Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
again, your not understanding what i am trying to tell you. there is only one version of the original quran. meaning that the quran has the original text in arabic the same way it was written 1400 years ago. eveyone would say the same thing bcause they have memorized it in arabic, in the original arabic in which it was written.

there would be no war. there would be no confusion because theres only ONE VERSION. people have different opinions on the meanings of some of the verses but that does not change the original text or the way it was written. they would all be able to recite word for word, the quran.

what i am trying to say over and over that theres a difference between a translation to a different language and a different version are two different things meaning for example...

there is no king james quran, english standard quran, new king james quran, etc.

but there is the king james bible which has different text from the new king james bible which has different text from the english standard bible, etc.

there is only ONE quran. many TRANSLATIONS into different languages but only ONE VERSION. ONE WAY IT IS RECITED, ONE WAY IT IS WRITTEN.

the bible is recited differently, has different VERSIONS, and is written different ways.

it does not matter if there is only one version, a war would ensue over who's memorized version is correct.. just a few words left out, or misused in the 6000 verses in the quran could change the whole meaning of a particular veres, or the whole darn book, depending on all the variations and misinterpreted verses.. hay it realy dosen't matter.. your hypothetical question would never happen, and is subject to opinion.. some people believe in the easter bunny and no matter what you tell them they will always believe in the easter bunny.. comprendo???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,912 times
[quote=sukrill;18165459]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post

of course it is fine to disagree. you say you have muslim friends, next time you see them ask them what is the whole point of islam. and i guarantee it won't be that the point of islam is to memorize the quran. which is what you said. if you say that they did IN FACT say that is the point i would know that you are either lying that you have muslim friends or that your lying about asking them because out of all the muslims ive met, even me being a muslim myself do not say this is the idea of islam. or that this is the goal of islam.

and again your trying to change the subject by saying your faith is not dependent on a book, i never said my faith was dependent on a book but that is what you are implying.

you say that you know a lot about islam and you may, but you have to understand that when you say you know so much about islam and that it is the "ideal" of islam to memorize the quran, and implying that the islamic faith is dependent on a book, it makes me believe otherwise because me being a muslim, i know that none of that is true. now the quran does have some dependence on it because it is the word of god and it is in its original form and it has not changed in over 1400 years. if it did change well then we would have many versions of it but we dont.

this is what i am trying to get you to understand
I do know a lot about Islam, I won't debate that with you. I will say that yes if you need to memorize a book because what would happen if all the Qur'ans were thrown into the ocean and none were left. What would you do? You are dependent in having those who have it memorized so it can be recreated.

Again I am not trying to change the subject so please stop accusing me of that. When you bring up a subject and bring in other religions you need to understand that you will get responses.

Clearly the point of Islam is not to memorize the Qur'an, but it is absolutely emphasized. I would also appreciate not being called a liar if my answers do not agree with yours. Muslims are not a monolith and not all Muslims think the same.

I do not need to ask anyone, I know what I know.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:45 PM

397 posts, read 608,648 times
Quote:
The Bible is read, not recited. The Torah is chanted. The Qur'an has many translations and these translations do not have the same wording as the Arabic.

I am not sure where you get "there would be no war", Islam was spread by the sword. Even now in Islamic countries those who practice other faiths are always on the fringe. In many Islamic countries other religions cannot even be practiced openly. How many churches are in Saudia Arabia? I would say 0.
what your talking about in bold is on a different subject that i wouldnt mind discussing, just not on this thread because its starting to go off the topic.

but you say that the bible is read, not recited. however the quran is not only read but is also recited. the quran does have many translations and yes i agree but what i keep saying and what your not understanding is that there is a difference between a translation and a version. the bible has different versions as well as different translations into different languages of those versions. but the quran has ONE VERSION that has been translated into different languages but does not change the fact that there is on version of the quran.

your having trouble understanding that im saying theres a difference between the definition of the words translation and version.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,912 times
Quote:
what your talking about in bold is on a different subject that i wouldnt mind discussing, just not on this thread because its starting to go off the topic.

but you say that the bible is read, not recited. however the quran is not only read but is also recited. the quran does have many translations and yes i agree but what i keep saying and what your not understanding is that there is a difference between a translation and a version. the bible has different versions as well as different translations into different languages of those versions. but the quran has ONE VERSION that has been translated into different languages but does not change the fact that there is on version of the quran.

your having trouble understanding that im saying theres a difference between the definition of the words translation and version.
When ever you translate to another language you change the wording.. Each english Qur'an is written with different words then the Arabic and there are many different translations. I don't think you understand what I am saying.

The Torah is chanted and read.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
it does not matter if there is only one version, a war would ensue over who's memorized version is correct.. just a few words left out, or misused in the 6000 verses in the quran could change the whole meaning of a particular veres, or the whole darn book, depending on all the variations and misinterpreted verses.. hay it realy dosen't matter.. your hypothetical question would never happen, and is subject to opinion.. some people believe in the easter bunny and no matter what you tell them they will always believe in the easter bunny.. comprendo???
what? i ask that you do research or at least re read what i have written. because ive said it more than a few times already. you say "a war would ensue over who's memorized version is correct". im telling you that there is only one version. and every muslim who has memorized the quran has memorized that version. there are not many versions. but there are many versions of the bible which is why there are so many different ones being written.

you should do more studying because it happened with the bible, which is why the most original bible that exist was written 400 years after christ. and your comparison to the easter bunny is just beginning to show that your running out of proofs and things to say. it always ends with mockery or sarcasm.

you say "just a few words left out, or misused in the 6000 verses in the quran could change the whole meaning of a particular veres, or the whole darn book, depending on all the variations and misinterpreted verses"

and i agree 100% percent. but you will not find this in the quran. however if you look at the bible you will find this. there are different words and verses in different bibles and they do change the meaning of the verses. and yes the variations and misinterpreted verses cause confusion, and cause the bibles to be re-written over a dozen times. they re-write them because of disagreements between christians. one says the kjv is the original some say the rsv. causing disagreements amongst the christians themselves.

this would not happen with the quran because like i keep saying there is only one version.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:02 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times
Quote:
... the most original bible that exist was written 400 years after christ.
I think you're referring to the Christian Bible, not the Bible, or, if you prefer, the Jewish Bible.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
When ever you translate to another language you change the wording.. Each english Qur'an is written with different words then the Arabic and there are many different translations. I don't think you understand what I am saying.

The Torah is chanted and read.
yes i understand that there are different translations because you cannot translate arabic to english 100%. there are different TRANSLATIONS. yes i agree. but in the quran you will find the ORIGINAL arabic text. in the english TRANSLATED quran you will find the ORIGINAL arabic text. the arabic text that is only written one way and has not changed in over 1400 years.

the quran has ONE VERSION and that ONE ORIGINAL VERSION has been TRANSLATED to many different languages.

the bible has MANY VERSIONS and not ONE is the ORIGINAL which is why there are MULTIPLE VERSIONS that have also each been TRANSLATED into different languages.

my point is...

the quran - one version
the bible - many versions

Old 03-06-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
I think you're referring to the Christian Bible, not the Bible, or, if you prefer, the Jewish Bible.
yes. i am referring to the christian bible. i have not done enough research on judaism to talk about it. thanks though maybe i should have cleared that up in the beginning when i said it.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:39 AM

570 posts, read 733,970 times
So the main idea is this :
Quote:
The original version of the bible does not exist
There is too many versions of the bible ... wright ?
is that means the bible you have today could be distorted ?
If it's not the same exact bible that Jesus Christ gave you then i could not see how is it possible not to be distorted!!
Maby in the original version of the bible we could finde Jesus said that he is not gods son !!!
Since you dont' have original version then it could be possible !!
Did you ever wonder about it ?!!
If you say no .. then what is your definition of distorted ?
P.S : Translation does not change the meaning ... for example :
there are too many translations of "gone with the wind" novel but still you won't find different versions of it .. its all the same words the same story line ... so make your own conclusions !!!!

Last edited by squall-lionheart; 03-07-2011 at 06:58 AM..

Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
There is too many versions of the bible ... wright ?
Please define what YOU mean by Bible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality