Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:34 PM

87 posts, read 77,721 times

Advertisements

Is there a one true religion, or all are delusion? Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 08:45 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,872,981 times
is all religion, delusion?

I suspect there is no real evidence for the existence of any of the gods. I also suspect that any/all of the gods are just as real as is the Easter Bunny, Pecos Bill, or Paul Bunyan.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:26 PM

33,566 posts, read 37,172,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
is all religion, delusion?

I suspect there is no real evidence for the existence of any of the gods. I also suspect that any/all of the gods are just as real as is the Easter Bunny, Pecos Bill, or Paul Bunyan.
Hmmm, I guess that would make religions a collection of delusions then.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:29 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,926,037 times
The only One True Religion & God is, obviously, the only one we can touch. taste and savor:

The Flying Spaghetti Monster!

(Unlike YahWeh; this one makes yah feel good, is only slightly habit-forming, comes in colors red & pleasant, and has a world-wide following & appeal, esp. in the pleasant, sunny Mediterranean. How much better is that than the guilt-assigning Abrahamic version?)

Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,200,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahhen1 View Post
Essentially, yes. They are a delusion.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:30 AM

659 posts, read 1,102,861 times
Quote:
Surprisingly enough, it's Scientology. Yup. Scientology. How 'bout that?

Old 10-14-2011, 12:57 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,437,245 times
People need to believe in life after death, not everybody of course. Throughout history
there has been believing in, and praying to gods. I say live, and let live, bit it's not for me.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:02 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,380,048 times
Quote:
I can not speak for all religions as I have not explored them all and I can not speak for things I do not know.

However I have explored a great number and the answer to your question for THOSE ones appears to be a resounding "Yes". They all appear to be delusions.

The main issue is that the majority of religions are built around the same entirely unsubstantiated idea: That there exists some kind of non-human intelligence and this intelligence is responsible for the creation and/or subsequent maintenance of our universe.

So if the core idea is unsubstantiated then everything people pile on TOP of that idea is even worse.... and many religions have some really delusional concepts such as the idea a god came to earth, impregnated a young child in order to give birth to himself, just so he could be born and walk around long enough for people to discover magic crackers..... or that an illiterate Pedophile who also likely suffered from Cynophobia... while sitting in a cave was dictated a book by invisible beings and that this book is the last word these invisible voices would ever bring to earth.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:17 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,403,309 times
delusion: a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary; also: the abnormal state marked by such beliefs

The bits about "psychotic belief" and "indisputable evidence" would lead me to say no, it's not delusional.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:02 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,622,136 times
Honestly, there's no way for us to know until we die and we either meet our maker in the afterlife or simply cease to exist. Those who don't believe in God will answer accordingly (usually rudely or condescendingly, as evidenced by some of the previous posts) and those who do will answer the existence of God in the affirmative (and often with a message of damnation for the nonbelievers.) That's where the majority of these types of threads end up -- as a shouting match between the Spaghetti-monster joking, insult-throwing "intellectuals" and the fire and brimstone rhetoric of believers.

This thread might as well be asking are you a believer, Atheist or Agnostic. Those are the answers you are going to get, but you need to decide for yourself. Learn about various religions with an open mind and see if any of them resonate with you. If you come to the end of the road without finding any feelings of truth from any religion, that's OK too.

Know that many of those who try to steer you towards or away from religion feel they're doing what they believe is best for others. Believers feel they're saving others from damnation by bringing them to God. Nonbelievers think that individuals can live a better, more fulfilling life on earth without the illusion of God. Unfortunately, many don't communicate that in a constructive manner. Shouting that you're going to burn in hell or that you're a unintelligent twit who still believes in fairy tales isn't going to win any converts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality