Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 08:39 PM

33,572 posts, read 37,188,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
One of the negatives of an Atheist world would be the tendecy to attack and destroy anything that would move toward the supernatural, if it sounds like a God. So it would be a Totalitarian state for sure! A centralized form of government in which those in control grant neither recognition nor tolerance to parties of differing opinions, if those opinions does not match their own. Probally close to Marxism. The forced decay of religion may even force those who were religious into labor camps, under Marxisms theory of labor.
Yup, be afraid! Atheists are evil and will put the religious into concentration camps...Where do you get this clap trap? There are countries that are predominantly atheist, (For instance only 16% of people in Estonia believe in a god) and as far as I know the religious in those states have no restrictions on their freedom to worship what ever they want...

Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,952,224 times
Quote:
One of the negatives of an Atheist world would be the tendecy to attack and destroy anything that would move toward the supernatural, if it sounds like a God. So it would be a Totalitarian state for sure! A centralized form of government in which those in control grant neither recognition nor tolerance to parties of differing opinions, if those opinions does not match their own. Probally close to Marxism. The forced decay of religion may even force those who were religious into labor camps, under Marxisms theory of labor.
No, not really.

This is science fiction, but it explains atheist thinking pretty well. The story assumes a parallel world where the Neanderthals did not die out and where their world is based on atheism. Here is what the Neanderthal says in explaining where his morality comes from to a catholic from our human world

Quote:
"But, look," said Mary, "you still haven't answered my question about morality. Without a God—without a belief that you will be rewarded or punished after the end of your life—what drives morality among your people? I've spent a fair bit of time with you now, Ponter; I know you're a good person. Where does that goodness come from?"
"I behave as I do because it is right for me to do so."
"By whose standards?"
"By the standards of my people."
"But where do those standards come from?"
"From..." And here Ponter's eyes went wide, great orbs beneath an undulating shelf of bone, as though he'd had an epiphany—in the secular sense of the word, of course. "From our conviction that there is no life after death!" he said triumphantly. "That is why your belief troubles me; I can see it now. Our assertion is straightforward, and congruent with all observed fact: a person's life is completely finished at death; there is no possibility of reconciling with them, or making amends after they are gone, and no possibility that, because they lived a moral life, they are now in paradise, with the cares of this existence forgotten." He paused, and his eyes flicked left and right across Mary's face, apparently looking for signs she understood what he was getting at.
"Do you not see?" Ponter went on. "If I wrong someone—if I say something mean to them, or, I do not know, perhaps take something that belongs to them—under your world view I can console myself with the knowledge that, after they are dead, they can still be contacted; amends can be made. But in my world view, once a person is gone—which could happen for any of us at any moment, through accident or heart attack or so on—then you who did the wrong must live knowing that that person's entire existence ended without you ever having made peace with him or her."
Mary thought about that. Yes, most slave owners had ignored the issue, but surely some people of conscience, caught up in a society driven by bought-and-sold human beings, must have had qualms... and yet had they consoled themselves with the knowledge that the people they were mistreating would be rewarded for their suffering after death?

Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,596,767 times
Another negative aspect of an Atheist world rule is the possibility of " Nihilism." The thought that life is without objective meaning and purpose, or has intrinsic values. All civilizations experience their own extremes within the people, in a world of Atheist, this will also occur. An extreme Atheist who has dwarfed into Nihilism, can then morph into " Anomie", general moods of dispair, perceived pointlessness of existence , which can morph into " World Deconstruction."

Old 02-04-2012, 09:05 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,335,439 times
I think most atheists are " live and let live" and as long as the religious people don't cramp our style, we're good. We don't have the "my religion is better than yours" attitude. The world could only get better if religions were gone. Enough of the hypocrisy that comes with religion. No more wars to enslave people who believe something different.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,952,224 times
Quote:
Another negative aspect of an Atheist world rule is the possibility of " Nihilism." The thought that life is without objective meaning and purpose, or has intrinsic values. All civilizations experience their own extremes within the people, in a world of Atheist, this will also occur. An extreme Atheist who has dwarfed into Nihilism, can then morph into " Anomie", general moods of dispair, perceived pointlessness of existence , which can morph into " World Deconstruction."
Actually, it is Christians who are nihilists. The devalue life by portraying it as only a prelude to the next life. In the Christian view, our lives have meaning only for God. There is no intrinsic meaning, only one that comes from being a slave to God.

The atheist, otoh, has to create his or her own meaning for life.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I think most atheists are " live and let live" and as long as the religious people don't cramp our style, we're good. We don't have the "my religion is better than yours" attitude. The world could only get better if religions were gone. Enough of the hypocrisy that comes with religion. No more wars to enslave people who believe something different.

I disagree, a world of Atheism wouldnot stop war. In fact, in an Atheist world, scientific technology would increase by far, as would the advanced art of weapondry. An Atheist world would be far more dangerous at war than a Theist world would be.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:22 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,335,439 times
It would not completely stop war but that one reason for war would be gone. Atheists do have values and most would not blindly slaughter one another just because they could. They'd still fight over oil and land and such things though. I doubt wars will ever disappear. Someone will always start one over some crap...Atheists are people too and there are crazy zealots among them.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:24 PM

33,572 posts, read 37,188,083 times
Quote:
I disagree, a world of Atheism wouldnot stop war. In fact, in an Atheist world, scientific technology would increase by far, as would the advanced art of weapondry. An Atheist world would be far more dangerous at war than a Theist world would be.
Why do you think that? Atheistic countries today are much less violent than religious nations, so that pretty refutes your opinion.

Today the world's most dangerous countries are religious. http://www.forbes.com/2010/01/14/mos...stan-iraq.html

Old 02-04-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
It would not completely stop war but that one reason for war would be gone. Atheists do have values and most would not blindly slaughter one another just because they could. They'd still fight over oil and land and such things though. I doubt wars will ever disappear. Someone will always start one over some crap...Atheists are people too and there are crazy zealots among them.

An Atheist world would place heavy increases in scientific advancement, which naturally would implode into scientific weapondry, and the world would be, by default, a much more dangerous place.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:53 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,210,725 times
Quote:
One of the negatives of an Atheist world would be the tendecy to attack and destroy anything that would move toward the supernatural, if it sounds like a God...
That is untrue. You ignore the difference between a-theism and anti-theism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.