Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:29 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Proof positive requires empirical evidence. There isn't any in either direction.

Christians can't prove their claim, neither can Atheists. The closest thing that either side of this argument have to evidence is their belief and that wouldn't stand in court as solid proof. It's anecdotal at best.
In the entire history of humanity, gods have merely been beliefs in people's imaginations. There has never been any verifiable evidence of gods to begin with.

We are asked to disprove something wholly imaginary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 11:34 AM

100 posts, read 78,442 times
I just can't see how in this day in age, people believe in God.

They just don't understand the freedom one has without an authoritative figure keeping me accountable for all my actions and trying to make me live righteously through the words of his son.

Why should I live righteously? Look at the example that those in power have set for us.

Atheism gives you the opportunity to do whatever you want and if there is a rule against it, you can change it because there is no fundamental set of rules that usurps man's law.

If I see an attractive female, I can have sex with her and feel no remorse even though I'm currently in a relationship. As long as I cover my tracks, I can do as I wish.

If only people could understand the power of atheism, I think we would be able to convert more people to this lifestyle.

However, I will admit that if we suffer some sort of massive ecological collapse in which the entire world is affected, I may try to convince people they are responsible for their actions when they die because I don't want to be murdered myself.

I know that's hypocritical, but who says I can't lie? I'm an atheist.

And I love it.

Can anyone else relate?

Old 04-27-2012, 12:11 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Bowl View Post
I just can't see how in this day in age, people believe in God.

They just don't understand the freedom one has without an authoritative figure keeping me accountable for all my actions and trying to make me live righteously through the words of his son.

Why should I live righteously? Look at the example that those in power have set for us.

Atheism gives you the opportunity to do whatever you want and if there is a rule against it, you can change it because there is no fundamental set of rules that usurps man's law.

If I see an attractive female, I can have sex with her and feel no remorse even though I'm currently in a relationship. As long as I cover my tracks, I can do as I wish.

If only people could understand the power of atheism, I think we would be able to convert more people to this lifestyle.

However, I will admit that if we suffer some sort of massive ecological collapse in which the entire world is affected, I may try to convince people they are responsible for their actions when they die because I don't want to be murdered myself.

I know that's hypocritical, but who says I can't lie? I'm an atheist.

And I love it.

Can anyone else relate?
I can relate to a point.

There are fundamental moral issues we, as a whole, should embrace.

As for our "examples", the leaders we look up to, the overwhelming majority are Christian and most of them are poor moral examples.

I figure that if we live a good life, are respectful of others and can look at ourselves in the mirror without being ashamed of who we are, it's all good.

Morality isn't exclusive to religion.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:23 PM

376 posts, read 295,794 times
Explain quantum physics.

No offense, but I bet you can't do it...

The more I know, the more I realize that there are things that I don't and/or can't understand. Logically then, there must be things that the most inteilgent human on earth can't understand or explain.

The fact that something can't be explained doesn't affect whether it exists or not.

So I either have a maker I will have to meet, or I don't. I try to live life hedging my bet on the safe side.

That's my take.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 PM

100 posts, read 78,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I can relate to a point.

There are fundamental moral issues we, as a whole, should embrace.

As for our "examples", the leaders we look up to, the overwhelming majority are Christian and most of them are poor moral examples.

I figure that if we live a good life, are respectful of others and can look at ourselves in the mirror without being ashamed of who we are, it's all good.

Morality isn't exclusive to religion.
They may identify themselves as Christian, but how could they possibly be Christian if they don't follow the words of Christ?

It's a misnomer.

To be honest, it very well may be a facade.

The way I look at it is, there is only so much pie to go around and I need to grab a piece before it's all gone.

If I am not ruthless in my pursuits, and instead am bounded by moral imperatives, such as those espoused by Christ, I am socio-economically handcuffed.

So I have a new take on life.

Those in power consistantly manipulate their citizens, send them to war, and live lavishly without paying their fair share.

If they were truly Christian, they would turn the other cheek and be selfless in their pursuits.

I suspect they are heavily skeptical about the existance of a supreme diety, and they act accordingly.

If they have the authority to act the way they do, why should they fear anything?

I refuse to be subjegated to a rules set in place to govern me when those in power are hypocrites.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:11 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
A Personal Challenge - Please PROVE to me that "God" exists ............
Absolutely Impossible...................... Why? Because there is NOTHING there so how on earth can it be something that can be either Proven or Not proven..... it can't either way..... doesn't mean something exists because you can't disprove it............ you can't disprove or prove a NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2012, 01:18 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
A Personal Challenge - Please PROVE to me that "God" exists ............
Absolutely Impossible...................... Why? Because there is NOTHING there so how on earth can it be something that can be either Proven or Not proven..... it can't either way..... doesn't mean something exists because you can't disprove it............ you can't disprove or prove a NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately . . . until you have an adequate Source for our reality that encompasses the power and scope of it and its import to our puny existence . . . the "NOTHING" option is off the table. You may continue to reject the God label . . . but otherwise you are out of luck trying to claim NOTHING exists.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:43 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Unfortunately . . . until you have an adequate Source for our reality that encompasses the power and scope of it and its import to our puny existence . . . the "NOTHING" option is off the table. You may continue to reject the God label . . . but otherwise you are out of luck trying to claim NOTHING exists.
We can prove by exact scientific and quantitive facts that the Human race evolved over many many many years. The Earth was in existance long before life developed here and all of this can be absolutely proven with fact.
Creation by some kind of God however cannot be proven by any kind of factual analysis. This is why a God cannot be either proved or disproved because to do that.... a God would have to actually exist but there is no such thing as a God to even try to quantify.......... impossible, in fact, to prove in any way or disprove. To tell someone that you "believe" something exists with nothing to actually Analise is nothing more than a belief and beliefs only exist with hard cold facts......... beliefs without hard cold analytical facts are just "fairy tales" nothing more.
So now you see the "nothing" option completely applies to the concept of some kind of God........ in fact it is the only option as there is absolutely NO real proof or evidence of a God existing anywhere...... except in the mind..... like a child's imaginary friend........

Old 04-27-2012, 01:51 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Bowl View Post
There is no God. You can do whatever you want in life as long as you don't get caught.

If you get in a position of power, you can manipulate the public into being your slaves and providing for you.

You will have nobody to answer to. Atheism is true bliss.

Oh, how I love myself.
And many the person has gotten them in positions of power by playing the 'god' card in elections, and sadly there are far too many willfully ignorant that march in lock with the fairy tale.

Not to mention the corrupt to the core, corruption and abuse of powers struggles within the organized religions. At least that one can be avoided.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:01 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And many the person has gotten them in positions of power by playing the 'god' card in elections, and sadly there are far too many willfully ignorant that march in lock with the fairy tale.

Not to mention the corrupt to the core, corruption and abuse of powers struggles within the organized religions. At least that one can be avoided.
Yes. We have had this attempt to get over the fact that there is no good evidence for God by arguing that we need to believe in a God (aks Jesus Christ) because without it we would all be immoral, ruthless beasts.

The answers are many but the two I like best are:

(1) if you were (Dustbowl) suddenly to come to the conclusion that there was no God/Jesus, would you then turn into some kind of monster? Of course not; and neither do we.

(2) that we don't do so, even without the stick or carrot of the celestial, CCTV to keep us in order indicates that atheist morality is actually better than theist.

That little matter settled, (Dustbowl) could we get back on topic - can any theist get away from trying to make God look necessary by smearing atheism and actually make some kind of case for God as a probability as distinct from a remote possibility that no-one can totally disprove?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality