Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:25 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Do you think all Christians believe the same things when it comes to science and knowledge, or are you just formulating the question that way to start an argument?

I am Christian. Of course I "believe" in the ice age. There are a hell of a lot of rocks in the backyard that were pushed forward by the edge of the two-mile-high glacier that once extended down into New Jersey.

Dig a hole here in Michigan and you'll hit gravel in short order. He have it in abundance because the same ice sheets which dug out the Great Lakes dropped the left overs all over the Northern Mid-West. The only cotriversey is someone wanting to claim the Bible rules out Ice Ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 05:31 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Originally Posted by Jazzymom
It is scientifically accepted that there have been ice ages.... But ice ages are not in the bible.....

Just giving a response to the op because he was asking do Christians believe in the ice age. Well they use their bible to prove a whole lot of science and the ice age is not in the bible.

Momonkey said:

Neither are corn dogs.

What's your point?

But honestly your response about corn dogs really makes no sense at all......

Old 03-02-2011, 05:41 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Originally Posted by Jazzymom
It is scientifically accepted that there have been ice ages.... But ice ages are not in the bible.....

Just giving a response to the op because he was asking do Christians believe in the ice age. ......

Basically what is interesting is that the ice age is not also appropriate to have by the deduction of Evolution arguments.

So we have possibly ice ages without evolution, and possibly global warming without evolution. Now, back in the nineties... I'd say the calvinist evangelists thought that the bible was written by a good writer with an underestimation at the 'God given' amount of time.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Dig a hole here in Michigan and you'll hit gravel in short order. He have it in abundance because the same ice sheets which dug out the Great Lakes dropped the left overs all over the Northern Mid-West. The only cotriversey is someone wanting to claim the Bible rules out Ice Ages.
I understand that, but I didn't like the way the question was worded, and not just because it was grammatically atrocious. It was presumptive and designed to be offensive.

Anyway, I hope to get out to see those Great Lakes one of these days! : )

Old 03-02-2011, 10:02 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The Bible says the earth is 6,000 years old?

Chapter and verse please.
Need to ask the YECs that. Sans is just referring to people that believe that.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:53 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
So we have possibly ice ages without evolution, and possibly global warming without evolution.
Possibly. For some strange reason, I don't think it's necessary for people to declare their "belief" in an event for that event to have occurred. If I say that I don't believe there's any such planet as Neptune, does that mean Neptune doesn't actually exist? There isn't any hard evidence for an individual known to history as William Shakespeare; that doesn't mean he didn't walk the Earth and write all those plays.

So if Christians want to insist that there weren't any ice ages, I say, let 'em insist all they want. They've dismissed me as a "non-believer" anyway, so I don't have any obligation to follow their script.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:47 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default Truth and Consequences!

Yes, after a while, you see the utter futility of talking straight with the YEC types. They know danged well there were Ice Ages. Either that or their mischievous God laid down all those sediments and glacial moraines just as if there had been multiple Ice Ages.

Yep: a great use of his time and endless skills! He also answers specific prayers for a new job!

But of course, to accept this fact, plus Evolution and an ancient earth and the Big Bang, is to summarily toss out all the now-outdated and obsolete biblical story versions. They will not be content with using it as a simple philosophical and spiritual guide.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:44 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Christians are not a monolithic blob.

I remember a novel where a scientist was worried about discussing light refraction with monks. Why? Because the Bible has Noah see the "first rainbow" so they might be upset by the idea rainbows are a natural event predating people. The monks, and presumably the then Catholic author, just kind of laughed at him.

Sure some of us might not believe in ice ages or refraction or penguins, as they aren't in the Bible and are feathered creatures yet of "the sea", but many to most of us do.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:55 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default Ok: I admit it!

Good point, Thomas R. Of course, I in particular tend to group many dogmatic Christians as somewhat monolithic, but it's mostly because the majority of combative posts here reflect that mono-culture of thought. It's not the thoughtful Christian who realize that, obviously, there could not have been dinosaurs on an Ark, or indeed an Ark at all, but rather those who absolutely insist it happened, and that ancient but illiterate Christian peasant farmers tamed and rode T-Rexs around the village square with no danger to their free-ranging sheep and children (), and so on.

So yep; I do get all worked up and hostile from time to time, I'll admit it. If there were no such amusing but nutty posts here, I'd have to pack up my typing fingers and go do something far less entertaining. This becomes an educational quest for me; to aid in ridding the world of insanely over-simplified and easily dis-proven mythologies, since, after all, it's damaging to the future success and even the survival of our society. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:06 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,457,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
does christians believe in the ice ages?
Just one. After the flood.
Job 38:30 The waters are hid as [with] a stone, and the face of the deep is frozen.
PS -it isn't all gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality