Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:58 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,011,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
...its not that people cant believe in and follow the Creator...its that they wont. In fact, a good many people wont even bother taking the first step to investigating . Frankly when i was a proclaimed atheist of some 10 adult years, I had this bias myself .... I found I didnt want anything to interfere with my personal agenda which included the freedom to engage in any lifestyle choice I desired and the possibility of God existing was a severe fly in the ointment.
And because this was YOUR case, you assume that a 'good many people' are like YOU were??? Like Old_Cold pointed out, since rejecting the god idea, my morals have NOT changed one bit. Sounds like you had a problem you are projecting on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 09:10 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,142,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I love how GCST's post was completely ignored by the OP. How about some comments or counterpoints to each assertion made in that post?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Post #33 was rich as well.
I'm curious about this, have you ever noticed how some people have (perhaps unconsciously) allowed their biases to turn them into living caricatures? They're sort of like real-life zombies.
There is just not enough time in the day to respond to every post. Nor would I wish to if there was. Thank you both for your opinions but you know what they say about opinions. Now for some braaainssss.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:17 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,553,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Why is it so hard for the great majority of us to just accept that our existence is due to nothing more than chance? There are some crazy ideas floating around on C-D's R&P forum. Some that sound as if they are straight out of a Sci-Fi novel. Why does there need to be some greater cosmic/divine purpose? What are we all so afraid of? Why do we accept things as fact with no proof?
Once a person's mind is programmed to believe in the absurdity of a god, then their mind becomes the fertile breeding ground for many other absurdities.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:23 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,561,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Once a person's mind is programmed to believe in the absurdity of a god, then their mind becomes the fertile breeding ground for many other absurdities.
Like people who believe there is intellegent life on other plants...with...zero...evidence.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:39 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,349,135 times
Quote:
Why is it so hard for the great majority of us to just accept that our existence is due to nothing more than chance? There are some crazy ideas floating around on C-D's R&P forum. Some that sound as if they are straight out of a Sci-Fi novel. Why does there need to be some greater cosmic/divine purpose? What are we all so afraid of? Why do we accept things as fact with no proof?
Can you show me indisputable scientific evidence that our existence is nothing more than chance?

Old 10-30-2011, 10:01 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,325,544 times
because we need and yearn for a Greater Being

or because we have faith and we know

or because there is a Jungian cosmic subconscious

or we wonder how all the random chaos can fit just perfectly without a Creator

or we just need to believe in a future life beyond our mortal one

and got to say the institutions established do a lot to give people plenty of reason not to believe.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:02 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,937,171 times
Quote:
There is just not enough time in the day to respond to every post. Nor would I wish to if there was. Thank you both for your opinions but you know what they say about opinions. Now for some braaainssss.
Because you won't even ADDRESS the numerous assertions made by those posters, I conclude that YOUR thoughts on the subject are completely without foundation, probably in reaction to something . . . you obviously are not willing to entertain logical arguments.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:19 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,778,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The earlier part of your quoted statement is
"its not that people cant believe in and follow the Creator...its that they wont. In fact, a good many people wont even bother taking the first step to investigating . Frankly when i was a proclaimed atheist of some 10 adult years, I had this bias myself "
In different words that says " I also......." indicating you think thats why others won't "follow the Creator..."
If you read what I said again, you'll find the sensible logical reasons apply to ethics and had nothing to do with chaos, accidents, worldview, etc.
Ive talked to MANY former atheists and have read alot of books by former atheists and in addition to my own personal experience of wanting to be one...I can accurately say that very very few are willing to diligently dig into the evidence for special creationism because they have an apriori-philosophical bias toward materialism and naturalism. As one prominent Evolutionist by the name of Prof. Lewontin publicly said :'.....for, we cannot allow a divine foot in the door' . So much for objective reason .

Staying on the subject of ethics, how does an atheist get this idea of moral oughtness and wanting to demonstrate ethical standards from a materialistic (only) Cosmos ? How do such constructs ultimately arrive from rocks, dirt, hydrogen gas , et al ...and how much does love or discernment weigh in a material only universe ? Lastly, how do you justify being moral and ethical if they are not derived from a higher standard than yourself ? Finally, if you dont believe there are absolute moral standards and values for all people .... why do your reactions show you have an absolute moral law written on your heart whenever you are morally violated by another ?

Last edited by 007.5; 10-30-2011 at 10:29 AM..

Old 10-30-2011, 10:23 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,778,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
And because this was YOUR case, you assume that a 'good many people' are like YOU were??? Like Old_Cold pointed out, since rejecting the god idea, my morals have NOT changed one bit. Sounds like you had a problem you are projecting on others.
Would these be morals in accordance to YOUR standards or a standard beyond and higher than personal opinion ?

Old 10-30-2011, 10:26 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,937,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Ive talked to MANY former atheists and have read alot of books by former atheists and in addition to my own personal experience of wanting to be one...I can accurately say that very very few are willing to diligently dig into the evidence for special creationism because they have an apriori-philosophical bias toward materialism and naturalism. As one prominent Evolutionist by the name of Prof. Lewontin publicly said :'.....for, we cannot allow a divine foot in the door' . So much for objective reason .

Staying on the subject of ethics, how does an atheist get this idea of moral oughtness and wanting to demonstrate ethical standards from a materialistic (only) Cosmos ? How do such constructs ultimately arrive from rocks, dirt, hydrogen gas , et al ? Lastly, how do you justify being moral and ethical if they are not derived from a higher standard than yourself ? Finally, if you dont believe there are absolute moral standards and values for all people .... why do your reactions show you have an absolute moral law written on your heart whenever you are morally violated by another ?
Let's see if you get any seriously thought out responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality