Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 04:05 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,226,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Mike, the thread-starter, here...why can you not receive anything outside of mere intellect? You want proof of things that come from within? have you never gone within and experienced ANYYthing that you can't explain, or account for?
Have you really never known something and yet not known how you knew it?
The brain catalogues everything it has ever taken note of.
You aren't even aware of the millions of pieces of data being collecetd constantly,
More often than not, you can't consciously summon up that information or remember what page it's on but very often a correlation of those facts occur subconsciously and deliver the summation to you .
It's usually called 'instinct'.
For theists on religious matters, it's often called "what's written in your heart"...just stuff you've heard and absorbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 07:09 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,142,277 times
Quote:
Mike, the thread-starter, here...why can you not receive anything outside of mere intellect?
What would be the point.

Quote:
You want proof of things that come from within?
When someone says that we owe our existence to a creator. Then yeah I want proof. I want proof of anything presented as fact.

Quote:
have you never gone within and experienced ANYYthing that you can't explain, or account for?
Nope.

Quote:
Have you really never known something and yet not known how you knew it?
Not that I can say that I honestly remember. But to attribute that to a godlike or some supernatural force would be .........dare I say moronic?

Old 10-29-2011, 09:34 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,777,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Why is it so hard for the great majority of us to just accept that our existence is due to nothing more than chance? There are some crazy ideas floating around on C-D's R&P forum. Some that sound as if they are straight out of a Sci-Fi novel. Why does there need to be some greater cosmic/divine purpose? What are we all so afraid of? Why do we accept things as fact with no proof?
In response ----

1. No One truly accepts that we are here by chance ; 3 world top ATHEIST Biology scientists calculated that the chance of first life popping into existence from the atmosphere via atheistic abiogenesis (via dead raw chemicals) is a faith busting 1 in 10^40,000 th probability . Thats what One has to force themselves to believe if they are going to go the atheistic first life route.

2. There needs to be a personal theistic Creator/Designer/Sustainer for our personal incredibly fine tuned Cosmos due to the 150+ LIfe Enabling Constants that are scientifically confirmed and measurable ...some to the 120th decimal point in critical tolerance otherwise we arent here . And all of these must work in collaboration with each other. This is just one of MANY scientific proofs that a personal willful theistic Creator is necessary. If you want much more of the evidence, then visit www.reasons.org or do a simple google since the information is readily available providing the Person is truly willing .

3. Theres nothing at all to be afraid of, so long as you dont keep on rejecting THE most important issue of all time that faces man : To return the love of the Creator , to enjoy him, and to get to know him better. Everything else is far secondary to this fundamental purpose in our lives...what could possibly be higher and more important (?) . Im not suggesting embarking on a religious quest , but diligently investigating the scientific evidences and being willing to go where they lead. Theres a good reason why most U.S. Presidents , unbiased Scientists, Philosophers, Medical Doctors, and the very wise among us ... go the special Creation route. No, im not prosletizing here...but i am suggesting people look at the evidences which are detectable as design and incredible engineering and be willing to go where it leads.

4. Theres plenty of proof thats all around us and IN us ; its not that people cant believe in and follow the Creator...its that they wont. In fact, a good many people wont even bother taking the first step to investigating . Frankly when i was a proclaimed atheist of some 10 adult years, I had this bias myself .... I found I didnt want anything to interfere with my personal agenda which included the freedom to engage in any lifestyle choice I desired and the possibility of God existing was a severe fly in the ointment.

Hope that gives you some insight . The rest is left up to you and your willingness. Regards.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
. Frankly when i was a proclaimed atheist of some 10 adult years, I had this bias myself .... I found I didnt want anything to interfere with my personal agenda which included the freedom to engage in any lifestyle choice I desired and the possibility of God existing was a severe fly in the ointment.

Hope that gives you some insight . The rest is left up to you and your willingness. Regards.
I suggest you don't transfer what you did or felt to others.
My ethics and behaviors changed not one iota after I rejected your god
They are based on what I determine to be sensible logical reasons.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:09 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,777,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I suggest you don't transfer what you did or felt to others.
My ethics and behaviors changed not one iota after I rejected your god
They are based on what I determine to be sensible logical reasons.
Isnt freedom of speech and public Forums like CityData designed for dispensing information of a personal nature based on previous personal experience ? I believe so .

Im not suggesting that those who want to reject God cant be moral and ethical if they so choose, although it would seem to me that if one embraces atheistic Moral Relativism ... it makes sense that the person is going to excersise that construct .

May I inquire as to your sensible logical reasons for concluding that naturalism and materialism is a more credible worldview , and how what we have looks like the result of random chaos and accidents ad infinitum ? Thanks.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:19 AM

The earlier part of your quoted statement is
"its not that people cant believe in and follow the Creator...its that they wont. In fact, a good many people wont even bother taking the first step to investigating . Frankly when i was a proclaimed atheist of some 10 adult years, I had this bias myself "
In different words that says " I also......." indicating you think thats why others won't "follow the Creator..."
If you read what I said again, you'll find the sensible logical reasons apply to ethics and had nothing to do with chaos, accidents, worldview, etc.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:09 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,936,273 times
I love how GCST's post was completely ignored by the OP. How about some comments or counterpoints to each assertion made in that post?

Last edited by imcurious; 10-29-2011 at 10:15 PM..

Old 10-29-2011, 10:05 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I love how GCST's post was completely ignored by the OP. How about some answers to each question posed in that post?
Post #33 was rich as well.
I'm curious about this, have you ever noticed how some people have (perhaps unconsciously) allowed their biases to turn them into living caricatures? They're sort of like real-life zombies.

Last edited by gabfest; 10-29-2011 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: msp.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,936,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Post #33 was rich as well.
I'm curious about this, have you ever noticed how some people have (perhaps unconsciously) allowed their biases to turn them into living caricatures? They're sort of like real-life zombies.
I modified my post to ask for comments or counterpoints to every assertion made by GCST.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:40 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I modified my post to ask for comments or counterpoints to every assertion made by GCST.
o.k.(?)
Well I do not believe nothing exists for starters and if it does exist, it exist outside of our universe...so in that light I guess I'am a bit biased myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality