Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 02:05 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahhen1 View Post
Is there a one true religion, or all are delusion? Thanks for any help
Believe in your heart of hearts what is truth...is what God says is truth...You are part of God...Your body is the temple...Your soul is the spirit of doing...for the greator Good of all...or the selfishness of self...

You need food, water, air, and soil...to be flesh and spirit in one state....it is made for you....live.
Now while you live...food becomes a matter of importance...as does water....and to some extend it needs to be clean enough so that is does not harm your system of flesh...hence keep it clean.
As Goes the Air...
As Goes the other living things we eat...or don't eat...our neighbours!

Do onto them as you would have done onto you!

Ah respect...Love...Kindness...awareness...of what makes this place work....it is all...and in all we are part partners, and part enemies...because we as the flesh have forgotten what is important...which is all living things....they are vital elementals to the workings of the matrix.

If we pollute them..or poison them...they will do the same to us.
If we falsely Judge them, they will falsely Judge us...
If we profane them, after being told what is Good, and what is bad...then we make error occur..accedentals and collisions...out of that.

So..to be mindful of what is, and what is important..is God...the truth of self....and the whole...working in union.

Too far out of balance and the scales tip to purge the threat...

Now what did God make us for...let us not forget, that we are to tend the gardens...share, give, care, help, and solve...error!...no money required...and if it is ingraven, and worshipped, and made more important than People or living things....it will be destroyed along with the evil and sin that goes with it....

So do not listen to the lies now spun to make war...We all know what happened...wtc 9/11 2001...

Draw those lines...and woe and wrath on the Earth....why?...Pollution of the whole creation...not thinking I'd say...and people are getting sicker and sicker with uncurable things...even the food is tainted now...wonder why?

Think about it more clearly...What is the truth?...God is the truth!...

Do what God said to do, remember why god made you, a helper of the Garden..with all seeds in mind..do not omit anything or false second Judge what God said was Good and Gave, Give back what was taken without permission sinlessly...be sinless...repent of any sins you may have done...stand out of their sins when they make war, hatred, lies, and underhandedness...forget about money...God is more important...give, share, care..and do good things...all living things are our neighbours...Love thy neighbour as thyself...keep it clean and presteen for the next generation to come through it...so they too can have....Is this not eterntally possible?...well if the world continues to slaugher animal and Humans, imprison with false Judgements, pollute, and irradiate and make it toxic and genetically modified?while prohibiting certain other plants from being sown that are vital to the matrix...??????...I have no hope for them...

Last edited by Sir Les; 10-18-2011 at 02:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 08:33 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Hmmm, I guess that would make religions a collection of delusions then.
That conclusion sounds reasonable to me!!

Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
In the world of psychiatry religious beliefs are generally not considered to be delusions.

The reason for this is not because psychiatrists consider religious beliefs to be true, but because the test of a delusion is not whether it is a belief that runs counter to reality, but a belief that runs counter to consensually validated reality.

The problem with this is, of course, that while one can objectively test whether the toaster sitting on one's kitchen counter is talking to you, one cannot objectively test a consensual belief that an invisible man in the sky is talking to you.

This technicality aside, I would say that yes, religious beliefs, being entirely impervious to evidentiary evaluation, are delusional.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
In the world of psychiatry religious beliefs are generally not considered to be delusions.

The reason for this is not because psychiatrists consider religious beliefs to be true, but because the test of a delusion is not whether it is a belief that runs counter to reality, but a belief that runs counter to consensually validated reality.

The problem with this is, of course, that while one can objectively test whether the toaster sitting on one's kitchen counter is talking to you, one cannot objectively test a consensual belief that an invisible man in the sky is talking to you.

This technicality aside, I would say that yes, religious beliefs, being entirely impervious to evidentiary evaluation, are delusional.
But the world of psychiatry says otherwise. Do you take any stock in psychiatry? It recently pronounced homosexuality NOT a mental disease.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I believe this web site has the detailed explanation you seek...

Religion
I stopped reading about halfway through, I might continue after I stop laughing. Why do people always point out the santa myth? We all know it's a myth aka a story we tell children for the holidays. Nothing I see wrong with btw. I dont know of many sane adults that believe in santa... do YOU?

Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
But the world of psychiatry says otherwise. Do you take any stock in psychiatry? It recently pronounced homosexuality NOT a mental disease.
It's not that recent, and the decision was 100% correct.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:27 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I stopped reading about halfway through, I might continue after I stop laughing. Why do people always point out the santa myth? We all know it's a myth aka a story we tell children for the holidays. Nothing I see wrong with btw. I dont know of many sane adults that believe in santa... do YOU?
God is just Santa for adults. It's the same concept, every bit as mythical.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
God is just Santa for adults. It's the same concept, every bit as mythical.
Proof? We can prove Santa doesn't exist. Just go to the north pole. But the concept of God? Not saying I believe in God, just that we can't exactly prove there is not God. I know.... I know.. you can't prove a negative... Actually you can and I posted that in another forum.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:04 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipFlask View Post
Vejadu, please list the "rude or condescending" remarks made ahead of your post and explain why they're rude or condescending. Each post from an atheist on this thread prior to your post was factual in nature and not the least bit rude.

Perhaps the oversensitivity of religious people, and their arrogand demand that all accept their beliefs as fact, is the real problem here.
The term 'delusion' itself is insulting, which implies mental disorder. Within the first ten posts we heard:

"...also suspect that any/all of the gods are just as real as is the Easter Bunny, Pecos Bill, or Paul Bunyan."
- Which compares one's closely-held beliefs about God to children's characters which are widely-known to be make believe.

"The Flying Spaghetti Monster! (Unlike YahWeh; this one makes yah feel good, is only slightly habit-forming, comes in colors red & pleasant, and has a world-wide following & appeal, esp. in the pleasant, sunny Mediterranean. How much better is that than the guilt-assigning Abrahamic version?)"
- The Spaghetti Monster meme that always pops up through these discussions. Such a ridiculous assertion is obviously mocking the beliefs of those who hold faith in God.

"and many religions have some really delusional concepts such as the idea a god came to earth, impregnated a young child in order to give birth to himself, just so he could be born and walk around long enough for people to discover magic crackers..... or that an illiterate Pedophile who also likely suffered from Cynophobia... while sitting in a cave was dictated a book by invisible beings and that this book is the last word these invisible voices would ever bring to earth."
- This whole block is written in an insulting and condescending tone, taking religious claims, rewording them in absurd context. The concept of the big bang and evolution can be written in the same way and sound equally stupid if you word it properly.

I don't deny that many people of faith, myself included, are overly sensitive when Atheists/Agnostics use this type of language to imply that if you still believe in God, you're no different than a child who believes in Santa or that you're a moron who refuses to accept science. You have to realize that to many people, their faith is core to their being; when you challenge or insult their faith, you're making a deeply personal assumption or attack on this person.

I do not demand that you accept my beliefs as fact. You're free to believe whatever you choose. Some people of faith are pretty pushy and want everyone to convert, but the vast majority are completely passive regarding their faith.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:13 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Do you not see the parallels between the Santa story and some of the far fetched things you and many of the religious believe are true? Things like reki, magic minerals, the power of pyramids, pregnant virgins, resurrection of the dead, and a thousand other impossible things that are seen as real by people such as yourself...

You may have laughed reading the link I provided, but I get my laughs here on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality