Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:03 AM

661 posts, read 1,183,788 times

Advertisements

The anomaly is that although Christians want to win the world and some aggressively proselytize, they also believe that the number being saved is going to be few... 'go in through the narrow gate, few are the ones finding it...' and so they are not too hopeful that you will embrace the faith.

I dont know so much about other faiths but Jehovah's Witnesses believe that all should be preached to, and those who reject the message will be destroyed at Armageddon. Ask them what happens to the ones who dont get to hear the message, and mostly they will answer that God would not destroy someone who was ignorant of the message.

If God truly would not destroy the uninformed, those who never heard the gospel, then surely hearing the message is more dangerous than not, because then your chances of the reward come down from 100% to 50%.

So stop preaching Christians..JWs and give us all a chance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,917 times
Blank statements are ignorant.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:18 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
They treat some like 'cases' until they can win them.

Thanks for help.
Ah ....think you have the wrong religion...try Muslim.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:20 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Ah ....think you have the wrong religion...try Muslim.
What about tryin.... no religions?
They are all gangs.

Addendum:http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gang

Last edited by gabfest; 07-07-2011 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: addendum

Old 07-07-2011, 01:29 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Have you tried saying "No thank you" to someone who's pushing their religion in your face because they think you need to be "saved?" In my experience, you have to go a little further than that; they don't take "no" for an answer.

I don't know where you are, but I've been involved in literally thousands of witnessing opportunities, all over the country, and I have yet to see someone press the issue after a "No thank you."

And, I mean I have NEVER seen that done.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:33 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,938 times
The obvious question here is, with the poll demographic inferring that ±80% of the US nation being xian, ±18% being atheist/irreligious, who exactly are the target audience for conversion?

Is there a sign on people's foreheads in the US that tells you they are xian or not. Would an evangelical approach a muslim in traditional garb?

This fascinates me as we are always TOLD in these board discussions how many folk believe in god or are xians.

Surely there is no need to evangelize as the atheists are highly unlikely candidates for conversion.

Perhaps a hot dolly in a miniskirt, a lad in jeans and an untucked tee shirt?

This really is all so confusing when the "majority" of US citizens are in FACT xians.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:02 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
The obvious question here is, with the poll demographic inferring that ±80% of the US nation being xian, ±18% being atheist/irreligious, who exactly are the target audience for conversion?

Is there a sign on people's foreheads in the US that tells you they are xian or not. Would an evangelical approach a muslim in traditional garb?

This fascinates me as we are always TOLD in these board discussions how many folk believe in god or are xians.

Surely there is no need to evangelize as the atheists are highly unlikely candidates for conversion.

This really is all so confusing when the "majority" of US citizens are in FACT xians.
There isn't any way to tell who is a believer or who isn't without asking, as a general rule. Christian's aren't required to wear an arm band or something, you know, and since "chrisitian" beliefs can run the gamut from Bible-believing evangelical's to those who follow the channeled spirit of Jesus, the only way to ascertain whether or not a person is in need of salvation is to engage them in conversation. Moreover, since far too many Christian denominations think they, and they alone, have the "whole" truth, everyone seems to be fair game. In short, it's not just atheist's or agnostic's who are targeted; it's everyone!

And, yes, some sects or denominations are very agressive about their outreach ministries to the point that even I, a good, solid Southern Baptist, have had to tell some of them to get the hell off my front porch and don't come back.

The point is that some of y'all seem to be a little too sensitive about it and tend to personalize what the rest of us go through too. Nobody is "after" you because you're an atheist.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:22 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
They treat some like 'cases' until they can win them.

Thanks for help.
They're selling the book and not the word. Trying to see how many they can get to read the bible makes them feel better about their religion. They forgot to love one another in the meantime. I've ran into several selling their "bible" and have yet to see any of them just being love without a reason while presenting the bible. I've even went so far as to ask them why I would need to read the bible if I followed the two commands that Jesus gave, to love God and each other. They keep telling me that there's more to it than that. They have forgotten that under those two commands hangs all the Law.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:42 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post

Good point. Tracts are handed out to anyone passing by without first enquiring whether they are believers or not. Perhaps the operation is done on a salmon - spawn principle - if one out of a thousand becomes fertilized it is worth the rest falling on stony ground. Or perhaps it is more a ritual piece - work. They also serve who only stand and hand out tracts.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:49 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
They're selling the book and not the word. Trying to see how many they can get to read the bible makes them feel better about their religion. They forgot to love one another in the meantime. I've ran into several selling their "bible" and have yet to see any of them just being love without a reason while presenting the bible. I've even went so far as to ask them why I would need to read the bible if I followed the two commands that Jesus gave, to love God and each other. They keep telling me that there's more to it than that. They have forgotten that under those two commands hangs all the Law.
Indeed the gospel message is that these two commandments superseded the law and makes it obsolete, though the contradictory remark in Matthew - but none of the others - about jots and tittles is often trotted out as some sort of evidence that this is not the case.

In the case of one of our posters whom I won't name in case that is misunderstood, the Bible - the Gospels in fact - were somewhat deprecated as not being all that important as a basis for faith, which I must say surprised me rather since that's like saying that the law books are not all that important as a basis for the legal system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality