Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 04:53 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,751,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
They treat some like 'cases' until they can win them.

Thanks for help.
because it's in the bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 05:44 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,218,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
There isn't any way to tell who is a believer or who isn't without asking, as a general rule. Christian's aren't required to wear an arm band or something, you know, and since "chrisitian" beliefs can run the gamut from Bible-believing evangelical's to those who follow the channeled spirit of Jesus, the only way to ascertain whether or not a person is in need of salvation is to engage them in conversation. Moreover, since far too many Christian denominations think they, and they alone, have the "whole" truth, everyone seems to be fair game. In short, it's not just atheist's or agnostic's who are targeted; it's everyone!
Oh don't get me wrong, I do understand the whole concept of xianity and the various denoms and dogmas. We have a similar situation here in SA and while we do not have these door-door folk anymore or in our malls due to harassment and entitlement laws, the question was posed as to what qualifies the folk to proselytize. You answered it perfectly and it is in fact very ironic that the claim to fame of the majority xian nation is a bit of a stretch.

It really indicates strongly that the majority do not give a crap about your religion and the stats are in fact about 20% if that.

I had folk evangelize me when I was a woo woo and wore the xian cross around my neck and I did it so folk would see it, not as some lucky charm.

It really comes down to you folk really do not know anything supernatural or are led by the hs as to who today should be touched. Pretty much a hit and miss thing.
Quote:
And, yes, some sects or denominations are very agressive about their outreach ministries to the point that even I, a good, solid Southern Baptist, have had to tell some of them to get the hell off my front porch and don't come back.

The point is that some of y'all seem to be a little too sensitive about it and tend to personalize what the rest of us go through too. Nobody is "after" you because you're an atheist.
No, I do not think folk take it personally. However, I do think you would be pe'ed off if some folk waltzed into your sacred services, invaded your privacy and tried to sell congregants say The god delusion books by going person to person in the pews?

When I go shopping, the last thing I need is someone telling me about god. It is anyway merely canvassing for new gullible blood to join your tribe as a big tribe by virtue of friends of friends, will assist growth and the coffers fill up just a wee bit more.

Of course these poor deluded fools are merely coerced into this by the "not being ashamed of the gospel.." meme but frankly ignore the commandment by jesus of not going house to house.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:33 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,122,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
They treat some like 'cases' until they can win them.

Thanks for help.

Glad to help, hose!

Some cases are by their nature "unwinnable" when souls are to be won at any cost. In my opinion, most of the commercial evangelism you see and hear about is doomed from the start on account of disigenuous methods. The motives are all wrong. The dollar is king. Quotas to fill. If these churches are not just thinly disguised money-making enterprises, they are whorehouses. And sometimes they are personal harems for the David Koreshes and Jim Joneses of the world.

Watch out for bad religion!

Last edited by Theophane; 07-08-2011 at 07:43 AM..

Old 07-08-2011, 07:52 AM

290 posts, read 388,829 times
it's not just Christianity.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:53 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,735,111 times
It's called the great Commision...
But If you don't want to listen that's fine. I'll still pray for you......
Matthew 28:16-20

Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Old 07-08-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidrAkirE View Post
It's everybody.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
It's called the great Commision...
But If you don't want to listen that's fine. I'll still pray for you......
Matthew 28:16-20

Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
"Preach the Gospel at all times. When necessary, use words."
~St. Francis of Assisi

I like St. Francis' interpretation of the Great Commission. I prefer it over that of the Crusades.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:20 PM

664 posts, read 856,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Have you tried saying "No thank you" to someone who's pushing their religion in your face because they think you need to be "saved?" In my experience, you have to go a little further than that; they don't take "no" for an answer.

i tried sayin' no thank you to a Muslim and he just wouldn't let up. i just had to stop talkin' to him.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Oh don't get me wrong, I do understand the whole concept of xianity and the various denoms and dogmas. We have a similar situation here in SA and while we do not have these door-door folk anymore or in our malls due to harassment and entitlement laws, the question was posed as to what qualifies the folk to proselytize. You answered it perfectly and it is in fact very ironic that the claim to fame of the majority xian nation is a bit of a stretch.

It really indicates strongly that the majority do not give a crap about your religion and the stats are in fact about 20% if that.

I had folk evangelize me when I was a woo woo and wore the xian cross around my neck and I did it so folk would see it, not as some lucky charm.

It really comes down to you folk really do not know anything supernatural or are led by the hs as to who today should be touched. Pretty much a hit and miss thing.

No, I do not think folk take it personally. However, I do think you would be pe'ed off if some folk waltzed into your sacred services, invaded your privacy and tried to sell congregants say The god delusion books by going person to person in the pews?

When I go shopping, the last thing I need is someone telling me about god. It is anyway merely canvassing for new gullible blood to join your tribe as a big tribe by virtue of friends of friends, will assist growth and the coffers fill up just a wee bit more.

Of course these poor deluded fools are merely coerced into this by the "not being ashamed of the gospel.." meme but frankly ignore the commandment by jesus of not going house to house.

i'm gonna say this LOL. if you don't want to hear them, walk on by. i mean go the other way. there will by people who will want to hear about Christ. they will stop and listen, but like said if it's not your cup of tea, just walk on by. go on bout your shoppin'!

Old 07-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidrAkirE View Post

thank you for sayin' that because Musilms do it also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality