, I'm not overweight nor do I suffer from diarrhea. I'm a 6 ft male at 175 lbs. Maybe I'm just lucky, or it's the fact that I have never eaten much fatty foods.
Wish I had your body or your dieting secrets

But despite not eating fatty foods, fat are present in other foods such as cooking oils and meat. Of course, you can live without having a gallbladder, seeing that its primary function is to secrete bile, which coats fat droplets and makes them easier to break down.

Though, that means if you had eaten a really fatty meal, it might make your business turn a different color or stomach complications due to the lack of assistance

Old 11-18-2010, 01:40 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,688,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It's a sad day when on an American based (I believe that is the case) forum a fundamentalist Christian warns someone who questions the design of the body with harm or death. Free speech is not what it used to be. I would have never guessed that someone would caution me about being harmed or killed for expressing my viewpoints, which might differ from theirs.
Ummmmmm...where did you get that I was a "Fundamentalist Christian? I'm not. I directed you to where you could find out my theological view/concept you asked for...obviously you didn't check it out...or you wouldn't have assigned that inaccurate label.

I see the portion of my post you bolded. Why didn't you include the 1st and last sentence of the paragraph? You know...where I say, "It doesn't bother ME", and, "I don't agree with that attitude". I know why!....if you take something out of context, you can make it appear someone said something they didn't!! Ahhhhh...not too cool!

Look...if you don't know how intensely serious many people take their Deities and Sacred Writings, you are simply not in touch with this world. But then...in your OP you asked what the people did in "ancient times"..."before toilets and paper products"...as though, there aren't hundreds of millions that still don't have toilets and paper products. You "never guessed"?...I believe that!

Bottom Line: People are soooooo sensitive about their beliefs...they engage in full out war over it. MILLIONS and MILLIONS have been killed/maimed as a result. Do I think that's cool?...not at all! Do I know that's the way this world has been for thousands of years, and STILL is?...of course!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:08 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,964,011 times
I fail to see your point. Yes, I had the audacity to state my true feelings/thoughts about something on a message board that in other countries you couldn't even think, in secret, I guess. As an American, it is my right to have free speech, and I am spoiled, because I am used to it and exercise that right.

Just because I mentioned "ancient times" (and I did so as to give a visual of cave people on forward struggling with the various body function issues) does not mean I don't understand that in other parts of the world people might still struggle with some of these issues. My point was that I perceive it as a problem . . . not anything to do with time or where it is occurring . . . I don't really care about your religious or spiritual beliefs . . . I already know too much about your hobbies ogling women - but thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality