Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 03:59 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,981 times

Advertisements

We always hear, Jesus said this and Jesus said that in the Bible. But did Jesus ever actually direct his follows to write the New Testament or write down his words? Did Jesus have any inclination that these New Testaments were even being written about his life? If the answer to these questions are no...then his followers would have been operating and writting books of their own volitions and not by the direction of God or Jesus.

Is this a possibility? True? False?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 04:05 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
I also brought up the question in our book challenge thread about the length of time from the death of Jesus until the NT was actually written. There does seem to be a certain amount of controversy about the timeframe and it makes me wonder why they didn't start work on it immediately after Jesus was gone. It seems to make sense from a Christian standpoint that it would be of the utmost importance to write the book as soon as possible and spread the message around the world. I don't really recall if Jesus actually instructed anyone to write it though.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I also brought up the question in our book challenge thread about the length of time from the death of Jesus until the NT was actually written. There does seem to be a certain amount of controversy about the timeframe and it makes me wonder why they didn't start work on it immediately after Jesus was gone. It seems to make sense from a Christian standpoint that it would be of the utmost importance to write the book as soon as possible and spread the message around the world. I don't really recall if Jesus actually instructed anyone to write it though.
Along the same lines, I cannot seem to figure how a Book (New Testament) which is "inspired by God" was not endorsed by God (Jesus) personnally. Now, I know that the John, Paul, etc., stated that the New Testament was written by the inspiration of God, but Jesus (as far as I am aware) never said that. Which is, in my opinion equal to writting an unathorized Biography. Now, this is just my opinion, but perhaps someone else more knowledgeable can clarify.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:57 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Along the same lines, I cannot seem to figure how a Book (New Testament) which is "inspired by God" was not endorsed by God (Jesus) personnally. Now, I know that the John, Paul, etc., stated that the New Testament was written by the inspiration of God, but Jesus (as far as I am aware) never said that. Which is, in my opinion equal to writting an unathorized Biography. Now, this is just my opinion, but perhaps someone else more knowledgeable can clarify.
2 Timothy 3:16 says ALL scripture is the inspired word of God. And Jesus is God.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
2 Timothy 3:16 says ALL scripture is the inspired word of God. And Jesus is God.
Geez ...Why do you find it necessary to quote scripture to answer a simple question?

Old 08-05-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Geez ...Why do you find it necessary to quote scripture to answer a simple question?
Because it is the answer to your question

Old 08-05-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Because it is the answer to your question
No, your scripture quoting was not the answer to my question. I asked if it was written in the Bible that Jesus directly told or instructed his followers (Paul, John, Matthew, etc) to write his words down in a New Testament or Book (s).

Old 08-05-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
No, your scripture quoting was not the answer to my question. I asked if it was written in the Bible that Jesus directly told or instructed his followers (Paul, John, Matthew, etc) to write his words down in a New Testament or Book (s).
You also said: If the answer to these questions are no...then his followers would have been operating and writting books of their own volitions and not by the direction of God or Jesus.

The answer to this is 2 Timothy 3:16

Old 08-05-2007, 06:03 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,578,987 times
Default Ilnc Gave You The Right Answer

Quote:
ILNC gave you exactly the right answer. You need to look up the word inspired up in your dictionary and need to know about the Trinity(Father,Son and Holy Ghost).God and Jesus are the same person and the Holy Spirit is that which dwells within us as believers. Non-believers will not understand this concept..

Old 08-05-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
You also said: If the answer to these questions are no...then his followers would have been operating and writting books of their own volitions and not by the direction of God or Jesus.

The answer to this is 2 Timothy 3:16
I a literal non-spiritual question and you provided me with a spiritual answer. Therefore, since I asked a literal or non-spirictual question the corresponding literal (non-spiritual) answer would have been a simple: No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality