Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 03:06 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,143,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Those are your thoughts and world-views, we are not in a 100% communist/absolutist society as of yet, so far the time being we should be free to discuss what we'd like to an extent.
Absolutely. We are all free to express our thoughts and ideas. I've never thought otherwise. What I'm trying to get thought is our irrational need to matter beyond our current existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 04:44 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,815,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
People see what they want, evidence it does not make.
Could not the same be said of you?

Quote:
Again a greater number of adherents does not make you position stronger.
The fact that so many believe in a creator suggests there must be some evidence.

Quote:
Also who should tell all the Hindus and Buddhists that they're completely wrong because they're in the minority.
We're not talking about any particular creator.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:45 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,401,374 times
The fact that so many believe in a creator suggests there must be some evidence.

We were told that Iraq had WMD's and the majority of people believed it. We were told it and sold it, but just because people believed didn't make it true.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Could not the same be said of you?
No, I see zero evidence. I don't take others feeling or beliefs as evidence.
Again I ask on what other than feeling and faith can anyone say there is a creator?

Quote:
Once the vast majority thought: The world was flat. The Earth was the center of the universe. I could go on and on and on.......didn't mean it was right.

Quote:
We're not talking about any particular creator.
Quote:
I see plenty of evidence. So do most people. Most of the world's religions believe in the same creator.
I certainly sounds like you are. What evidence?

This is the long and short of it when it come to "a creator." Either one of the religions throughout the history of mankind has it right or none of them do. I'll put my money on the latter.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:00 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,564,756 times
Quote:
Why is it so hard for the great majority of us to just accept that our existence is due to nothing more than chance? There are some crazy ideas floating around on C-D's R&P forum. Some that sound as if they are straight out of a Sci-Fi novel. Why does there need to be some greater cosmic/divine purpose? What are we all so afraid of? Why do we accept things as fact with no proof?
So....

...what proof do you have that supports your view that we are here by mere chance? Or are you just speculating?

I keep asking this question and, so far nothing but opinion.

//www.city-data.com/forum/21466053-post37.html

Old 10-27-2011, 07:56 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,815,887 times
Quote:
No, I see zero evidence. I don't take others feeling or beliefs as evidence.
Again I ask on what other than feeling and faith can anyone say there is a creator?
So, because you see zero evidence, it's not possible?

Quote:
Once the vast majority thought: The world was flat. The Earth was the center of the universe. I could go on and on and on.......didn't mean it was right.
Doesn't prove there's not a creator.

Quote:
I certainly sounds like you are. What evidence?

This is the long and short of it when it come to "a creator." Either one of the religions throughout the history of mankind has it right or none of them do. I'll put my money on the latter.
Again, we're talking about a creator in general, not specific.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:17 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,877,763 times
Quote:
How about we start with mankind's need for a cosmic/divine reason for existence. Or our fear of there being no reason at all.
I doubt that mankind needs a cosmic/divine reason for existence. A lot of us would much rather believe in things that seem true, and actually have evidence that they exist. I believe in friendship, I believe in love. Religion just muddies up the waters of logic.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So....

...what proof do you have that supports your view that we are here by mere chance? Or are you just speculating?

I keep asking this question and, so far nothing but opinion.

//www.city-data.com/forum/21466053-post37.html
What I see does not point to there being a creator. I see no evidence of ANY kind to support it. How does one ignore this huge hurdle? The lack of evidence supports my view. What supports yours?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:37 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,564,756 times
Quote:
What I see does not point to there being a creator. I see no evidence of ANY kind to support it. How does one ignore this huge hurdle? The lack of evidence supports my view. What supports yours?
Quite a bit of evidence and personal experieces that can not be explained away.

But in my expeience a lot of skeptics find a reason to dismiss the various proofs that I have experienced. Most are weak and show a reluctance to change one's mindset.

My BIG question is there any evidence to support the notion that the Universe just came to be-somehow magically-into being all on its own. Logic suggests otherwise. Can you explain why mathimatics can describe how things work or that DNA is actually a written code? Can you demonstrate they both are just the result of chance? Logic says if there is a code there has to be a code writer. Math...? Good luck on suggesting that just exists due to random chance.

But maybe you can prove me wrong. Side note: "I don't know" is not very convincing in these sort of dicussions.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Quite a bit of evidence and personal experieces that can not be explained away.

But in my expeience a lot of skeptics find a reason to dismiss the various proofs that I have experienced. Most are weak and show a reluctance to change one's mindset.

My BIG question is there any evidence to support the notion that the Universe just came to be-somehow magically-into being all on its own. Logic suggests otherwise. Can you explain why mathimatics can describe how things work or that DNA is actually a written code? Can you demonstrate they both are just the result of chance? Logic says if there is a code there has to be a code writer. Math...? Good luck on suggesting that just exists due to random chance.

But maybe you can prove me wrong. Side note: "I don't know" is not very convincing in these sort of dicussions.
Then by your logic who created your creator? If your creator can be eternal then why not the universe? My big question is if you don't believe that everything just "magically came into existence." How can you then be OK with some eternal magic entity bringing everything into existence?

Can you demonstrate that mathematics and DNA are not the result of chance?

You put forward the idea of a creator without even beginning to answer any of the following: Who,How,Why and When.

Your experiences do not constitute proof. No more than John Q Crazypants that said he saw Bigfoot. Mr. Crazypants then expects that everyone should also believe in Bigfoot. I saw him he says. Prove that I didn't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality